Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco at it again - GRRRRRRrrrrrrrr...

Options
  • 18-07-2012 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8 AG34

Once again, Tesco has proved that they give not-a-toss for their customers.
    In their latest leaflet advertising reductions (the one that has the coupons in it) they have advertised BigALs Chicken Dippers, 24 pack, as reduced to €2.49. Happy days, especially with the Big ALs coupons.
    So, off I pop to get 4 bags of said Dippers and get charged €5.99 per bag !!!
    I then go to customer services to sort it out and the upshot is this - I bought the EXACT product advertised in the picture, but in the small print a slighty different gram weight is stated. An absolute con. There is no such product (no 24 pack BigAls dippers at the grams in small print).He grudgingly agreed to give me the difference (not double the difference)in price, stating that I was the one getting it wrong!!!!!!!:mad::confused:
    This took 40 mins to sort out last night - being made to feel embarassed, as if I was chancing my arm!!! I was not!!
    Beware of this offer!!

Ali

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Why did you pay the 5.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Not a Bargain Alert, so moved to Consumer Issues.

Am a bit confused... there is no 24 such product as a 24 pack of Big Al's Chicken Dippers? What they get the photo from, or do they just not sell them?

I picked up Salmon Fillets in a 3 for €9 promotion recently.. all 3 packs looked identical yet was charged seperately because one of the packs had "Skinless.." underneath it. Not obvious but didn't directly blame Tesco for it either.

If they don't sell a 24 pack yet used that image to advertise it, that is a little misleading but I have my doubts about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 AG34

There is a 24 pack of Big ALs Dippers - thats what I bought and what is featured in the picture in brochure! Its just in the small print below it, an incorrect weight for this product is stated. Check out the brochure on-line!

I paid €5.99 as it rang through at this price at the till, I had thought that the reduction would be made at the till - it was part of a bigger shop.

Tesco's fault here, Lads!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Untitled_199.jpg

OK.. that is a bit cheeky actually!

They actually haven't an image for that 360g bag online either..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

I was in Tesco recently (Maynooth) and they did have the 24 bag at the marked down price, they had a 40 piece bag for 5.99 but one I realised the difference in the quantity and chose the cheaper one there was no issue, I think the way they had them laid out was a bit misleading. The Maynooth branch I went into is a Tesco Extra store, maybe its only the big ones that stock them?

On a seperate note, I recently bought butter from my local Tesco (Lucan) and discovered the next day that it was out of date by over a month so I brought it back to the store where the manager wasted no time in telling me that it had nothing to do with them, they only sell whatevers given to them to sell, claimed no responsibility for insuring the products they are selling are in date! Tesco have lowered their standards overall IMO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Surely when the person at the till charged you 23.96 you would have just questioned them on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

AG34 wrote: »
    There is a 24 pack of Big ALs Dippers - thats what I bought and what is featured in the picture in brochure! Its just in the small print below it, an incorrect weight for this product is stated. Check out the brochure on-line!

I paid €5.99 as it rang through at this price at the till, I had thought that the reduction would be made at the till - it was part of a bigger shop.

Tesco's fault here, Lads!!!
    Have you a link to the brochure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Melion wrote: »
    Surely when the person at the till charged you 23.96 you would have just questioned them on it?

While I cant speak for the OP I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility he/she bought more than chicken dippers on a visit to Tesco.

Melion - As I said it was part of a big shop I was doing - I did question it when I saw the total - and was referred to customer service - this is not my bad here!!!!

UDP - Sorry I can't get the link but Basq has just posted the part of the brochure the add is in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

OP contact head office/customer service and make a complaint as that is not on. You could contact bigals and see if they even have a 360g pack - which is unlikely since it is a 24 pack.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tesco used the wrong image in their flyer, that's all.
    The advertisement says 360g BigAl Dippers is half-price at €2.49 and this is correct.
    Tesco sell BigAls 20 Dippers and 24 Dippers. The 20 Dippers 360g is at €2.49 and the 24 Dippers 450g is at €5.99

Both these packs appear in Tesco.ie online shopping.

Maybe you should go back to Tesco and make the manager aware that you picked up the wrong pack and offer to pay the correct price.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tesco used the wrong image in their flyer, that's all.
    The advertisement says 360g BigAl Dippers is half-price at €2.49 and this is correct.
    Tesco sell BigAls 20 Dippers and 24 Dippers. The 20 Dippers 360g is at €2.49 and the 24 Dippers 450g is at €5.99

Both these packs appear in Tesco.ie online shopping.

Maybe you should go back to Tesco and make the manager aware that you picked up the wrong pack and offer to pay the correct price.

Maybe the store manager should be aware of the deals going on and any issues. Failing that maybe they should give the customer the benefit of the doubt until they know whats going on - especially given they've made the mistake in their flyer.

I'm not exactly sure what the difference is between the products the OP mentions other than weight so I'm guessing Big Als may be making smaller dippers hoping the customer doesnt notice which may be something you take up with them too.

40 minutes is too long to be waiting. You may have been the first person to return the packets and i certainly wouldn't check every single barcode and weight on each box myself when i pack them.

if the wrong bags were packed at a yellow label, i'd have given you double. If they were beside each other and you chose the wrong one, i would have refunded just the difference. When a product goes on offer, they dont move it away from similar products, it stays as per the plan so its up to the customer to pick the right one. Most times it will be due to poor packing though.

3 days last week i went in to find the nightshift had packed birds eye dippers on the promotion end instead of big als :-S
    Sadly, an English reading test isnt part of the interview process.

Maybe the store manager should be aware of the deals going on and any issues. Failing that maybe they should give the customer the benefit of the doubt until they know whats going on - especially given they've made the mistake in their flyer.

All price errors are measured. The store managers and above are aware, I believe the target is one error per 1,500 customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I was in Tesco recently (Maynooth) and they did have the 24 bag at the marked down price, they had a 40 piece bag for 5.99 but one I realised the difference in the quantity and chose the cheaper one there was no issue, I think the way they had them laid out was a bit misleading. The Maynooth branch I went into is a Tesco Extra store, maybe its only the big ones that stock them?

On a seperate note, I recently bought butter from my local Tesco (Lucan) and discovered the next day that it was out of date by over a month so I brought it back to the store where the manager wasted no time in telling me that it had nothing to do with them, they only sell whatevers given to them to sell, claimed no responsibility for insuring the products they are selling are in date! Tesco have lowered their standards overall IMO

That is completely unacceptable. Your contract is with the shop, not the manufacturer and it is the shop's responsibility to refund you should one of the products not be fit for its intended purpose.

Yeah I know the score unfortunately. You'll get one guy in CS sending down a brand new "No quibble refund policy" then someone in loss prevention going ape because your refunds are higher. You end up having to try it on with customers and end up rewarding the narky ones at the expense of the ones that are nice and will just leave it. (no offense OP good on you imo) Ahhh retail.

Its pretty clear, imo, what happened here. They've used the 24 bad 450g image and mean the 20 360g. Assuming the image is as small in the brochure what they've ended up offering is a 24 piece 360g bag that doesn't exist. They're under no obligations to provide what the advertise but you would have though the SM would have given the double difference then spent a minute thinking about it and working out whats happened.

Used to happen every week at the place I managed - someone would balls up pricing somewhere and the guys on the floor would just do it without thinking. I generally let people away with the lower price until I could fix it but some stores wouldn't.

Snubbleste - I think its pretty unfair that you are making out that I was trying to pull a fast one here - I was not shopping on-line, I was instore and had every right to question what I was charged.

I have contacted the customer service line and a very nice guy called Gary has just confirmed that I should have received double to difference as the brochure is incorrect and that I bought the product on the understanding that it was €2.49. He agrees the brochure is misleading. He is sending me the difference by money card this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Frowzy

AG34 wrote: »
    Snubbleste - I think its pretty unfair that you are making out that I was trying to pull a fast one here - I was not shopping on-line, I was instore and had every right to question what I was charged.

I have contacted the customer service line and a very nice guy called Gary has just confirmed that I should have received double to difference as the brochure is incorrect and that I bought the product on the understanding that it was €2.49. He agrees the brochure is misleading. He is sending me the difference by money card this week.

Good on you! I made the same mistake, matching the product to the picture in the brochure and was charged 5.99, I did notice at the time and questioned it, got them at reduced price.

Some people just want to make you feel like you're doing something wrong. Tesco made a mistake, but I didn't know that, neither did the cashier it seems. If either of us had known I would have changed them for the correct product.

You were right to raise it, well done on the refund!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

looks like they found some boxes or maybe even a pallett of butter in the back of the fridge and will get rid of it any way they can!

On another note my sister did some online shoping recently and bought some chicken fillets, a 6 pack which cost €5.75 but she was charged €5.75 X 6 = €34.50

Check your receipts and online shopping very carefully with the likes of Tesco's, Dunnes, Super-Valu and Superquin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

I'd get this guy's name and send by recorded delivery an account of the conversation, a copy of the label and your receipt to their head office.

Any company can make a mistake, but when they try to insult your intelligence then they should be brought to book.

When I worked in supermarkets in the mid-80s we used to ensure that we checked the dates, faced up with the shortest dates at the front and anything that was out-of-date went to the staff canteen!

SSE

• Advertisement

LOL the fines are up to €1000 PER ITEM. Set environmental health on them :) (Or what ever its called)

I'd love to see that disciplinary - so you annoyed a customer who just wanted some butter and now we have a €100,000 fine...

As for lowering their standards aren't they just some re-badged failed company that was bought out. I remember when I first moved over and going into a Tesco being pretty disgusted with the state of the place. I'd moved over from a Mining Town in Fife so the one in Kirkcaldy wasn't exactly the Ritz to begin with. That said some of the newer ones are nice and looks like they do have a few people working for them that understand customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

LOL the fines are up to €1000 PER ITEM. Set environmental health on them :) (Or what ever its called)

I'd love to see that disciplinary - so you annoyed a customer who just wanted some butter and now we have a €100,000 fine...

As for lowering their standards aren't they just some re-badged failed company that was bought out. I remember when I first moved over and going into a Tesco being pretty disgusted with the state of the place. I'd moved over from a Mining Town in Fife so the one in Kirkcaldy wasn't exactly the Ritz to begin with. That said some of the newer ones are nice and looks like they do have a few people working for them that understand customer service.

Which failed company?:confused:

I'm not sure. I thought Tesco bought out a retailer here that were know for being a bit pants. I presume they are still lumbered with some of the 'old ways'. Not to say they've got it 100% right in the UK either to be fair.

Here we go:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm not sure. I thought Tesco bought out a retailer here that were know for being a bit pants. I presume they are still lumbered with some of the 'old ways'. Not to say they've got it 100% right in the UK either to be fair.

Here we go:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_Ireland

I think the only failure in the Tesco/Ireland situation was their trying to start off with a handful of stores donkeys' years ago, but it was obvious that there weren't enough of them, and these were widely spread, so not cost-effective distribution-wise. I don't know whether they expected an Irish chain to put itself on the market, but if they did, it didn't work out, so they took off back to the UK after selling the stores to H Williams.

Off course, when they got their hands on Quinnsworth years afterwards, it was a different story, and I think that many people were sorry to see Quinnsworth go.

I can remember seeing an H Williams store in Tralee when I was here on holiday as a kid. Ironically enough the current occupier of the building is Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - please stick to the OT. Please don't go off-topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

UDP wrote: »
    Have you a link to the brochure?
    http://www.tesco.ie/pricenews/

dudara wrote: »
    Posters - please stick to the OT. Please don't go off-topic.

dudara

Apologises and to to the OP also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

So Tesco have basically put a photo of a 24 pack up and the offer is for the 20 pack ?

OP , and to Prettyfireworks , write to Tesco customer.services@tesco.ie , I did so recently when I got 6 wraps in a packet marked 8 wraps.

I got a 5 euro voucher within 1 week of my e-mail

Prettyfireworks , actually your complaint is really very shocking , not that they sold the butter ( these things sometimes happen ) but the Manager's attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please stick to the topic at hand and do not descend into a general discussion about Tesco. The topic here is misleading advertising. Stick to it.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i certainly wouldn't check every single barcode and weight
    I often do check the barcodes against the offer label on the shelf. Especially when there is a range of similar looking/sounding packets from the same brand all next to each other. SHelf packers can get it wrong, and also customers can dump items they previously picked up on top of the offer items as they exchange them when they come across an offer. You usually only have to compare the last few digits in the barcodes.

<SNIP> off topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement