Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance and the family implication!

Options
  • 18-07-2012 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi ,
    looking for a little advice if anyone can help, getting CONFLUSTERED on the SW site. From next week, I will be renting a room off my sister. I will be paying her €50 per week. She is basically doing me a favour as i am starting college in September as a mature student and she lives closer to the college. She has "kindly" told me this is a short term thing.
    If I can show that i am living with her for 6 months (ie, paying rent and on a bill), would I be eligible for rent allowance. I have been on jobseekers for the previous 9 months living at home, and will be getting Back to education allowance in September.
    I have heard that you are not eligible for Rent Allowance on the Back to Education Allowance unless you where already recieving it when you started college.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=861

post question there, i'd imagine you'd get better responce/advice

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

thanks , am new to this !!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if you can get rent allowance with a family member as landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you can get rent allowance with a family member as landlord.
    It used to be possible (with some extra hoops to jump through) at least until 2005ish. Don't know if it still is.

my brother rents a room off me for the last two and half years. he has been unemployed for about 12 months(at different times) during these couple of years.
    when he was unemployed he got rent allowance cheques for me, now the amount did go down between 2010 and 2011, but i didnt mind!

he didnt have any hassle applying, the welfare officer asked him if i was related, he told her i was his sister. nothing else asked!

• Advertisement
Advertisement