Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ballybough (Student)...Whats it like?

Options
  • 17-07-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I'm moving to Ballybough in September and I am just wondering if anybody knows anything about the area and what kind of reputation does it have?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

has a rough rep but its grand. there aew far worse areas in dublin,south and north

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Its not great tbh..its run-down and parts of it dont feel very safe. The plus side is that its very close to town..thats about it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Reputation is not good at all

I walked home through it every night for years coming from work, never a bother

Of course something could happen on your first night there

It's a bit of a maze of laneways and small streets, many of them pitch black

It's likely you'll be outside the Croke Park cordon but it's possible you'll be just inside it, I can't say without knowing the street

There are no buses but you can get them on North Strand

There are nicer areas nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭PaurGasm

Im in Bayview Avenue to be precise...

I was away when the house was organised so my mates did most of the work...

It cant be THAT bad can it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

mikemac1 wrote: »

There are no buses but you can get them on North Strand

There's the 123, best bus route in Dublin! ;)

• Advertisement

Also my main route to college will be walking to the end of Bayview Ave and getting the bus from North Strand Road...

Im guessing the avenue itself will be quiet enough!...well hopefully!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

PaurGasm wrote: »
    Also my main route to college will be walking to the end of Bayview Ave and getting the bus from North Strand Road...

Im guessing the avenue itself will be quiet enough!...well hopefully!!!

A decent lock on the door and not pissing off the neighbours should have you fine tbh.

You are outside the Croke Park cordon OP

Not a issue realy but it matters if you had a car to park

Bayview is grand, the other side of Ballybough Road it can be dark and a bit too quiet, boarded up houses and flats everywhere. Most of Croke Park Villas is empty, not sure what DCC are doing there. Shortcuts and alleyways everywhere but you'd almost need a torch!
    There's the 123, best bus route in Dublin! ;)

Hah, I forget the famous 123 :D

good stuff...Looking forward to moving in! Especially for All Ireland weekend so Donegal can take Sam back to the hills :P

But seriously, looking forward to movin to the big smoke...Itll take me a week or 2 to get used to it and get to know the local shop staff and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

Just don't move there. There are worse places in Dublin, but not very many.

• Advertisement

Did you look at Fairview, Marino, Killester or Artane?

Excellent bus services plus you have the Dart

All better areas and lots more shops and facilities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Bayview Avenue is a lovely road. I've delivered leaflets all round Ballybough many many times and in all the flats and never had any trouble. Just have your wits about you. A girl was mugged on the road just around the corner from you a few months ago but I haven't heard of any other incidents apart from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Bayview Avenue is pretty gentrified tbh - it's known to some as Gayview Avenue on the back of a few typically tasteful confirmed bachelor residents on the street. It's a bit of a middle-class enclave.

Ballybough is generally worse looking than it actually is. You're near Da Mimmo on North Strand - which is a good thing. Cusacks pub is good. But yep - the shop/supermarket situation could be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

alastair wrote: »
    Bayview Avenue is pretty gentrified tbh - it's known to some as Gayview Avenue on the back of a few typically tasteful confirmed bachelor residents on the street. It's a bit of a middle-class enclave.

Ballybough is generally worse looking than it actually is. You're near Da Mimmo on North Strand - which is a good thing. Cusacks pub is good. But yep - the shop/supermarket situation could be better.

It's not too bad; 15 minute walk would have you into Parnell St and Aldi/Lidl/Dunnes/Tesco. Go the other way and you've a cracking Centra and a Tesco Express in Fairview.

Tesco Express in Drumcondra

Just go up Richmond Rd, not even a 5 minute cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tesco Express in Drumcondra

Just go up Richmond Rd, not even a 5 minute cycle

Fairview one would be closer to Bayview Avenue. Even then the Centra there is closer and a serious place for deals.

Ah, I forgot about Tesco Fairview, been a few years since I moved out of the area, wasn't open back then

And OP, Brams of Marino Mart, finest breakfast in all of Dublin :)

If you want a bike go to Little Sport, great shop, they'll see you right. Avoid the place on the Malahide Rd corner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lots of supermarkets a bus ride away and many of them deliver, if you've a big shop to do.
    Bayview is a nice street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Avoid the place on the Malahide Rd corner

+1.. Avoid!.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Ryan451

A Lidl (or is it an Aldi) is being built on the East Wall Road as well, at the junction with Church Road, less than a 10 minute walk!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Had a pizza from Da Mimmo for the first time tonight.....I hope you play sport or have excellent willpower OP, otherwise you're gonna get fat!
    Just glad I don't live round there anymore :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

You are outside the Croke Park cordon OP

Not a issue realy but it matters if you had a car to park

Bayview is grand, the other side of Ballybough Road it can be dark and a bit too quiet, boarded up houses and flats everywhere. Most of Croke Park Villas is empty, not sure what DCC are doing there. Shortcuts and alleyways everywhere but you'd almost need a torch!

Hah, I forget the famous 123 :D

GAA have plans to knock Croke Park Villas and build a grand entrance to the stadium, doesn't look like there will be much progress on that for the time being though.

http://www.herald.ie/news/gaa-plans-grand-new-entrance-to-croke-park-3010877.html

Had a pizza from Da Mimmo for the first time tonight.....I hope you play sport or have excellent willpower OP, otherwise you're gonna get fat!
    Just glad I don't live round there anymore :-)

I do play sport and I will be joining the college gym...But the takeaways are closer than the gym...

I may just be getting very fat very soon haha

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

get to know the local shop staff

I can see you're new to the whole city idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Ballybough is grand, I have never been in any bother in any part of it and I've been through and around it more than most.

Nothing to worry about and even if there was it's a bit late to worry now ;)

I may just be getting very fat very soon haha

Stay out of Fairview park after dark!

However, all you have to do is get to the bridge, go down East Wall and get on Alfie Byrne Rd
    You have a cycle lane pretty much the whole way to Sutton :)

And the promenade to jog on

Would keep ya fit :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sandra0701

Today I have called the agency because of add on daft...Agent said, go first to this area and have a look and if you still interested in, call back...Just wondering what could be that wrong in this area, why she said something like that????

sandra0701 wrote: »
    Today I have called the agency because of add on daft...Agent said, go first to this area and have a look and if you still interested in, call back...Just wondering what could be that wrong in this area, why she said something like that????

Where is the house?

Turns out my friend live in Ballybough 2 years ago and said the only problem he had was that his car got broken into at night...but he did leave a 10er lyin in the front seat in full view haha

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sandra0701

Where is the house?

Turns out my friend live in Ballybough 2 years ago and said the only problem he had was that his car got broken into at night...but he did leave a 10er lyin in the front seat in full view haha

It is in Bayview Ave, but I don't know what number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 feebie

Hi, Just bumping this thread to see if I can get some current info on the area. We are looking at a house on Bayview Avenue. Have 2 kids (8 & 12). Is this area safe to walk around, get into town etc., any decent schools in the area? Would you recommend it for a family with young kids? We have not lived in Dublin/Ireland for many years so would appreciate some first hand information on the area, Thanks!

Advertisement