Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to stop?

Options
  • 18-07-2012 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi quitters,
    Im really in need of help here. Im 24 and my mam died last year of lung cancer directly caused by smoking, she was otherwise very fit and healthy and only 58. I was able to give up when pregnant without a bother but started again straight away, despite my mam dying 11 days after i gave birth Im still puffing away. I read the Allan Carr but and was really excited about giving up but i rushed the last few chapters and haven't given up :(
    I've just recently started losing weight so i think in the back of my head this is preventing me stopping (fear of undoing my hard work maybe) but at the same time I've gotten big into exercise and of corse the filthy things are holding me back. I really need to do something i feel like crying every smoke i light up and it was my mams only wish that i stop.
    Im thinking of going to an Allen Carr clinic? Have these worked for any of you? Or maybe champix?
    Sorry for the ramble, would love some advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

CarMe wrote: »
    Hi quitters,
    Im really in need of help here. Im 24 and my mam died last year of lung cancer directly caused by smoking, she was otherwise very fit and healthy and only 58. I was able to give up when pregnant without a bother but started again straight away, despite my mam dying 11 days after i gave birth Im still puffing away. I read the Allan Carr but and was really excited about giving up but i rushed the last few chapters and haven't given up :(
    I've just recently started losing weight so i think in the back of my head this is preventing me stopping (fear of undoing my hard work maybe) but at the same time I've gotten big into exercise and of corse the filthy things are holding me back. I really need to do something i feel like crying every smoke i light up and it was my mams only wish that i stop.
    Im thinking of going to an Allen Carr clinic? Have these worked for any of you? Or maybe champix?

Hi.
    It's hard to advise on which way to stop, as everyone has a different method that works for them.
    I stopped this time going cold turkey having previously tried to stop with the help of lozenges, inhalers etc..., and I think that this is the best for me.
    Try and and figure out what you will miss most. If it's the nicotine, try lozenges, if its holding to somehing, try an inhaler, and so on.

What is apparent, to me anyway, is that you are in the correct frame of mind to stop, and that really is half the battle. If someone gives up and doesnt really want to then the battle is so much more difficult.
    Whatever way you choose to stop, I wish you the best of luck!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Gastroboy,here we go again :)

CarMe,
    My piece of advice for what it's worth is firstly you really,really have to want to give up.
    I firmly believe that if you don't actually want to give up,well then you are wasting your time(sorry if this seems defeatist but you will only frustrate yourself and make it much harder for yourself the next time you try)
    Once you want to quit you will.
    I came back from a long holiday having decided before I even went that I was going to quit.
    After that there is no right way/better way/easier way.It's whatever feels best for you.( for instance I purposely decided that I wasn't going to avoid the pub-reason being that I had enough on my mind givin up the smokes besides worrying about anything else)
    As regards the weight issue,if you are already excercising then I suspect that the weight will stay off and the added bonus is that once you quit the smokes your fitness will increase greatly and you will be able to excercise harder and longer.
    Lastly read some of the threads here for inspiration(Gasroboy's is a good place to start) and keep postiing for support/updates etc,there are loads of people here to make it easier for you.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

CarMe wrote: »
    Hi quitters,

First of all I want to say I am sorry to hear about your loss. Bar the fact I am a bloke your situation is very similar to mine. I lost my mum to lung cancer at the age of 53 last september. It was the most shocking sh!te I had gone through or witnessed ever and as a smoker I couldn't even use the experience as a want or reason to give up. At the time I just wasn't ready. I was dealing with the death the best way I could and we all think smoking helps those tough situations.

There were two main reasons why I didn't stop smoking. 1 I just wasn't ready. I was dealing with the pain of everything.
    2. I hated people telling me to stop smoking and my family constantly making me feel like a bad mean person cause of it even though that wasn't their direct intention.

60 days ago I went to an allen carr clinic. It was qorth every penny I paid. Like a previous poster mentions. You quite simply need to really really want to stop smoking. Once you make that decision everything you hear on the day of the clinic will show you a whole new light. It did for me anyway. I began to hear all these stories from 13 different people and every single one of us had the same stories or instances throughout our lives regarding smokes.

All affected physically in the same ways.
    Most had parents who died from them.
    Noone could sleep at night without closing off the day with one and these are only 3 of loads. I am off them 60 days. I got the book after the clinic cause I wanted to actually read it cause I felt it would help and it did.

You just need to be sure in your mind that you want to stop smoking. You know the reasons like I did and I understand why you aren't jumping into stopping so take your time be sure and most of all be happy.

Good luck and if you Need any advice drop me a pm regarding the allen carr clinic I will fill you in more if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Hi CarMe
    I just read your post, and god help you, this is rough time for you. I understand you are desperately anxious to give up the dreaded smokes, and I wish I could give you a magic answer.

First things first – just look at smoking for what it is – no not what it does to your health. Smoking is currently a part of your life, it’s a thing you do so many times a day, it’s a daily routine. You have the power to change your routine, and you already have – you said you’ve started doing loads of exercise? There you go. You already know how to change some of your day, and this is going to be part of it too.

Once you get it into your head that you are going to have to work at changing your daily lifestyle so that you take the smoking bit out, then you know you have to make sure it stays out. Think of it as a fight, a fight to keep your new lifestyle that you have chosen.

I keep pushing at people to up their vitamins when they give up, as your body is going to be your first enemy that will not like your new choices.
    Also (if you want) use any NRT help you like, be it patches, gum etc to help keep the yukky nicotine cravings at bay. It’s hard enough to change your lifestyle without the cravings.

The one major thing that helped me, was remembering that I wanted to be the boss of me (!). It used to annoy me how I constantly had made time for smoke breaks, wondered when I could leave the room to have my smoke, wondered when was it ok to leave conversations in restaurants so I could have my smoke.... how long till the next luas – was there time for a smoke.....

Wishing you the best of luck, hope this is some help for you.

Advertisement