Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Council Advice!

• 17-07-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. For my first degree (IT), I studied French but there was a shortfall (30% French literature study), as a result I completed the evening diploma (in French) and for the past two years I took the required modules for literature. I sent in my transcript about two weeks ago and I checked my details in the registered teacher area on the teaching councils website. It still states that I'm not registered to teach French just my other subject which is ICT which generally isn't a subject in which I would get a position in a secondary school. I taught French for the last academic year and was under the impression that I would be registered on completion of my modules! The only thing I can think off is I don't have the required 3 months requirement. Has anyone been through a similar situation and if you did - what did you do? Without being registered for the subject I won't get an interview for a vacancy! Any advice?? I only checked this evening so I will be contacting the Teaching Council in the morning!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Have you received your documentation back from them yet? They may not have processed your application for French yet, TC are not know for their efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Have you received your documentation back from them yet? They may not have processed your application for French yet, TC are not know for their efficiency.

Not yet. But it does say completion date 25th May 2012 at the bottom of the screen where it states 'Recognition Shortfalls and/or Compensation Measure'. I'm really nervous about what I will do if I don't get registered as I've worked so hard for this! And I also have 7 years third level French which is something a lot of people wouldn't have! I was also told three years ago and at the teaching council stand (when I did my PGDE) that the 3 month requirement wasn’t really that important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

I'd imagine it's still processing. It's only been two weeks and I'd say they're busy at this time or year trying to get all the NQT's registered. It took about 7 weeks when I got my third subject registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris68

OP, you mentioned that you sent in your transcript but did you complete the forms and pay them the €200 to check your qualifications? I did this recently, different subject, and got a receipt which warned of a 12 week wait in assessing qualifications.

I'd imagine it's still processing. It's only been two weeks and I'd say they're busy at this time or year trying to get all the NQT's registered. It took about 7 weeks when I got my third subject registered.

You're probably correct - I just wondered because I sent in the completion of probation form and they had updated that! I havn't received anything in the post yet so I'm taking that as a good sign! Just wondering do I have to do the nqt induction? I had the hours finished in may but I held onto the form to send it with my transcript.

• Advertisement

Probation is probably done by a seperate section/person. Easy enough thing to verify really. I'd say accredidation is thrown in with all the NQT's as it's essentially the same. I wouldn't think you have to do the induction programme. I know a lot of people who started out last year who haven't/don't intend on doing it, but I can't be positive.

Hi all,

I'm after contacting the Teaching Council regarding adding French to my list of subjects. And guess what? - Someone from the qualifications department rang me and said that she didn't know what I did and the modules I took were not on her 'list of recognised degrees' and that I would have to get my qualifications assessed for €200 and that it would take 10-12 weeks before that would come back. She also said that I should have assessed my qualifications prior to starting the modules - I said that the university said it was assessed so I continued thinking there would be no problem - until now!

I also said that I would find it difficult to find work as a result of French not being on my list and she said that it was up to the prinicipal to decide if I was good enough or not - I asked to send out a letter stating that - but she declined saying that the Teaching Council didn't deal in employment issues.

Now the problem I have is I still don't have the required 3 month residency period which will stop me from getting registered. I would have loved to have gone to France but how could I afford it - I've been in college for the last 10 years and with the last three I've done the diploma in arts, the PGDE and two other years of French literature.

What will I do? As anyone any advice? Would the union be able to help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Hi all,

I'm after contacting the Teaching Council regarding adding French to my list of subjects. And guess what? - Someone from the qualifications department rang me and said that she didn't know what I did and the modules I took were not on her 'list of recognised degrees' and that I would have to get my qualifications assessed for €200 and that it would take 10-12 weeks before that would come back. She also said that I should have assessed my qualifications prior to starting the modules - I said that the university said it was assessed so I continued thinking there would be no problem - until now!

I also said that I would find it difficult to find work as a result of French not being on my list and she said that it was up to the prinicipal to decide if I was good enough or not - I asked to send out a letter stating that - but she declined saying that the Teaching Council didn't deal in employment issues.

Now the problem I have is I still don't have the required 3 month residency period which will stop me from getting registered. I would have loved to have gone to France but how could I afford it - I've been in college for the last 10 years and with the last three I've done the diploma in arts, the PGDE and two other years of French literature.

What will I do? As anyone any advice? Would the union be able to help?

Oh my god. That's awful! The 3 months in France is the least of your worries. I did it as a summer job in college but never had to prove it and am only registered with the TC in the last few years. I remember some of my class flying to Paris in June, flying home again and doing the same in early September. They kept the flight ticket stubs as 'proof' of them leaving for France in June and returning in Sept.
    I suppose you could try the union but I am not sure if it will help. I rang about doing a Grad Dip in another subject (not to make up a shortfall) and was told that grad dips in languages weren't recognised so you may have to do the extra assessment part.
    If you are living anywhere near Maynooth I have always found the TC miles more helpful when I called into the office as opposed to phoning.

Bonne courage!

vamos! wrote: »
    Oh my god. That's awful! The 3 months in France is the least of your worries. I did it as a summer job in college but never had to prove it and am only registered with the TC in the last few years. I remember some of my class flying to Paris in June, flying home again and doing the same in early September. They kept the flight ticket stubs as 'proof' of them leaving for France in June and returning in Sept.
    I suppose you could try the union but I am not sure if it will help. I rang about doing a Grad Dip in another subject (not to make up a shortfall) and was told that grad dips in languages weren't recognised so you may have to do the extra assessment part.
    If you are living anywhere near Maynooth I have always found the TC miles more helpful when I called into the office as opposed to phoning.

Bonne courage!

Thanks vamos! I'm in Galway. I don't think it would be good for me to go to Maynooth because I could be on the news for what I could do! I have worked so hard for this! I really that it was all finished! I might give the union a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

You will totally need a new user name if you end up on the 9 o clock news! :D

• Advertisement

Chris68 wrote: »
    OP, you mentioned that you sent in your transcript but did you complete the forms and pay them the €200 to check your qualifications? I did this recently, different subject, and got a receipt which warned of a 12 week wait in assessing qualifications.

Hi Chris68, as you can see now I'm in the same boat? Did you get your assessment back yet? I really can't see why the Teaching Council can't read!! I have that form filled in - did you send your parchments? Seems a bit silly to send them if you're already sending in your transcripts for every year of study!?

If you didn't pay the 200e it's different to qualifications assessment. That's what I did with my third subject and I was registered with it after 7 weeks.

If you didn't pay the 200e it's different to qualifications assessment. That's what I did with my third subject and I was registered with it after 7 weeks.

That's what they sent me - getting the information ready!! The Teaching Council are only out for your money - they're daylight robbers!! And they still don't listen - no matter how many times I said something was 'you have to get your qualifications assessed'. I really hate them - but then all teachers in Ireland do! I remember one day we had a talk from them during the PGDE and the man started off with this statement: 'When I go to a wedding and people ask me what I do - I never say I work in the Teaching Council in case there is a teacher at the table.' I wonder why???

That's what they sent me - getting the information ready!! The Teaching Council are only out for your money - they're daylight robbers!! And they still don't listen - no matter how many times I said something was 'you have to get your qualifications assessed'. I really hate them - but then all teachers in Ireland do! I remember one day we had a talk from them during the PGDE and the man started off with this statement: 'When I go to a wedding and people ask me what I do - I never say I work in the Teaching Council in case there is a teacher at the table.' I wonder why???

Hmmm, I'm not sure but I sent off the 200e with my application initially and didn't have any problems. Absolutely agree about them just being after the money. I'd imagine once you pay them you should be fine. ahaha...yeah, we also got a talk off them in UCC and the man opened with; 'New entrants always ask what we do for them and what they are getting for their 90e. We do not do anything for you. We merely defend professional standards'. Bloody farce.

Hi Chris68, as you can see now I'm in the same boat? Did you get your assessment back yet? I really can't see why the Teaching Council can't read!! I have that form filled in - did you send your parchments? Seems a bit silly to send them if you're already sending in your transcripts for every year of study!?

Sent in everything they asked for. They even phoned and asked for more stuff, so sent that too. Haven't heard yet but its only been 7/8 weeks. I'm looking to add on an extra subject (Accounting). I previously had my degree assessed for my original subjects (maths and IT). Cost me €300 that time and took 8 months. That at least was successful. Then paid them €150 to assess my HDip, also successful, 3 months wait. Then paid another €300 to assess my professional qualification (Fellowship). That took another 8 months and was unsuccessful. This current qualification (Professional Certificate) is to boost the Fellowship and is costing a further €200. I've no confidence at all that it will succeed this time but you never know.

All in so far: €950, 21 months ... and counting.

Sent in everything they asked for. They even phoned and asked for more stuff, so sent that too. Haven't heard yet but its only been 7/8 weeks. I'm looking to add on an extra subject (Accounting). I previously had my degree assessed for my original subjects (maths and IT). Cost me €300 that time and took 8 months. That at least was successful. Then paid them €150 to assess my HDip, also successful, 3 months wait. Then paid another €300 to assess my professional qualification (Fellowship). That took another 8 months and was unsuccessful. This current qualification (Professional Certificate) is to boost the Fellowship and is costing a further €200. I've no confidence at all that it will succeed this time but you never know.

I don't think there is anything else they need from me (but I'm sure they'll find something!). I'm already qualified to teach IT so I wanted to add French as you really need an examinable subject. I can't believe that they have charged you all that! See the other thread I found 'Teaching Council: €200 fee to assess a UCD course' - looks like there are lots of it being treated badly by the TC! I'm just wondering if the staff at the TC have to jump through all the hoops we have to to satifsy them? It looks like they will get their way. I listened to an interview with Aine Lawlor (ex TC director) and she said that the TC didn't want to stop people entering the teaching profession but they're making a good job of it. Its hard enough to find work let alone to meet all their requirements and more importantly all the money it costs!

Hi again!!

Still looking for advice! Right here is the situation now:

I received the information back from the TC a few weeks ago and the 3 month residency requirement was the only thing that was stopping them from registering me! I was talking to one of the reps and I told them that I was unable to travel as a result of a condition I was diagnosed with in 2004. She said to write a letter stating this. I told her that I could medical certification/evidence to back up the letter but she said that I wouldn't need to go that far. So I sent in the letter and she told me that had spoken to her supervisor and (s)he told her to put my case to a panel meeting which would be happening on Monday last. I was also told that my case would be better if I had the medical evidence. I got the medical evidence but only in soft copy as it was not done until Friday morning and I would not be able to get it to the TC prior to the meeting on Monday. The secretary kindly scanned the letter for me and sent in an email - which I emailed to the TC.

Monday came and went and I didn't hear anything. I sent an email but got no response! I sent another yesterday and tried to get in contact with the person who had been dealing with my case. She eventually emailed me stating that the panel needed more information i.e. a letter stating my condition with backup medical evidence. I can't understand this as I have already sent in this except a hard copy of the medical letter which I only recieved yesterday! I was also told that my case would be going forward for the panel meeting in November! I was too angry to reply to this email so I have not emailed her back yet!

Has anybody any advice? Are the TC breaking the Disability Act 2005? This is seriously affecting my employability as I have already had 7 interviews and have been unsuccessful in all!!

Successful!!! (22 months later.) Yipee!

Successful!!! (22 months later.) Yipee!

Congrats Chris68!! You def deserve it! As you can see I'm still battling with them! I might be a bit better off than you were - as I'm only in month 3!! It must be a great feeling! I think if I get this sorted it'll be like graduating again! I'll have to frame my TC registration!!

Hi again!!

Still looking for advice! Right here is the situation now:

I received the information back from the TC a few weeks ago and the 3 month residency requirement was the only thing that was stopping them from registering me! I was talking to one of the reps and I told them that I was unable to travel as a result of a condition I was diagnosed with in 2004. She said to write a letter stating this. I told her that I could medical certification/evidence to back up the letter but she said that I wouldn't need to go that far. So I sent in the letter and she told me that had spoken to her supervisor and (s)he told her to put my case to a panel meeting which would be happening on Monday last. I was also told that my case would be better if I had the medical evidence. I got the medical evidence but only in soft copy as it was not done until Friday morning and I would not be able to get it to the TC prior to the meeting on Monday. The secretary kindly scanned the letter for me and sent in an email - which I emailed to the TC.

Monday came and went and I didn't hear anything. I sent an email but got no response! I sent another yesterday and tried to get in contact with the person who had been dealing with my case. She eventually emailed me stating that the panel needed more information i.e. a letter stating my condition with backup medical evidence. I can't understand this as I have already sent in this except a hard copy of the medical letter which I only recieved yesterday! I was also told that my case would be going forward for the panel meeting in November! I was too angry to reply to this email so I have not emailed her back yet!

Has anybody any advice? Are the TC breaking the Disability Act 2005? This is seriously affecting my employability as I have already had 7 interviews and have been unsuccessful in all!!

They're not discriminating against you, you haven't met their qualification requirements, two very different things.

• Advertisement

They're not discriminating against you, you haven't met their qualification requirements, two very different things.

Thanks rainbowtrout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

rainbowtrout is correct, they have not discriminated against you, they have set standards that you have not met, they are looking into waving some of the standards for you provided you can provide the proof (if I read your posts correctly). You were unable to supply everything in time as you only received it yesterday? So now you can provide everything? So where is the problem.

They asked for X, you had not received it so could not provide it, they have given you extra time to provide it when you have it. They are looking at the possibility of you not having to do the residency due to the medical condidtion provided you have the proof which you do, you just have to send it to them. Where is the problem. Normally I am first to give out about them but I cant see how they have done anything wrong here, unless I have completely taken your posts up the wrong way (which is always possibly with me:P)

seavill wrote: »
    rainbowtrout is correct, they have not discriminated against you, they have set standards that you have not met, they are looking into waving some of the standards for you provided you can provide the proof (if I read your posts correctly). You were unable to supply everything in time as you only received it yesterday? So now you can provide everything? So where is the problem.

They asked for X, you had not received it so could not provide it, they have given you extra time to provide it when you have it. They are looking at the possibility of you not having to do the residency due to the medical condidtion provided you have the proof which you do, you just have to send it to them. Where is the problem. Normally I am first to give out about them but I cant see how they have done anything wrong here, unless I have completely taken your posts up the wrong way (which is always possibly with me:P)

The only thing I have a problem with them is that everytime I spoke to them and did what they said they changed their minds again. This process has been going on for a month and I have done everything they ask but its not enough and I have been unsuccessul in seven interviews (maybe I wasn't the best candidate but the TC reg is def a problem because I received good feedback during interviews). I did email the letter on Friday and I'm sure they could have printed it off and put it with my application. I did say that I would forward it when I received it. The main problem is I have to wait another month to be fully registered which will prevent me from getting a job. I have worked so hard for my qualifications and they don't seem to see that! When I was diagnosed the doctor told me that I would never be able to amount to anything - that college was the best place for me, I'd never hold down a job, my parents would have to look after me and I would never drive a car. I now have everything under control and have yet met another brick wall. I have almost double the credits the Teaching Council require to teach the subject, I have completed the methodology and have two years experience teaching French. They overlook all of this. And I also have some friends that were not asked to provide the residency proof and was also told prior to my extra studies that this requirement wasn't important. Its hard enough to get a job but when you have to deal with the TC it makes the process a whole lot harder.

The tc make everyone's life a lot harder it is nothing to do with you it is nothing to do with discrimination.
    Take the person above who is 22 months having fun with them. You are one month in. Bit of a difference. I don't mean to sound harsh or anything but you have taken it extremely personally and calling it discrimination when it clearly is not does not help. As said people have waited a lot longer than you. Read the numerous threads here about the tc.

Schools generally these days do not take people on who are not registered so yes it is probably hampering your employment chances so far but in reality you should be aware of this. Again not discrimination schools just can't take the risk of the reg not actually coming through and having to search for a new teacher again mid year.
    You may have to wait another month but it seems maybe they meet once a month. Again nothing personal that is how they do it. Everyone has a story so they prob wont change that plan every time someone wants them to no matter how frustrating it seems.

As I said the tc are a pain in the arse for everyone people spend months arguing with them it seems common ( not saying it is right) stick with it give them exactly what they want and have patience.

The tc make everyone's life a lot harder it is nothing to do with you it is nothing to do with discrimination.
    Take the person above who is 22 months having fun with them. You are one month in. Bit of a difference. I don't mean to sound harsh or anything but you have taken it extremely personally and calling it discrimination when it clearly is not does not help. As said people have waited a lot longer than you. Read the numerous threads here about the tc.

Schools generally these days do not take people on who are not registered so yes it is probably hampering your employment chances so far but in reality you should be aware of this. Again not discrimination schools just can't take the risk of the reg not actually coming through and having to search for a new teacher again mid year.
    You may have to wait another month but it seems maybe they meet once a month. Again nothing personal that is how they do it. Everyone has a story so they prob wont change that plan every time someone wants them to no matter how frustrating it seems.

As I said the tc are a pain in the arse for everyone people spend months arguing with them it seems common ( not saying it is right) stick with it give them exactly what they want and have patience.

I know seavill but its very hard when you're sitting around the house and wanting to be in a classroom.

I know seavill but its very hard when you're sitting around the house and wanting to be in a classroom.

yes, but you're not the only one trying to register with the teaching council and when you don't have all the requirements you can't just expect them to drop everything when you send them an email and give you top priority. They are dealing with loads of other teachers in a similar situation. Even teachers who have met all the requirements and have made a straightforward application can take a while to get their registration.

In one of your previous posts you said 'I emailed them on Friday, why couldn't they just print off my email and put it with the rest of my application?' Do you think your email was the only one that came in on Friday???? Have a bit of patience.

Oh I appreciate that. I suppose in a roundabout way I was just saying you are not alone with the troubles with the tc so don't feel isolated

Oh I appreciate that. I suppose in a roundabout way I was just saying you are not alone with the troubles with the tc so don't feel isolated

I def know I'm not the only one! I don't think there is any teacher that hasn't had a bad experience with them. It's just my nervousness - I've done everything they have asked me and keep changing their minds. I'm worried because they are going to ask me to do something again in November and delay my registration for another month and leave me unemployed coming up to Christmas. When I sent the email on Friday the person I sent it to said that it was ok but then on Tuesday said that they wanted the medical proof that's why I wondered why she couldn't have printed it off and put it in my application and say that the original was in the post - I'm not a liar but I feel they don't trust anything I send them and that I can't represent myself at the meeting to show how much teaching means to me. I'm really passionate about teaching and I can't see myself doing anything else and that's why I'm very uptight about this! I do realise that I'm not the only person who is trying to apply! And the rejection letters from the interviews isn't making the situation any better.

Advertisement