Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locked out help

Options
  • 18-07-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi have a problem with a key left in the inside of a lock in PVC door and can't open the door from the outside.
    Any ideas.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is there any other accessible points into your house?
    Otherwise paying a locksmith is your best option with the least damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

same thing happened to me, left key in the inside lock. had to call locksmith cost 80 euro arggg. cheaper than breaking a window I suppose.
    I don't know why they make those locks that way :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

mal_1 wrote: »
    Hi have a problem with a key left in the inside of a lock in PVC door and can't open the door from the outside.
    Any ideas.

Not without access to the other side, some locks are designed this way to prevent someone using a key from the outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Could you not push the key out with a long skinny pin?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It's a Pvc door, not an old keyhole.

• Advertisement

There's still a gap

To turn the key and push it out?:confused:

KoolKid wrote: »
    To turn the key and push it out?:confused:
    Who said the key was turned in the lock?
    :confused:

The chances of a key in a barrel being aligned is slim. I get the feeling you are thinking of a different type of lock.

The chances of a key in a barrel being aligned is slim. I get the feeling you are thinking of a different type of lock.

It's worth a shot before paying for a lock smith who will try that before breaking the lock .

• Advertisement

This is the kind of lock I'm thinking of.
    cardiff-locksmith-BS1303-euro-cylinder.png
    Are you reckoning you can knock a key out of that barrel from the other side??

This is the kind of lock I'm thinking of.
    cardiff-locksmith-BS1303-euro-cylinder.png
    Are you reckoning you can knock a key out of that barrel from the other side??

Worth a try

In between the inside & outside key barrel is the rotating locking mechanism:confused: , I really don't understand how you just push the key out from the other side.:confused:
    Years ago when we had these on external doors
    Sash-Lock-3-Lever.jpg
    that was easily done. Come to think of it , back then you could just ask your neighbor for a loan of their key..;)

Ah I see . :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Ask ur neighbour for a metal coat hanger . Open it up and put it through the letterbox and either turn the key or pull the key out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

WIZE wrote: »
    Ask ur neighbour for a metal coat hanger . Open it up and put it through the letterbox and either turn the key or pull the key out

Actually i guess you got in after 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

Cheers all
    Got it sorted, after about 2 hours though.
    Lucky I had a view of the internal lever, so

Piece of flex, length a conduct, and flexible arms finally opened it.

Thanks for the update. Glad you got sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement