Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Grad Medicine...changing from career as Primary School Teacher

Options
  • 18-07-2012 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

I am a primary school teacher with a permanent job in a promising school. I have been teaching for a few years and am in my mid twenties. I have done very well in my job however since before my Leaving Cert I have always been interested in Medicine and I keep coming back to it again and again.

I got 490 points in my Leaving and to be honest, could have gotten more if I'd tried a little harder. For my LC I did both Chemistry and Biology. I have a 1.1 in an M.Ed. and 2.1 in my B.Ed.

Anyway, for anyone who has done the Grad course can you please tell me if you would recommend it and also if it is crazy considering it seeing as I am not coming from a health background.

It really is coming to the time that if I am ever going change career I need to do it now.

I really would appreciate any advice whatsoever.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

I haven't done the course but I have a sibling who works in the medical sector and has colleagues who have gone this route and who did medicine straight from LC.

The major thing that he talks about is how these days to be a doctor you REALLY have to want it because the career ladder in Ireland especially is so precarious at the end of all the work.
    He also feels that those coming to medicine that bit older make better doctors in terms of dealing with patients and colleagues.

Maybe some work shadowing is what you need at this stage to see if your perception of the job is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

My sister's friend is doing grad medicine in UL at the moment, she got a degree in biochemistry I think. She had a very hard time trying to find a job and her heart was always set on medicine since secondary school. She made the decision to go back to college to do it as she knew it would make her happy in the long run. Right now she is finding it tough, that's to be expected, it's a difficult course. I'd say talk to the school of medicine in a college you'd like to apply to, they can bee very helpful and will tell you loads about other people who have done what you are considering.

I'm nearly finished my degree in science and I now want to go into engineering after this as my heart was always sorta set on doing that. I contacted the school I was interested in and they discussed exactly what I had to do to gain entry into, they were very helpful.

It's daunting that it's several more years of being an undergrad while all your friends are getting jobs or doing postgrads or whatever but just do what you think will make you happy, that's so so so much more important. With regard to not having a health related degree, I wouldn't say that's massively important. That fact that you have a degree and a masters means that you know how to study properly so you should be fine, the course is designed for people who do not come from a science related degree but it does help.

Do you get much joy out of primary teaching? what is it about medicine that stimulates you? compared to teaching.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moved to postgrad forum, from graduate forum.

Advertisement