Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolting anti-Irish march in Liverpool

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Maybe they're the minority of Liverpudlians that are english and feel frustrated that it feels more like Ireland than england. Can't even shout for their national team!

Unlikely to be actually Liverpudlians but even if a few are, they wont be representing the massive majority of people from Liverpool or indeed England. These fascist and borderline nutjob right wing retards appear in most countries (to the shame of most of the populus).

Ignore them....like everyone else does, and let the local Police deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

I must say I'm very impressed by the quality of informed political discussion on that facebook page, and it certainly gives the lie to any idea they are just a bunch of resentment-filled morons:

James Larkin can suck my balls

big jims a queer

your a thick nob head Dom, and its not from across the water, THEY ARE HERE YOU MONG!

Any reds go near Himmler, and we will hunt you down like the dogs that you are and carve you up.

Burke himself would have envied such eloquence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I hear Fernando Torres doesn't like to march, no marching in sunny Spain :)

He marched out of Liverpool. You do know he plays for Chelsea now dont you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

thebaz wrote: »
    i thought this NF ****e died out in the 80's

ooooooooooooooooh jezus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

I don't see the big deal here to be honest. If anything, they are standing up for the right minded Irish people who can't stand the IRA in any form who are the vast majority of Irish people. So I would say well done to them in that regard.
    Wow, the ignorance on show here is astounding. I know a lot of hard-working Irish lads in the area and it's disrepectful to them. Do you even know what "forms" of the IRA are active today? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

racists love marching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Think it was a Home Rule MP.
    sinn fien formed a party called dail greaann in the 1918 election to get liverpool votes,because under the sinn fien name they would not take seats in goverment,same party with a different coat on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

As I am from an Irish immigrant family who came to Liverpool I can't help but feel offended by this. My family, like many other Irish families in Liverpool, came over to England out of necessity not out of want, so it's driven into us not to forget who we are or where we come from. Nevertheless my family have all integrated into English society perfectly and the family who were born here now consider themselves English as well as Irish including myself. The Irish often are very vocal and proud of their heritage but there's never any issue with failing to integrate into wherever they end up. I find it offensive that there are groups of people in this day and age who take issue and are willing to march based on my very own being here even though it is my own country as much as it is theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

As I am from an Irish immigrant family who came to Liverpool I can't help but feel offended by this. My family, like many other Irish families in Liverpool, came over to England out of necessity not out of want, so it's driven into us not to forget who we are or where we come from. Nevertheless my family have all integrated into English society perfectly and the family who were born here now consider themselves English as well as Irish including myself. The Irish often are very vocal and proud of their heritage but there's never any issue with failing to integrate into wherever they end up. I find it offensive that there are groups of people in this day and age who take issue and are willing to march based on my very own being here even though it is my own country as much as it is theirs.
    most of us with a irish ancestor feel the same as you,but living in england we see these fringe groups marching around the country every weekend,but its very rare that irish confrontation groups are involved,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

There's probably a thread on boards.co.uk's version of AH about how great it is people are speaking out against those Irish foreigners coming over to Britain and scrounging off the dole.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

dd972 wrote: »
    Don't let it put anyone off Liverpool either, great craic at the weekends, good pubs,culture and friendly people who are very much like the Irish, a good percentage of them actually being of Irish stock

I, in no way, wanted to put people off Liverpool or Liverpudlians. I know that these people do not represent Liverpool or the English as a whole. I just want people to be aware of this march's existence.
    Those invovled in the march are no worse than the tens of thousands of Irish people who have spent the past week posting vile and disgusting comments about the people and country of Mauritius.

Why are you trying to hijack this thread with a completely different subject? I am not one of the "tens of thousands" who made any comment anywhere on the internet about Mauritius, or the death of Michael McAreavey. There are plenty of other threads in which you can talk about that subject.

Why are you trying to hijack this thread with a completely different subject? I am not one of the "tens of thousands" who made any comment anywhere on the internet about Mauritius, or the death of Michael McAreavey. There are plenty of other threads in which you can talk about that subject.

Again how is making a comparison hijacking a thread? I was merely comparing like with like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Im going there for the weekend in 2 weeks. Have been there 3 times, totally pro irish from what I seen, never seen any anti irish sentiment there. Only hassle we got was from a fella that was half Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

They don't seem to be a very nice group of people when they have posters like this... It is a shame in this day and age but I suppose there's scum like this everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

There has always been been a loyalist and republican movement on Merseyside but it would be wrong to think that their is NI type situation in the community ...there isn't .The Orange Lodge is only few miles away from the Irish center but it's not like the regulars of either associations square up to each other every week .

I do recall about 10 years ago that a republican parade in Liverpool was hijacked by some hard core Loyalists but that was quickly dealt with by police and in the main I would say that the Irish community in Liverpool is as much established as any other in the city and has been for decades .

The majority of Liverpudlians know the difference between a proposed IRA - anti British march and a Fascist - anti Irish one .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

There was an orange lodge just down from Anfield, iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭granturismo

These right wingers:

pnBfF.jpg

want to hold a counter march to the crowd who support this

16.jpg
    http://jimlarkinrfb.blogspot.co.uk/

The 'Irish March' is an anti-fascist demo hijacked by terrorist supporters. One side is no better than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

This kind of bigoted rubbish is everywhere folks and we're well able to dish it out when we want to. Playing for the London GAA team in Parnell Park I was called a T@n C**t and Queen loving b@stard by Dubs standing 4 or 5 feet from my family who were in the stand.

Number of English players on the London team - 0.

It's more a reflection on the eejits themselves than Liverpool and it's people. From the little I've seen of Liverpool they love the Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

They need to announce publicly the formula for calculating T.M.I. is accurate, the national "average" value has been re-defined downward to 1.5 inches (3.8 cm) was aqnnounced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What is a "Sinn Fien"?
    I think it means masturbation in Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

ScumLord wrote: »
    What is a "Sinn Fien"?
    I think it means masturbation in Irish.

Close, but I think it means "wanker"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Out of all the cities in England, I'm surprised there would be such a march in Liverpool considering the large Irish influence on the city, not to mention that probably over three quarters of Liverpudlians have Irish parents, grandparents or ancestry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

So-called 'right-wing' EDL promotes homosexuality, Punjab immigration and has its own 'Jewish Division'. Yet it finds time to hold 'anti-IRA' marches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

El Siglo wrote: »
    They don't seem to be a very nice group of people when they have posters like this... It is a shame in this day and age but I suppose there's scum like this everywhere.
    Ha, Scousers my arse.

Like someone said in the Orange Order thread, the word Taig is unheard of over here. There's definitely a big group packing for the Belfast ferry this weekend.

The Belfast to Liverpool ferry will be busy this weekend.
    brummytom wrote: »

There's definitely a big group packing for the Belfast ferry this weekend.
    Always is for the James Larkin flute band events

I know people coming over on the Dublin ferry to Liverpool this weekend to attend a bus convention which thankfully is not been held in the city centre .
    dttq wrote: »
    Out of all the cities in England, I'm surprised there would be such a march in Liverpool considering the large Irish influence on the city, not to mention that probably over three quarters of Liverpudlians have Irish parents, grandparents or ancestry.

Hopefully wont come to it but It's possible that any outbreak of violence could also be from a % who don't live in Liverpool so best case scenario would be for the police to nip it in the bud while the tourists and locals alike go about their business , looking on with bemusement .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

These are the people involved. Seriously well developed, thought out political and social comment.

And the remix

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

I'm actually in tears laughing at my desk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

sure isnt the UK full of bigotry,its rife in football too,eventhough ironically they have a lot of black players on their teams..i mean ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm actually in tears laughing at my desk.

Don't mock - if it wasn't for him, you'd be musislamed.

I wouldn't even be arsed looking at any videos , it's about making it onto Sky News for many of these morons than any statement of concern for the ' British way of life ' ....as we know it Jim .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

sure isnt the UK full of bigotry,its rife in football too,eventhough ironically they have a lot of black players on their teams..i mean ffs

I wouldn't say it's any more bigoted than any other multi-cultural place. It attracts its fair share of immigrants and asylum seekers probably because it's quite tolerant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Latchy wrote: »
    I wouldn't even be arsed looking at any videos , it's about making it onto Sky News

Or comedy gold, tbh.

I wouldn't say it's any more bigoted than any other multi-cultural place. It attracts it's fair share of immigrants and asylum seekers probably because it's quite tolerant.
    Probably more than any other country in Europe... which is sometimes lost on people .
    RustyNut wrote: »
    Or comedy gold, tbh.
    That funny eh ? ..save me having to view.

Incidentally ,I hadn't heard of this group or the march this weekend until I seen this thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

By now, many of you will have heard of the demonstration organised by right-wing nutjobs the North-West Infidels (NWI) this Saturday in Liverpool. These thugs are a splinter group from the English Defence League (EDL), ironically, formed by second-generation Irishman Stephen Lennon (alias 'Tommy Robinson')

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/files/2012/07/brian5.jpg

They proclaim to be conducting an anti-IRA march in Liverpool this Saturday, yet the event they are disrupting is actually a rally for "Working Class Unity Against Racism & Fascism". The words "Irish", "Ireland", "Catholic", "Republican", "Sinn Fein" or "IRA" are never used.

http://liveraf.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/h.jpg

This is simply an excuse for moronic thugs to vent their spleens against their white Celtic neighbours, instead of members of the Asian community, whom they so often attack. They claim that "anti-British feeling is projected... by immigrant families from the Republic of Ireland"

They also claim, "these people are much like the Islamics (sic), they take take take with one hand and abuse their host nation with the other"(!)

This would all be laughable, considering the contribution hard-working Irish immigrants made to Liverpool and Britain as a whole, and the fact that the majority of the IRA who wreaked havoc on Britain were from Northern Ireland, not the Republic. However, these knuckle-draggers are capable of causing serious damage.

They do not have an official website, but they do have a facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-West-Infidels-Liverpool-and-Wirral/190747504303808

They could do with being told where they can shove their "Loyalist" march.

I'd never heard of these EDL people until last week when they had a march near me in Bristol.
    The march was against Islam or Muslims - they claimed it was a demonstration against extreme Islamists.
    There was a counter demonstration organised by Bristolians of different faiths and cultures to show that not everyone was like these people.
    A few scuffles, a couple of arrests and I heard no more about them until this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Those invovled in the march are no worse than the tens of thousands of Irish people who have spent the past week posting vile and disgusting comments about the people and country of Mauritius.

May get a banning but **** 100% off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 fitzYOLO

Hah so people I couldn't care less about are are marching in a place I couldn't care less about in a vain attempt to annoy me.

Oh god I'm splitting my ass laughing at these guys.

In fairness to them though a lot of people round here are ***** towards the British for no reason. Wah wah wah they shot my great, great grand uncle who was trying to shove a knife in their backs. Get over it.

Augmerson wrote: »
    May get a banning but **** 100% off.

When a small group of English people spout offensive crap about the Irish and hold an antiIrish march it's a vile, offensive and downright disgusting act.

When a small group of Irish people spout offensive crap about Mauritius and it's people and talk of how any Mauritians in Ireland will be severely beaten it's somewhat less disgusting and more acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Again how is making a comparison hijacking a thread? I was merely comparing like with like.

You would be comparing like with like if you were comparing an anti-Mauritus march in Ireland with an anti-Irish march in the UK. Can you find anyway.

Like with like with the anti-Mauritus sentiment on the internet in Ireland, which was minor - would be hostile anti-Irish sentiment on the internet in the UK and that is just a google away. -->

So you are, very much, hijacking this thread.

You would be comparing like with like if you were comparing an anti-Mauritus march with an anti-Irish march in the UK. Can you find anyway.

Like with like with the anti-Mauritus sentiment - which was minor - would be hostile anti-Irish sentiment on the internet and that is just a google away. -->

So you are, very much, hijacking this thread.

While we have yet to have an anti-Mauritus march we have had a number of businesses boycotting the country which is pretty much the same thing. It's funny reading how offended people are by a proposed march yet seem to find Irish businesses boycotting another country perfectly acceptable.

• Advertisement

While we have yet to have an anti-Mauritus march we have had a number of businesses boycotting the country which is pretty much the same thing. It's funny reading how offended people are by a proposed march yet seem to find Irish businesses boycotting another country perfectly acceptable.

You fallacious arguments are:

1) Whataboutary - argument tu quoque
    2) generalisations.
    3) strawman. The people who are against this are in favour of the anti-Mauritus sentiment. Probably they are not.

Nobody could ever condemn racism, if we assumed that everybody had to be perfect on the side receiving the racism... This is not the thread for the Mauritus discussion -->

You fallacious arguments are:

1) Whataboutary - argument tu quoque
    2) generalisations.
    3) strawman. The people who are against this are in favour of the anti-Mauritus sentiment. Probably they are not.

Nobody could ever condemn racism, if we assumed that everybody had to be perfect on the side receiving the racism... This is not the thread for the Mauritus discussion -->

I assume that comparing two groups of people who appear to share similar xenophobic ideologies in a thread on boards is not accepted any more. I've not discussing Mauritius but rather making a comparison between two uneducated and vile groups of people. The group who plan to have this march are no better or worse than the Irish people so quick to boycott Mauritius and threaten violence upon any Mauritian people they come across in Ireland. Bad as the group in England is at least they are not posting of how they plan to attack any Irish people they may come across.

I'm not defending the English group and find their actions to be offensive and backward, doesn't mean that I'm going to simply attack them for what they believe. As sad as it is that such events occur in this day and age they are entitled to protest as much as they want, I seriously doubt anyone bar the members of their niche group will take it seriously.

btw, it's whataboutery not whataboutary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why don't you refer to people posting in the thread who have actually supported such a boycott, rather than hopping in here and tarring all with the same brush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

This kind of bigoted rubbish is everywhere folks and we're well able to dish it out when we want to. Playing for the London GAA team in Parnell Park I was called a T@n C**t and Queen loving b@stard by Dubs standing 4 or 5 feet from my family who were in the stand.

Number of English players on the London team - 0.

It's more a reflection on the eejits themselves than Liverpool and it's people. From the little I've seen of Liverpool they love the Irish.

They must have been brain dead, maybe they were having a go at you for living over there, unfortunately there was in the past a snobbery from the ''uber Irish'' who stayed here towards those who headed for London, Birmingham and Manchester for economic reasons.

I don't think it's prevalent in other cultures. you don't hear of English people denouncing their own emigrants who went to Australia as traitors or less than English.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

what about the ''anti irish'' mariutans who went on to celebrate in full view of michealas living hubby john,i thought that was very insenstive now that we are on the topic of whataboutery..

I assume that comparing two groups of people who appear to share similar xenophobic ideologies in a thread on boards is not accepted any more. I've not discussing Mauritius but rather making a comparison between two uneducated and vile groups of people. The group who plan to have this march are no better or worse than the Irish people so quick to boycott Mauritius and threaten violence upon any Mauritian people they come across in Ireland. Bad as the group in England is at least they are not posting of how they plan to attack any Irish people they may come across.

You are making straw-man arguments. And where are the links to attacks on people from Mauritius? I haven't followed the case, do you have links where people say they are going to attack people?
    I'm not defending the English group and find their actions to be offensive and backward, doesn't mean that I'm going to simply attack them for what they believe.

Um, why wouldn't you attack them for what they believe? You are obviously capable attacking the internet hard men who are - apparently - threatening to attack people from Mauritius. How hard would it be to extend that to anti-Irish sentiment?
    As sad as it is that such events occur in this day and age they are entitled to protest as much as they want, I seriously doubt anyone bar the members of their niche group will take it seriously.

Who cares who takes it seriously or not? Go ahead and condemn as you would a anti-Mauritus march by people in Ireland, taken "seriously" or not.
    btw, it's whataboutery not whataboutary

Neither is really correct which is why I used the correct latin term.

• Advertisement

what about the ''anti irish'' mariutans who went on to celebrate in full view of michealas living hubby john,i thought that was very insenstive now that we are on the topic of whataboutery..

What about the fact that there is anti-Chinese sentiment in Mariutas, and there is anti-Japanese sentiment in China, but then the Japanese are anti-Chinese and have a small amount of anti-Semites, weirdly enough. We could be here all day, not discussing the actual thread topic.

Nodin wrote: »
    Why don't you refer to people posting in the thread who have actually supported such a boycott, rather than hopping in here and tarring all with the same brush?

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. Most of the posters here are against such a march and looking on facebook it's clear that most Irish people are against the march yet so few seem to be disgusted by the reaction to the Mauritius boycott. I haven't seen a whole lot of people coming out and saying that the proposed Mauritius boycott and the many posts online are disgusting and offensive but the second it involves anti Irish sentiments everything changes. Over the past day I've deleted a number of friends on facebook due to the outcry they have expressed over the march. Shame that so few of them express any disgust over what many of their friends are posting about Mauritius.

No one outside the groups small membership is going to take this march seriously. A number of friends in England have commented on this proposed march and not one of them takes it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭twinytwo

oh the irony of a bunch of english folk complaing about irish people in their country "taking" all the time and "abusing" their host nation.... not been around for the last 800 years then i take?

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. Most of the posters here are against such a march and looking on facebook it's clear that most Irish people are against the march yet so few seem to be disgusted by the reaction to the Mauritius boycott. I haven't seen a whole lot of people coming out and saying that the proposed Mauritius boycott and the many posts online are disgusting and offensive but the second it involves anti Irish sentiments everything changes. Over the past day I've deleted a number of friends on facebook due to the outcry they have expressed over the march. Shame that so few of them express any disgust over what many of their friends are posting about Mauritius.

The boycott is wrong, now can we move ON TO THE TOPIC OF THIS THREAD?

• Now this is the reason why I never considered myself English, despite being born and bred in England till I was 14 and and still speaking with an English accent still to this day.

I hope the anti plastic paddies understand what it was like for some of us in England occassionally and those of us who subject to this sort of crap "f*** off back to Ireland" etc. Don't get me wrong the vast majority of English people are good people nothing like these retards.

But the vast majority of English don't consider somebody with two irish parents, English, never have done and I know that with experiance.

Where abouts in English are you from? I hardly know anyone here with two English parents - most of my friends have two foreign parents and they're all considered English by most people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement