Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlepalooza 2012... Worth it? Even at 50 euro?

Options
  • 17-07-2012 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Considering going to Castlepalooza at the beginning of next Month. Is it worth it though? Some may say this is a bit of a stupid question. Cmon like, 50 euro for 3 days of camping and music that includes some of the best upcoming Irish acts, is a steal. Yes the drink situation is very annoying and it does mean that it will still cost a few dollars despite the cheap ticket.... But overall definitely one of the cheaper festivals around.

However... Is it really any good? I've heard it's very chilled out with a nice small crowd. That would be the type of festival I'd definitely enjoy. Is it a bit too chilled out though? And is the crowd size perhaps too much on the small side? I could be totally wrong but that's the impression I'm getting! I like festivals that have a generally chilled out vibe, but I also like a wee bit of madness thrown in.

So yeah, honest opinions guys. Obviously 50 euro is very cheap, but it is still 50 euro which could be spent towards another festival :) So anyone with any genuine knowledge of the festival, could you fill me in exactly what it's like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

This thread will probably get locked as there is already a two page thread for this here. You might get better feedback on that one too.
    I was at it in 2008 and I fairly enjoyed it, there is a main stage, another outdoor stage and a marquee, actually its probably expanded a bit more since I was there. There is a nice chilled atmosphere and some of the music is OK too, their choice of DJs sometimes leaves a lot to be desired although I did enjoy Kormacs Big Band and RSAG when they played there. Some of the DJs for the later hours were a bit pish though, or maybe it was down to being on some great MDMA but I found the DJ would cut the volume of sound just as the roof was about to blow of the tent, which became pretty frustrating when you were up for a good rave. I wasnt impressed either with the Republic of Loose DJ set. There is some nice installations when I was there and there was supposed to be art exhibitions that weekend which did not materialise but it was a nice event and it better than doing what you would be normally doing in a weekend say, in Dublin or Galway or some place like that. Anyway the link I posted will shed some more light or you.

Edit: Saying that the line up looks quite interesting this year with Donal Dineens Parish, Solar Bears, Little Green Cars, Le Galaxie and Toby Kaar amongst others.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

I've been to every Castlepalooza so far and it's really grown every year. I'd guess that a lot of the crowd are repeat visitors bringing along more friends each year.

The size of the site is very compact so despite the small numbers it has a great atmosphere and feels full but not over crowded.

they added a new courtyard stage last year which was a brilliant addition. There's a new campsite this year too. I can't recommend it enough tbh. Worth every cent.

Advertisement