Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Action/Adventure Holiday

Options
  • 18-07-2012 4:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and three mates are going to NZ next week for a holiday. We're in the process of looking up some activities we can do for the week. We've allowed ourselves the five days, Monday-Friday to do whatever activities we can afford.

We will be staying in Queenstown all week and we'll have a rental car. We're trying to squeeze in as much as possible during the week (skiing/snowboarding, bungee, skydive, white water rafting etc etc) as we want to make as much out of our trip but trying to stick within a budget too.

Can anyone who's been before recommend any good operators for any of the activities listed above (or similar type activities) or know of any way to reduce the cost of it all i.e. a bundle with a few things combined? Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Go to Rotorua and do the Kaituna Falls with River Rats and then hit the Agrodome and the Zorb run. Not too far away from Taupo Lake and do a sky dive on a clear day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Rabies wrote: »
    Go to Rotorua and do the Kaituna Falls with River Rats and then hit the Agrodome and the Zorb run. Not too far away from Taupo Lake and do a sky dive on a clear day.

Thanks R but we're going to be based out of Queenstown for the week so the north island is out of our reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Flights within NZ can be cheap. Don't go to NZ and not see both islands.

grabaseat.co.nz

We've already booked accommodation in QT. We're meeting friends who live on the north island and they're travelling down to meet us. I live in Melbourne so I'll be back to NZ again. My plan is to do the south island this time round and the north island next year. It'll be too much trying to do both islands in just over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I was just down there a few weeks ago, I'd love to live thre if there was work! Hmm a week isnt much time but here's some ideas:

Ski-the snow season kicked in early and they have good levels of snow already on some peaks. Not sure of pricing but there are a few different peaks and routes to choose from depending on your skill level. I know the multiday passes are good value and some hotels offer packages etc.

Jetboat-Meh, not really my thing but you'v got at least two different operators that will throw you around in an incredibly fast boat for a while :) I've heard good things about the Shotoever river one but never done it meself.

Skydive/Bungy- again several operators do this in several locations, just google etc. All recently have had their safety standards improved with new legislation so its never been safer.

Milford Sound- A MUST SEE probably one of the most gorgeous part of NZ to visit. You can fly, bus or drive there easily from Queenstown depending on your budget and then do kayak or boat trips around tha different waterways. Amazing scenery and wildlife.

Hike the Milford Track-Not sure if you'll be able to do this right now as I read somewhere it was being upgraded and is often booked well in advance....

Wanaka- Lovely town not too far drive from Queenstown. Gorgeous scenery, plenty of activities and a really interesting little cinema to check out!

Haast Pass-Franz Josef/Fox Glacier- A few hours drive North of Wanaka, this route will take you through a national park with great views of Mt Cook etc then you have the choice of two glaciers to do walking/helicopter tours on.

I wouldnt bother with going South to Invercargill or East to Dunedin, just drive up the west coast once you get bored with Queenstown and soak in the scenery. Mt Hutt is also a popular skifield but a good few hours drive north of QT.

• Advertisement

Thanks P, some good info there. Everyone is telling us to make sure we do Milford Sound so looks like we'll have to see what all the fuss is about. It looks amazing on google images! Can it be done in one day? A four hour drive over and back will take a lot of time out of the day but I guess we could leave at 6/7 in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Milford can be done in a day; it just means a very early morning. You should check that the tunnel road is open before you go. It's avalanche country in winter and can get snowed up.
    You should also try get to Te Anau lake and gloworms cave
    http://www.realjourneys.co.nz/Main/GlowwormCaves/
    A brother lives there and said the shotover had been closed for 2 weeks with the big freeze, but I think it's just reopened. They have had a shocking cold snap.
    Glenorchy is a nice drive by wakatipu and at the end those mountains are the ones at Milford, just the other side. Awesome views.
    Arrowtown, Wanaka for day trips.
    Ski or board in any of local fields, coronet peak is closest to town, make sure your hire vehicle has chains.
    Cardrona and remarkables usually have better powder. Wanaka ski field is a bit of a hike.
    Fergburger has best burger in town, apparently BOD had 6-7 in a row when Ireland stayed there recently.
    It's a party town with people from everywhere so if you have a lot to do, stick to the plan or forget about it.
    The bungy is fun, I did the Nevis. It is awesome, watching various people freak out beforehand adds to it. Last visit, just drove over to Kawaru to watch people. Some chick who lost a drinking game did the bungy starkers! It was the end of July and frrrreezing.
    Good times but bring your credit card!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Milford sound is fantastic but +1 on checking the road status before you go. Closed means totally closed with a barrier down well before the tunnel.

Decent enough snow there at the moment. If it's your thing you could easily spend a day at each of Coronet Peak and The Remarkables.

Rafting is a good laugh, especially if there's a bit of a thaw to push the water levels up. The Shotover is better than the Kawerau- only way to do it this time of the year is helicopter in-raft out. Pushes the cost up a bit, but not too much.

Make sure you get stuff booked the day before at least. Queenstown is pretty depressing during the day at this time of the year- cold, no sun, bored nonskiers or people in plaster casts, and hungover tourists are the only people you see.

Advertisement