Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College of Computer Training (CCT)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 naimader

hiya im starting this programe too but dont know anything more.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mallister

So how have you guys been doing in there? Am thinking of taking an evening course there but havent a clue about whether the place is any good or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm just finishing my first symester there and loving it so far. Most of the lecturers are really good, I'm learning loads and for its size it has decent facilities. If you have any specific questions fire away and I'll try answer them

Nice one. Youd recommend it then? Are you there full-time or part-time? Im interested in the programming course. Are you learning a lot of programming stuff and is it well taught? Sounds like a stupid question but Im wary of some places which just throw a load of notes and stuff up on the web and leave you to it whereas I need a bit of practical hands-on education around java and the like.

I'm part-time which is about 16-18 hours a week. I've 5 modules:
    Maths
    Networking
    Programming
    Digital media
    Architecture

Programming is only a 3 hour class but we got the lecturer to add an extra hour to bring it to 4 which is plenty of time. We're learning simple java programming at the moment and so far it's great. Lecturer is decent, she goes through each lecture in detail and does examples during the class. She also has an assistant for about 2 hours of the class to help people who are struggling. The notes are also uploaded online with the examples done in class so you can work on it at home. Edit: as for practical, the class is usually an hour and a half or two of theory then the rest, two hours or so of practical

The only college I've been to before was DkIT and that was while doing an apprenticeship but I'd definitely recommend CCT

• Advertisement

Sounds good then. Thanks a million for the advice! Although the course Im looking at is less intense than what you are doing. I was looking at the Introduction to Programming which is just 3 hrs a week.

mallister wrote: »
    Sounds good then. Thanks a million for the advice! Although the course Im looking at is less intense than what you are doing. I was looking at the Introduction to Programming which is just 3 hrs a week.

I'd say they have a range of courses, fire off an email and I'm sure they'll be back to ya quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I've been looking into their courses too. Interested in this one. Any opinions appreciated.

Ken

I'm doing the Higher certificate, science in computing in IT so there's not much I can tell you about your course but the college and lecturers I've had so far have all been pretty good and I'd definitely recommend the college and my course to others

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭eoinp11

I know it is an old thread, but i'm wondering how everyone got on with this college? Or if anyone else has done it in the mean time, do they have any advise to offer.

I am looking at getting some certifications from there (beginning with procedural, object oriented and scripting languages)
    http://www.cct.ie/our-courses/part-time/coding-software-development-stream/7-programming-languages-pte-2000

I am wondering how seriously these certificates are taken in the industry? I wouldn't be relying on them but using them as a way to compliment self learning and further education. But at €800, it would be nice to know if it is a waste of time or not.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mayerock

hi guys, have anyone studied bachelor of science IT here? any recent feedback? im a bit scared about maths, i had always struggled with them in highshool (8 years ago) and Im a lil bit scared about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lochgarman512

Would definitely recommend the course. As for the maths in first year, it's the same as the LC Ordinary Level I did in 2009.

Advertisement