Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Revolting anti-Irish march in Liverpool

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Where abouts in English are you from? I hardly know anyone here with two English parents - most of my friends have two foreign parents and they're all considered English by most people.

London is like its own little island :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm not tarring everyone with the same brush. Most of the posters here are against such a march and looking on facebook it's clear that most Irish people are against the march yet so few seem to be disgusted by the reaction to the Mauritius boycott. ...........

So you presume silence is assent and proceed to hijack the thread to have a go at those you presume guilty.

Why not go to the appropriate thread and take issue with the 'guilty'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

While we have yet to have an anti-Mauritus march we have had a number of businesses boycotting the country which is pretty much the same thing.

No, no its not.

While I don't agree with it, a few business voting with their check book over an incident is in no way the same as a group of racist, evolution avoiding, knuckle draggers marching and protesting against everything that is not "British", what ever British means to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

This might be a stupid question, but what's a red? Or what's the reason behind the name? I've never heard it before..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

London is like its own little island :-)

Agree 100%, London and Birmingham are not English cities, before anyone has a go, this isn't a racist rant or anything, it's just that Manchester is the real capital of England in terms of it's demography and location.

tradhead wrote: »
    This might be a stupid question, but what's a red? Or what's the reason behind the name? I've never heard it before..

Communist. Its fired at anyone on the left though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭tradhead

Ah right, I thought it was some new anti-Irish insult! Bit silly of them, they've little to be at obviously.

tradhead wrote: »
    Ah right, I thought it was some new anti-Irish insult! Bit silly of them, they've little to be at obviously.

If it gives the Pakistani community an evening free of abuse, its something to be thankful for, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Strange... I thought the knuckle-dragging right-wing dopes such as the EDL had been trying to leave their anti-Irishness in the past since they found a new minority to scapegoat and abuse ( the Muslims.) My thoughts were that they believed we could all join up together and get rid of those nasty brown people from 'our islands'( at least those were some of the views I got from the likes of the BNP's supporters). I guess we're back in fashion now again. Suppose you have to hate on someone when your own life is so pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Somebody on the facebook page makes a salient point.

"What will you be protesting against next week? The grey squirrel?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

RustyNut wrote: »
    These are the people involved. Seriously well developed, thought out political and social comment.

And the remix

:D

Wait, what's this about "Muslamic Ray Guns"? This is a worrying trend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I would be very surprised if it was the EDL, I can't really see them using the union jack or the red hand in their posters.

They are a similar bunch of rentafascist dickheads, but this looks more like the BNP to me.

The EDL have black members - saw one on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭youreadthis

dd972 wrote: »
    Agree 100%, London and Birmingham are not English cities, before anyone has a go, this isn't a racist rant or anything, it's just that Manchester is the real capital of England in terms of it's demography and location.

There are more British people in London than the total population of Manchester and Birmingham combined.......

Just saying bro.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

indioblack wrote: »
    I'd never heard of these EDL people until last week when they had a march near me in Bristol.
    The march was against Islam or Muslims - they claimed it was a demonstration against extreme Islamists.
    There was a counter demonstration organised by Bristolians of different faiths and cultures to show that not everyone was like these people.
    A few scuffles, a couple of arrests and I heard no more about them until this thread.
    You forgot to add, none of the arrests were from the EDL.:cool:

The EDL have black members - saw one on Saturday.
    They even have Irish members.

getzls wrote: »
    They even have Irish members.

...showing that stupidity and bigotry are not traits exclusive to any specific race, culture, nation or faith.

Nodin wrote: »
    ...showing that stupidity and bigotry are not traits exclusive to any specific race, culture, nation or faith.

..of irish descent. although i almost joined them by accident last Sat, they came off the same train and the police kettled the lot of us for a while.

..of irish descent. although i almost joined them by accident last Sat, they came off the same train and the police kettled the lot of us for a while.

Such bonding opportunities are rare in life.

• Advertisement

Such bonding opportunities are rare in life.

They were a motley collection of tatooed yobs, a black man, and a transvestite.

Not my crowd.

Not my crowd.

Ye wha?

Ye wha?

The march was against an imam in bristol who attacked homosexulaity, transvestitism, and supported fgm. So this guy was there.

I actually didnt see him, I read about that later.

Anyway, while I think people should be able to protest religion there was a definite BNP vibe to the group, reminded me of a few soccer fans I have had the misfortune to bump into in English trains, and pubs before.

Not my crowd.
    No, not your crowd indeed. I doubt they would let you join with the views you have against Transgender people.

getzls wrote: »
    No, not your crowd indeed. I doubt they would let you join with the views you have against Transgender people.

what are you talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

dd972 wrote: »

It comes across a little but to me at least that you equate only being "white" as being English/British which isn't true at all of any country in the western world nowadays, but even if it was there are still more white british people in London than white Irish people.. in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Those invovled in the march are no worse than the tens of thousands of Irish people who have spent the past week posting vile and disgusting comments about the people and country of Mauritius.
    And this is what I hate about Ireland: we beat ourselves up before we've even started. The OP posts about a disgraceful example of prejudice and bigotry directed against the Irish in the UK and the very first response is 'well, we're not perfect ourselves'

It's an absolutely maddening tendency to turn on our own instead of doing what's right: wholeheartedly condemning any and all examples of prejudice. Not smugly indulging in whataboutism or taking any opportunity to run ourselves down

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

the muslamic ray guns thing was hilarious its back a few pages ..go on have a good laugh..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Where abouts in English are you from? I hardly know anyone here with two English parents - most of my friends have two foreign parents and they're all considered English by most people.

Ipswich.

And no I'm not making it up.

You see when I was going through my plastic paddy phase of supporting Ireland (before I came here at age 14), nobody once ever said to me in those years, "why aren't you supporting England, you were born here?" not once. I didn't even know what a plastic paddy was until I came here. Because when I was supporting Ireland everyone thought that was correct for me to do so and thats the way it should be.

When I told people I was moving to Ireland a lot people used to say "Oh Flynns moving back to Ireland" back as if in I was originally from there not England.

My music teacher used to come in and speak to me in an Irish accent in front of the class (he was an old git) and asked me once "so where have you guys got your caravans parked then"? Class laughed.

I often got called Irish bastard, Irish cúnt etc. F off back to Ireland and don't come back you filthy micks etc.

Obviously living here with an English accent a lot of people wouldn't consider me Irish, thats fine, but its understandable I don't consider myself English.

I have a friend who used to come over here a lot from Ipswich, he regularly thinks of us as Irish (even though we speak with an English accent) and my brother was supporting England once in Euro 2004 and criticised him for doing so saying "why are you supporting England for?? You're Irish, stop trying to act like somebody you're not". He also criticises us for not having Irish accents "where is you're irish accent, come on you should have one by now" etc etc.

You get the picture, basically the whole of Ipswich considered us Irish and if we were to support England it would look stupid to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

By now, many of you will have heard of the demonstration organised by right-wing nutjobs the North-West Infidels (NWI) this Saturday in Liverpool. These thugs are a splinter group from the English Defence League (EDL), ironically, formed by second-generation Irishman Stephen Lennon (alias 'Tommy Robinson')

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/files/2012/07/brian5.jpg
    " Irishman " - where is this fellas parents actually from ? Portadown, Larne, Lisburn or some other orange sh*thole ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would it be really bad for me to go to Liverpool, and ask them what their position is on Cork people.

Getz what is the betting that most people on that march will have one Irish grand parent

We love Cork folk. Said something very similar in the footy forum of late.

They have an accent that most of the country makes fun of.

The colour most associated with the sporting side of the city is Red.

The local people seem to have a dislike of their country's capital almost from birth.

Hell, Cork folk are practically scouse, and come to think of it Limerick ticks the right boxes as well.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ipswich.

I often got called Irish bastard, Irish cúnt etc. F off back to Ireland and don't come back you filthy micks etc.

You get the picture, basically the whole of Ipswich considered us Irish and if we were to support England it would look stupid to them.
    I'm only speaking in general terms and from experience of living in UK but I think it would be fair to say that city's like Like Liverpool, Manchester ,Birmingham and even parts of London over the decades have been more excepting of Irish people than places were the local populace consider themselves to be '100% white English '.
    Kess73 wrote: »

The local people seem to have a dislike of their country's capital almost from birth.
    Very true , Liverpublians take pride in calling it ' the republic of Liverpool ' and will fight their corner in unison at every opportunity whenever somebody's having a pop at their city ...and quite rightly so .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

" Irishman " - where is this fellas parents actually from ? Portadown, Larne, Lisburn or some other orange sh*thole ?

His parents were Catholic immigrants from the Republic of Ireland. He has also said

"Sixty per cent of Luton is Irish. Nearly every single one of my friends is Irish. I'm proud to have Irish heritage but I call myself English."

He has nothing to do with this particular march, it was organised by the North West Infidels, who broke away from the EDL, which Stephen Lennon/Tommy Robinson formed.

There are also videos on youtube which attempt (very, very badly) to paint Robinson as some kind of Irish republican sympathiser.

I wouldn't be surprised if the same people who uploaded those videos are involved in the North West Infidels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Kess73 wrote: »

Hell, Cork folk are practically scouse, and come to think of it Limerick ticks the right boxes as well.:D

No wonder the grandfather married one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

the nwi probably have about 3 members and they are weirdos.

lonely, disenfranchised males who feel no worth in society like to get behind their nation. It's the same the world over. We have them in ireland. Just lonely simple weirdos.

plus anyone can draw up a poster.

In the us there was someone dispatching extremely offensive, racist and right wing fliers and cartoons in the 60s. It causes the target to become offended and then the orchestrator can point at the target and say look, look at the beasts, they hate us.

Say no to nationalism, the go-to place for lonely angry men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Never understood the likes of Lennon and his mate Carroll in the EDL, they've got no English history or background so why get so worked up about saving England, secondly Luton is a toilet, let the immigrants have it.

EDL marches are just an outlet for losers acting hard, don't even see why the Irish Times saw it fit to mention a few idiots in Liverpool, anyone with a P.C or a Printer can knock out these pithy, bellicose looking posters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Leftist wrote: »
    the nwi probably have about 3 members and they are weirdos.

lonely, disenfranchised males who feel no worth in society like to get behind their nation. It's the same the world over. We have them in ireland. Just lonely simple weirdos.

plus anyone can draw up a poster.

In the us there was someone dispatching extremely offensive, racist and right wing fliers and cartoons in the 60s. It causes the target to become offended and then the orchestrator can point at the target and say look, look at the beasts, they hate us.

Say no to nationalism, the go-to place for lonely angry men.

Agreed.

I am a Scouse lad, I live in Wales and my family is from Ireland (I am 2nd generation)

I get insulted for being a Scouse, I get insulted for being Irish, which is not strictly true of course. I get insulted for being English. It is not nice, and the sort of folks who deliberately push nationalistic hatred are as bad as any out there. No matter what nation they proclaim to represent.

I have always been proud of who I am, where I am from and my heritage, but just occasionally I come across idiots who deeply shame me.

To all of the people insulted by the 'parade' in my home town of Liverpool I offer my honest and sincere apologies Please believe me when i say not everyone is like that. Just enough of them to be noticed. Rise above it and they will always fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Surprise surprise, they deleted all my comments from their Facebook page, along with other valid arguments, and the only opposition comment they left was "Tiochfaidh ar lá".

And now you can't comment on their stupid Facebook page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Rubecula wrote: »
    Agreed.

I am a Scouse lad, I live in Wales and my family is from Ireland (I am 2nd generation)

I get insulted for being a Scouse, I get insulted for being Irish, which is not strictly true of course. I get insulted for being English. It is not nice, and the sort of folks who deliberately push nationalistic hatred are as bad as any out there. No matter what nation they proclaim to represent.

I have always been proud of who I am, where I am from and my heritage, but just occasionally I come across idiots who deeply shame me.

To all of the people insulted by the 'parade' in my home town of Liverpool I offer my honest and sincere apologies Please believe me when i say not everyone is like that. Just enough of them to be noticed. Rise above it and they will always fail.
    the latest so called anti-irish march is a reaction to the other so called IRA republican march in liverpool two months ago.they are all idiots,but the only people who are reacting to it are the irish

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

getz wrote: »
    the latest so called anti-irish march is a reaction to the other so called IRA republican march in liverpool two months ago.they are all idiots,but the only people who are reacting to it are the irish

Surely thats because the only people being insulted are Irish...

AEDIC wrote: »
    Surely thats because the only people being insulted are Irish...
    so you do not think the liverpool IRA commemoration march insults those people in warrington,and manchester ?

• Advertisement

Funny it refers to "taigs" and not IRA supporters then.

so you do not think the liverpool IRA commemoration march insults those people in warrington,and manchester ?

Its very likely, but what does that have to do with Irish people being offended by the March mentioned in the OP of this thread.... oh yes...more whattaboutery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

In the 2nd pic, why are they punching a swastika?

smash wrote: »

Retarded?

AEDIC wrote: »
    Its very likely, but what does that have to do with Irish people being offended by the March mentioned in the OP of this thread.... oh yes...more whattaboutery.
    simply because the press is stirring the pot to get a irish reaction,and it has

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

smash wrote: »

It's for the antifa march they are countering.

What Liverpool IRA Commemoration March? As I said in my original post, the words 'Ireland', 'Irish', 'IRA', 'Sinn Féin' or 'Catholic' are never used.

http://liveraf.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/working-class-unity-against-racism-and-fascism-rally-march-in-liverpool-21st-july/

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

By now, many of you will have heard of the demonstration organised by right-wing nutjobs the North-West Infidels (NWI) this Saturday in Liverpool. These thugs are a splinter group from the English Defence League (EDL), ironically, formed by second-generation Irishman Stephen Lennon (alias 'Tommy Robinson')

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/generationemigration/files/2012/07/brian5.jpg

They proclaim to be conducting an anti-IRA march in Liverpool this Saturday, yet the event they are disrupting is actually a rally for "Working Class Unity Against Racism & Fascism". The words "Irish", "Ireland", "Catholic", "Republican", "Sinn Fein" or "IRA" are never used.

http://liveraf.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/h.jpg

This is simply an excuse for moronic thugs to vent their spleens against their white Celtic neighbours, instead of members of the Asian community, whom they so often attack. They claim that "anti-British feeling is projected... by immigrant families from the Republic of Ireland"

They also claim, "these people are much like the Islamics (sic), they take take take with one hand and abuse their host nation with the other"(!)

This would all be laughable, considering the contribution hard-working Irish immigrants made to Liverpool and Britain as a whole, and the fact that the majority of the IRA who wreaked havoc on Britain were from Northern Ireland, not the Republic. However, these knuckle-draggers are capable of causing serious damage.

They do not have an official website, but they do have a facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-West-Infidels-Liverpool-and-Wirral/190747504303808

They could do with being told where they can shove their "Loyalist" march.

Would it be ok, if they had a march just against Norn Iron people OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

There was no "IRA commemoration march", which is what both the Irish Times and MakeEmLaugh have pointed out. It's the whole point really. This EDL march is not directed against the IRA or IRA sympathisers or whatever. It's simple racism: associating anything Irish with the IRA in order to score points

• Advertisement

Would it be ok, if they had a march just against Norn Iron people OP?

No. My point is that organisations like the North West Infidels, and their forerunners in the National Front, abhor Irish nationalism and Roman Catholicism, referred to in Rudyard Kiplin's poem Ulster as "England's oldest foe".

They view Northern Ireland, or Ulster as they frequently refer to it, as a bastion of British nationalism. As the National Front stated publicly before, "[Ulster loyalism is a] matter of deep-rooted sentiment - a prompting of instinctive self-awareness, tradition and blood."

Therefore, 'Ulster' cannot be the home any kind of Irish nationalism. To them, Irish republicanism is a decadent by-product of the Republic of Ireland, which is why the North West Infidels singled out the Republic of Ireland on this poster. It doesn't matter than most of the vast majority of IRA members convicted in relation to actual bombings and shootings that occurred in the last 45 years hailed from Northern Ireland.

John Tyndall, the founder of the National Front and BNP, has said "We've got to... put an end to the absurd posture of a British government trying to be neutral in the Ulster conflict. We are not neutral in N. Ireland; we are on the British side and against the anti-British side."

If you want more insight into the mindset of John Tyndall, he wrote this

"Jews are a race of unheroic, greasy, shifty-eyed, sickly money-lenders, rent-racketeers, pornographers and Big Business wide-boys. If Britain were to become Jew-clean, she would have no n-gger neighbours to worry about."

Advertisement