Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derelict houses on Rush main street to be redeveloped

Options
  • 17-07-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone on main street in Rush see the planning permission signs that went up today.
    From a very quick glance at it. It has the following
    Commercial
    Residential
    Discount Food Store
    Restaurant

I really hope we get no objections to this. Those houses are awful and such an eye sore on otherwise a really nice street.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone on main street in Rush see the planning permission signs that went up today.
    From a very quick glance at it. It has the following
    Commercial
    Residential
    Discount Food Store
    Restaurant

I really hope we get no objections to this. Those houses are awful and such an eye sore on otherwise a really nice street.

That's great news, they're a real eyesore. I brought a friend down to Rush recently and as we drove down the main street he described it as 'grim' - which didn't exactly fill me with local pride....

The only other thing that annoys me about the main street is all of the electrical wires that criss-cross the street. I wish they could have been put underground when the main street was dug up by eirgrid last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Looks like the discount shop is going to be Aldi some one posted this on the Rush Facebook page. I just hope they put a nice façade on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Looks like the discount shop is going to be Aldi some one posted this on the Rush Facebook page. I just hope they put a nice façade on it.

Agree on the facade. Rush CC need to insist on a decent front to the store. It will be a good boost to the street.

Agree on the cables they are awful. Jusr drive into Lusk and they have nice street lighting obviously thanks to Mr Farrell. We have local elections next year so might be a good time for locals to really look closely at this proposed development and insist on attractive and quality finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

LeoB wrote: »
    Agree on the facade. Rush CC need to insist on a decent front to the store. It will be a good boost to the street.

Agree on the cables they are awful. Jusr drive into Lusk and they have nice street lighting obviously thanks to Mr Farrell. We have local elections next year so might be a good time for locals to really look closely at this proposed development and insist on attractive and quality finish.

The lighting in Lusk was installed prior to Cllr Farrell coming to office and is primarily due to a strong Tidy Towns there. Rush Tidy Towns group is growing so hopefully they will eventually have the same success. Also, many community groups find that they can achieve community gain from developments in their areas, not by objecting or protesting but by having positive initiatives delivered by the developer at the request of the community.

That is the best way for Rush to obtain community gain from this development. For far too long development in the town has occurred without any community gain. This proposed development might be an opportunity for the town, rather than being seen as something negative. ;)

The lighting in Lusk was installed prior to Cllr Farrell coming to office and is primarily due to a strong Tidy Towns there. Rush Tidy Towns group is growing so hopefully they will eventually have the same success. Also, many community groups find that they can achieve community gain from developments in their areas, not by objecting or protesting but by having positive initiatives delivered by the developer at the request of the community.

That is the best way for Rush to obtain community gain from this development. For far too long development in the town has occurred without any community gain. This proposed development might be an opportunity for the town, rather than being seen as something negative. ;)

And here is me thinking, like a few others it was done when he was in office back a few years ago. Hopefully Rush will get a good facelift to make up for the neglect. I think Rush has turned a corner in many respects so lets hope for a brighter future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭SpatialPlanner

And here is me thinking, like a few others it was done when he was in office back a few years ago. Hopefully Rush will get a good facelift to make up for the neglect. I think Rush has turned a corner in many respects so lets hope for a brighter future.

I haven't looked at the plans yet but once the design is in line with planning Guidelines/best practice and ultimately the County Development Plan, the development will get permission. I believe it'll have a positive impact on the town. Although I can imagine a few retailers not being too happy about Lidl/Aldi coming in. Perhaps they need to look at the footfall that it will create in the Main Street. Businesses will benefit in the long run, IMO. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Aldi was mentioned in the previous threads on this.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75676559

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72483947

Read it first on Boards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

It will be great to finally see the back of those derelict houses.
    Looking on the Rush Needs You Facebook page though and it seems that there are plenty who arent too happy with the idea of Aldi opening up on the main street.

Surely something is better than nothing though, as there is nothing there at the moment and it is a huge eyesore?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Full Development Description (for Main Street, Rush)

Permission for development at this site at no. 10, 12, 14a and 14 (which is a protected structure), 16, 18 and 20 Upper Main Street, as well as nos. 44A and 44B Bollum Lane, and their associated lands in Rush, Co Dublin. The development will consist of a mixed-use commercial and residential development of 3,437 sq.m. that will include demolition of the properties at nos. 10, 12, 14a and 16 Upper Main Street; as well as t...hat of 44A and 44B Bollum Lane; and the construction of the following elements: Block 1 (1,689 sq.m.) to include single storey supermarket (discount foodstore - unit 1) measuring 1,452 sq.m. gross (990 sq.m. net) including a subsidiary licensed area which will be used for the display and sale of intoxicating liquor, including wines, beers and spirits for consumption off the premises; as well as 2 no. single sided internally illuminated signs (total 6.9 sq.m.) mounted on the north (5.1 sq.m.) and west (1.8sq.m.) elevation of the anchor. A two storey commercial property fronting Upper Main Street (Unit 2 - 237 sq.m.) including post office retail unit (124 sq.m.) with signage at ground floor (7.5 sq.m.) and office use (113 sq.m.) at first floor level. Block 2 (936 sq.m.) to include raising ridge height of nos. 18 and 20 Upper Main Street and change of use of the 2 no. two storey residential dwellings with new and internal modifications to create a new commercial block with two storey extension to rear to create 5 no. retail units (Unit3 - 68 sq.m., Unit 4 - 133 sq.m. Unit 5 - 149 sq.m., Unit 6 - 90 sq.m. and Unit 7 - 62 sq.m.) at ground floor level, with a gymnasium (365 sq.m.) at first floor level plus ancillary space. Block 3 (264 sq.m.) to include a two storey detached restaurant. Block 4 (428 sq.m.) to include construction of a terrace of 4 no. two storey three bedroom dwellings. Change of use, repair and extension (64 sq.m.) of the single storey thatched cottage (34 sq.m.) at 14 Upper Main Street (which is a protected structure) to a public exhibition hall (98 sq.m.) with external information advertising screen (4.3 sq.m.) on its eastern elevation fronting the public plaza and new signage to northern elevation of extension fronting Upper Main Street (2 sq.m.). In addition the development will consist of an ESB substation (22 sq.m.) and car parking for 129 cars and 36 no. bicycle spaces all at surface level; 1 no. 4.1m high double sided projecting internally illuminated sign (5.1 sq.m.) at the entrance off Upper Main Street; as well as all other associated signage, on site waste water treatment plant, plant, landscaping, including new public plaza to Upper Main Street, and site development works. Vehicular and pedestrian access to the commercial development is off Upper Main Street with a second pedestrian access off Bollum Lane. Vehicular access to the four no. residential units will be via a laneway off Convent Lane with pedestrian access to these units also being off this and via Cooper's Bank.

Source: Taken from Rush Needs You FB page, who took it from FingalCoCo Planning.

waraf wrote: »
    That's great news, they're a real eyesore. I brought a friend down to Rush recently and as we drove down the main street he described it as 'grim' - which didn't exactly fill me with local pride....

The only other thing that annoys me about the main street is all of the electrical wires that criss-cross the street. I wish they could have been put underground when the main street was dug up by eirgrid last year.

This is a Rush obsession for some strange reason, always pops up every time we have some major development in the town. Have we got more powerlines and phone cables than other towns in Fingal or Ireland? The Xmas lighting seems to be a major part of that criss crossing.

• Advertisement

This is a Rush obsession for some strange reason, always pops up every time we have some major development in the town. Have we got more powerlines and phone cables than other towns in Fingal or Ireland? The Xmas lighting seems to be a major part of that criss crossing.

Its a bit of an obsession ok but it does look a right mess. It would be nice if even from Skerries Rd to Gates of woods we could have nice street lights and about 80% less cables going accross the street. Its a chance to to improves the look of the street further.

Its a bit of an obsession ok but it does look a right mess. It would be nice if even from Skerries Rd to Gates of woods we could have nice street lights and about 80% less cables going accross the street. Its a chance to to improves the look of the street further.

Ok going to try putting this one to rest, at times I think the people of Rush come from the Greek School of Economics.:D

Yesterdays Irish Times
    Even local authorities with a high income from rates have said they will struggle to cope with the cuts. Fingal County Council relies on the Local Government Fund for less than 9 per cent of its budget. It allocation of €20.4 million is being reduced by €2.2 million or 10.25 per cent. That services will suffer is inevitable, county manager David O’Connor said. “Needless to say, this is extremely bad news for this local authority, with many of our income sources continuing to be under pressure.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0723/1224320625507.html

Only 49.9% of Households at the end of April in Fingal paid the Household charge. Unless FCC can improve on that figure the above cuts remain.

We have debated FCC spending in other threads but lets say they go ahead with the Rush Dream of burying electric cables and telephone lines on Rush Main St. How much would you say it would cost?

The Question was asked earlier this year by Ken Farrell

Minutes of Meeting of County Council held on 12/01/2012
    While it is acknowledged that the undergrounding of services is a major enhancement in areas where it has been carried out, the Council’s experience in this area is that while the bulk of the costs have been met by this Council, the principal benefactors are the utility providers.

The most recent request from the Rush Community Council related to the undergrounding of services from the Community Centre on the west, along Upper Main Street as far as the junction with the Skerries Road on the east, which is 600m in length.While no detailed assessment has been carried out on the cost of these works, based on previous undergrounding of services projects, we estimate it to be in the region of €0.5m. However, this cost could rise substantially given our recent experience in dealing with the utilities providers at other locations in the County. The level of disruption to local businesses and citizens caused by works related to the undergrounding of services should not be underestimated.

The LEADER Project Development Officer has indicated that the undergrounding of services is unlikely to be funded under the LEADER Rural Development Programme. The following however, could be considered for part-funding by LEADER as part of a Village Improvement Scheme:

The Council is willing to work with community groups in Rush in an effort to progress projects which could be funded under the LEADER Rural Development programme.

So factor in say 25% project over run, so 625k for burying cables, then the disruption to local businesses. I much rather see that 500k spent supporting local clubs, road sweeping services, cleaning flood drains, social housing. Spending that money on burying cables in the present economic climate is like decorating your front room while not prioritising the big hole in your roof or the faulty heating. Its a folly.

Ok going to try putting this one to rest, at times I think the people of Rush come from the Greek School of Economics.:D.

Greek school of economics or not it would make the place more pleasing on the eye along with the good work being done by Rush tidy towns

Only 49.9% of Households at the end of April in Fingal paid the Household charge. Unless FCC can improve on that figure the above cuts remain.

We have debated FCC spending in other threads but lets say they go ahead with the Rush Dream of burying electric cables and telephone lines on Rush Main St. How much would you say it would cost? .

I would say less than that % are pleased with Fingal C.C and this has played a huge part in the cynacism towards them by people. If people saw jobs being done maybe they would stump up. I DO TAKE YOUR POINT THOUGH..

The Question was asked earlier this year by Ken Farrell

Minutes of Meeting of County Council held on 12/01/2012

So factor in say 25% project over run, so 625k for burying cables, then the disruption to local businesses. I much rather see that 500k spent supporting local clubs, road sweeping services, cleaning flood drains, social housing. Spending that money on burying cables in the present economic climate is like decorating your front room while not prioritising the big hole in your roof or the faulty heating. Its a folly.

There will be some serious levies if this development goes ahead which could fund quite a bit of the work and also compliment the appearance of the street and enhance footfall on the street which I think traders would welcome.

Greek school of economics or not it would make the place more pleasing on the eye along with the good work being done by Rush tidy towns

I would say less than that % are pleased with Fingal C.C and this has played a huge part in the cynacism towards them by people. If people saw jobs being done maybe they would stump up. I DO TAKE YOUR POINT THOUGH..

There will be some serious levies if this development goes ahead which could fund quite a bit of the work and also compliment the appearance of the street and enhance footfall on the street which I think traders would welcome.

We all want to see funds spent on local housing road sweeping, local clubs and drain cleaning but that does not mean we neglect everything else. With the extra staff Fingal have from bin lorries I see some of them in the roads dept could they not be used to make cuts in ditchs and clear some of the drains? I dont see why not.

I agree that this development should increase footfall because at last the Main St should have a decent Car Park. But lets spend the levies on essential works around the town and on
    • Derelict site enhancement
    • Signage
    • Feature lighting
    • Planting schemes
    • Seating and other street furniture
    • Name stones
    • Looped walkways
    • Upgrade of town park(Kenure Woods)

Some of that work such as planting schemes and site enhancement can be done in conjunction with the Tidy Towns aided by volunteers.
    We all want to see funds spent on local housing road sweeping, local clubs and drain cleaning but that does not mean we neglect everything else. With the extra staff Fingal have from bin lorries I see some of them in the roads dept could they not be used to make cuts in ditchs and clear some of the drains? I dont see why not.

Good Idea

I agree that this development should increase footfall because at last the Main St should have a decent Car Park. But lets spend the levies on essential works around the town and on
    • Derelict site enhancement
    • Signage
    • Feature lighting
    • Planting schemes
    • Seating and other street furniture
    • Name stones
    • Looped walkways
    • Upgrade of town park(Kenure Woods)
    Some of that work such as planting schemes and site enhancement can be done in conjunction with the Tidy Towns aided by volunteers.

Feature lighting? Are you talking about building? McNamaras solicitors looks great except for all the cables hanging from the pole outside it. We dont have many building suitable for spot lights but nice street lamps like the ones in Lusk would be a nice addition to Main street.
    I am sure the tidy towns have a long term plan but we also need more residents assocations to get up and running. I think it would be easier to get people assisting this way rather than Tidy Towns being left to try and get everything done. Seafield court residents have done a great job by setting up a res assoc and 3 or 4 Saturdays later the place looks great.
    I am sure there are by-laws to ensure owners of properties maintain their premises. Maybe Fingal will start enforcing them

Good Idea

I was in Holland recently and saw this lad on a Kubata, (small tractor) with a little trailor and his job was to ensure all the little cuttings into ditchs were clear and road sign were vizable as you approached. No heavy machinery, just a spade, a tool like a hoe and a strimmer.

The signage is in a poor state ok. Balbriggan got these new signs about 3 years ago and while they are a little small they are very noticable. I think a few signs pointing to Sandy hills, Old Rd or any area would be nice and these could easily be done locally without any big fuss but of course would have to be a standard size.

Feature lighting? Are you talking about building? McNamaras solicitors looks great except for all the cables hanging from the pole outside it. We dont have many building suitable for spot lights but nice street lamps like the ones in Lusk would be a nice addition to Main street.

If only they didn't bring electricity to Rush:D

I think feature lighting in the form of this
    cool-landscape-lighting-1.jpg

could make the townpark a place you can walk through at night without fear of drunks. As said in the Kenure Woods thread if you can increase foot traffic through the park vandalism should reduce in turn. Make it a place that people use rather than a place that gets you from A to B. The Mill on the MillBank would be another area for maybe the seasonal use of feature lighting. A recent request to FCC for seating in the park was turned down because of the high level of vandalism present. I don't blame them, anytime I walked through the park, the place is covered in beer bottles and cans, with spray painting everywhere. Quite a few Tesco branded beers........

The old style lamp posts could be phased in slowly over the next 10 years in the Main St. The cash ain't there even with the European funds in the LEADER scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@LeoB - Please take more care when using the "QUOTE" tags. I've fixed a couple of your posts in this thread, but if you use the Preview function to ensure your quotes are OK you could fix any issues before you click the Submit button.

Thanks,

tHB

@LeoB - Please take more care when using the "QUOTE" tags. I've fixed a couple of your posts in this thread, but if you use the Preview function to ensure your quotes are OK you could fix any issues before you click the Submit button.

Thanks,

tHB

Been iv at wine cabinet, sssorry;).
    If only they didn't bring electricity to Rush:D

I think feature lighting in the form of this
    cool-landscape-lighting-1.jpg

could make the townpark a place you can walk through at night without fear of drunks. As said in the Kenure Woods thread if you can increase foot traffic through the park vandalism should reduce in turn. Make it a place that people use rather than a place that gets you from A to B. The Mill on the MillBank would be another area for maybe the seasonal use of feature lighting. A recent request to FCC for seating in the park was turned down because of the high level of vandalism present. I don't blame them, anytime I walked through the park, the place is covered in beer bottles and cans, with spray painting everywhere. Quite a few Tesco branded beers........

The old style lamp posts could be phased in slowly over the next 10 years in the Main St. The cash ain't there even with the European funds in the LEADER scheme.

That lighting looks great ok.

As you say phased in over 10 years would be grand. People would see work being done and perhaps a development plan or upgrade plan of works agreed with C.C would be good idea.

You raise another issue which is depressing to hear and that is the level opf vandalism. I never realised it was like this or as bad, I just have not seen it,(valdalism that is). Might be time for another thread

Any one know the status of this.

• Advertisement

Any one know the status of this.

The current situation from what I gather is Planning was approved late last year but there have been 2 objections. There was a book in Bird of Paradise shop supporting the demolition and development of the sites you are talking about. Approx 500 people signed it. I made a submission to An Bord pleannala supporting the development as I feel it will brighten up that part of the town which is an eye sore and the plans on display look good to me.

Hi Leob

Thanks for that, any idea how long we have to wait to know for definite if the town gets the go ahead for it.

Depressing looking at those derelict buildings. Hopefully if it gets the signed off some one will by the AIB building and develop it.

Hi Leob

Thanks for that, any idea how long we have to wait to know for definite if the town gets the go ahead for it.

Depressing looking at those derelict buildings. Hopefully if it gets the signed off some one will by the AIB building and develop it.

Don't know how long we have to wait. I got a reply from An Bord Pleannala and they will be in touch later with their decision. Will post up what ever I get.

Rumor I heard was An Post had looked at this building but I will have to make further inquires. I would say however the new owner developer of the proposed town center would want the Post office in it to help get people into that space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

I have family in Rush and am wondering about the redevelopment of the town, the whole main street is a bit of an eye-sore, with <snip> council officials redirecting money meant for Rush to Swords and Malahide, and taking the chain link fence from the park in Rush and putting it in Skerries.

The town could do with a much-needed face lift. Anyone any ideas when (or if) those derelict buildings will be torn down? When will they be torn down and when will construction start?

http://www.dublinpeople.com/article.php?id=1462

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Here's a link to the File with An Bord Planeala

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/241708.htm

and the File with FCC.

http://planning.fingalcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayURL?theApnID=F12A/0225

It's for decision by, 15/7/2013

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

@ Chemical Burn - please refrain from accusing people of being corrupt in your posts, whatever your personal view might be

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

So the two objectors have appealed on:

Objector 1
    Planning
    There is an oversupply of retail property in Rush. The additional space can only have negative effect on existing businesses, resulting in closures and deterioration of the Main Street.

Can it get any worse on the Main Street? Valid point but 120 odd free parking spaces just off the town and the removal of the eyesore of falling down houses would attract shoppers back.
    Traffic
    The planning documents do not clarify whether a right hand turning lane will be provided for traffic entering the site. If the proposal does not contain a right turn hand turning lane then traffic chaos will ensue.

However, to provide a turning lane in this location would result in either the path on the north side of Upper Main Street being reduced to an unacceptable width or the provision of substandard lanes.
    Neither of these solutions are acceptable, especially at a section of Upper Main Street that is already extremely busy and congested.

Well with actual decent off street parking unlike the other significant retail development on the Main Street, traffic congestion will be reduced with the removal of some of the on street parking at the bottle neck.
    Foul Sewer
    The decision by FCC to allow access to the public sewer(via a treatment plant) is in conflict with the Council's ban on other developments and houses getting similar access.

Always exceptions especially when they provide jobs.
    Parking
    The proposed onsite parking has been reduced to a minimum, despite a significant number of on street parking on Upper Main Street, being eliminated due to the proposed development. This can only have a negative effect on the existing joining businesses.

Ok, so how many parking spaces will the town lose between the Post Office and Bollum Lane while gaining 120 odd new spaces?

Objector 2
    Everything including possible impact on EU Habitat(Rogerstown):eek:.
    http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/NorthgatePublicDocs/00442063.pdf

I wonder if the objectors own retail property meets the same standards that the very professional report outlines that Aldi should meet?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭SmallBalls

Objector 2

A more greedy man you'd never meet.

So the two objectors have appealed on:

Objector 1

Can it get any worse on the Main Street? Valid point but 120 odd free parking spaces just off the town and the removal of the eyesore of falling down houses would attract shoppers back.

Well with actual decent off street parking unlike the other significant retail development on the Main Street, traffic congestion will be reduced with the removal of some of the on street parking at the bottle neck.

Always exceptions especially when they provide jobs.

Ok, so how many parking spaces will the town lose between the Post Office and Bollum Lane while gaining 120 odd new spaces?

1, Loading spot and 5 parking spots is all that will be lost. The street is an eyesore as it is and this development if it goes ahead will be good for the town.

Could be a fair point re parking spaces and the access to them. But I think a slight re alignment to the street will solve this.

I wonder if the objectors own retail property meets the same standards that the very professional report outlines that Aldi should meet?

I would say it does. Its a fairly new unit he owns and considering the type of business he does I think it would be up to scratch.
    SmallBalls wrote: »
    A more greedy man you'd never meet.

Have to say I have many dealings with both objectors and have always found them sound. I had a small business deal with one of them and could not have been better to deal with. Both have contributed quite a bit to various clubs and charities locally.
    They are both entitled to object and they both from what I hear have reasons to object which might not necessarily be in the documents submitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Personal remarks against boards/non-boards users are unacceptable in this forum.

tHB

Advertisement