Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Extension cost for a kitchen

Options
  • 17-07-2012 8:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭

Just looking for pretty much a bricks and mortar job, nothing fancy at all.

size would be 14ft by 12ft.

with pvc window and door
    one window 5ft x 3.5ft ish
    one door 3ft x 6'8

would probably just go with a flat roof or tiled, whatever one is cheaper.

other than that, probably just the cost of plastering, wiring for 8 spot lights and plumbing for a sink and washing machine.

Just wondering if i can afford this.

How much for labour.
    How long.

Are their hidden costs in this im not thinking of?

I presume there is more to this than just blowing out part of the back wall, dig foundations. put up blocks. put in windows and doors. lob on the roof.
    Plaster and stick in my kitchen!!!

Any help much appreciated and any hitches you have had with doing an extension like this.

thanks people!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

I am about looking for similar extension. And while surveyor was at the house Iasked him to give me rough estimate of extension cost(almost same as your are considering) and he gave me 12-15K figure. Didn't ask detailed spec of the extension though.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,647 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what access is there to rear?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Extension cost
    If its as basic as you detailed - and depending in what part of the country your in - I'd estimate 80 euro per sq ft. That works out to 13440 euro for the sizes you've given, and is in line with 'zulfikarMD' estimate of 12 - 15 K.
    Allow something for budget overruns or extra features you 'add on'.
    Some other advice, you can't really just blow a hole in the back wall of your existing home - have amendments & design specification to the existing structure & steel work to carry the load of the existing rear wall carried out by a structural engineer with the correct Professional Indemnity to carry out the work, which should be checked when constructed & exposed, and certified by said engineer.

Also I'd stay away from flat roofs at all cost, unless very high spec. roofing system - they are prone to leaks, have a lifespan of 15 years (20 max) and you will find them hard to insure with most bricks and mortar insurance companies.
    Mike f

• Registered Users Posts: 6 happyniall

Thats very expensive. Im looking for an extension 3.5m x 5m and was quoted 13k. The builder would not break down the quote for me. I researched the materials alone and that came to 3k. And thats without electrics, tiling plastering. Some builder are still quoting like its the boom years. 1 block will set you back 70 cent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

happyniall wrote: »
    Thats very expensive. Im looking for an extension 3.5m x 5m and was quoted 13k. The builder would not break down the quote for me. I researched the materials alone and that came to 3k. And thats without electrics, tiling plastering. Some builder are still quoting like its the boom years. 1 block will set you back 70 cent
    So you have a quote for 13k but no breakdown. Did you provide the builder with a detailed set of tender documents or how did he know what to price. 13k would be good value for builders finish for that size of extension, but then again without knowing what you are getting it might not be. Remember sometimes cheapest doesn't end up cheapest in the long run.

• Advertisement
Advertisement