Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC Broadband Cable Question

• 17-07-2012 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I recently ordered the 100mb broadband & phone package with UPC. However, I was told that my house had no cable wire at all - I live in a terraced house (Limerick city), and was told by tech support that the other houses have feeds running in, except mine for some peculiar reason.

As a result, I could not get the service - received a call today saying that even though I was previously told on a number of occasions that my estate could get the service, it now seems my house can't. I live in a gated estate and one side of the complex is cabled and ready to go, while the other is too (except my house, which is one of five). I am actually picking up a neighbor's wireless signal from UPC so I know the cable is there, and was told by tech support that due to the fact that my house was the only one without cable, they would simply install cable which was scheduled for tomorrow (this is now cancelled by UPC, along with my account).

I am wondering if this possible scenario could work? - my neighbor has a working cable wire, and could split the wire in order to run a feed into my house, in order to connect a modem. I think I would need a satellite splitter to prevent interference, but could this actually work?

Could anybody help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

If you need to pass other houses you would need their permission. Also running your own cable might have legal and safety problems.

UPC don't allow you generally to run any cable yourself. If it was possilble I would have thought they would have done it.
    If you could get all the houses affected to campaign as a group it might help. One house may have objected in the past.

It depends on the exact reason it was not possible before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Even if you ran the cable, you couldn't connect you're own modem, 2 MAC addresses can't connect to the same external IP simultaneously, unless the DCHP routing was done server side, which UPC dont do. The only way you could do it is to run an Ethernet cable from his modem and connect your own router, even then you would need to arse around isolating his network from yours, which takes some networking and router knowledge, and this would only give you Internet, not phone.

Advertisement