Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing Apple Magsafe Charger

Options
  • 17-07-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Not sure if this is more appropriate here or in an electronics forum?

Does anyone have any experience repairing the internal electronics of an Apple Magsafe Macbook Charger?
    I have repaired the cable and connector on one for a friend a few months ago and thought it was the same issue with mine. Unfortunately when I opened the powerbrick and tested it, there was no voltage across the +16.5V terminals on the board where the cable is attached.
    The charger is 4+ years old so is well out of warranty so I'm going to give repairing it a go before I splash out and buy a new one.
    I have (some) experience repairing electronics and would be confident fixing it myself but have no idea what the typical failure points on the charger is.
    If anyone could offer some help it would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,906 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldve brought it to a Mac store first; for a while they were replacing a lot of those magsafe chargers due to a recall and it may still be possible they would honor it. Have to say I normally only hear good experiences out of an Apple store.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 kevwotton

Overheal wrote: »
    I wouldve brought it to a Mac store first; for a while they were replacing a lot of those magsafe chargers due to a recall and it may still be possible they would honor it. Have to say I normally only hear good experiences out of an Apple store.
    The recall was due to the poor design of the old style mag connector as far as I know. I knew it wasn't that end before I opened the thing up. Also as far as I know that recall was only valid in the states and ended in May this year. Anyway, we don't have Apple stores here yet and dealing with some of the 3rd party authorised repair centers can be frustrating.

If I can't find a solution, I could close it back up and its likely to pass a quick inspection. I didn't damage the case when I opened it and when I plug it in, it doesn't work.
    Anyone know where I can get some clear/white super glue :P

Advertisement