Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Problem

Options
  • 18-07-2012 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I got UPC broadband in the house on Monday. They gave us a Cisco Modem and this replaced the BTVoyager from our Vodafone package.

All laptops, consoles etc are having no problem whatsoever connecting to the new modem buy My Laptop (only one which is XP and not Windows 7 I might add) will not connect.

My laptop sees the UPC connection, I enter the code and it just never finishes "acquiring Network address".

As a test, I used an Ethernet cable to see if I wired connection made a difference and it did not.

As a final test, I reconnected to our BtVoyager modem and I found I could with no problems (but obviously can't access the net that way anymore).

I probably haven't given enough information to help, a little worried UPC's attitude will be "well if its working for every other computer in the house..." so thought I would ask here first.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

reboot your laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 26,352 ✭✭✭✭noodler

nbar12 wrote: »
    reboot your laptop

Do you mean simply restart it?

If so, I have done that a couple of times.

I even did a system restore from a week ago just to try but no luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

noodler wrote: »

I even did a system restore from a week ago just to try but no luck.

you're f*cked now so

nbar12 wrote: »
    you're f*cked now so

??

I think I'll wait and see if anyone else has some advice before admitting "Im fcuked!".

Cheers though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Try updating your laptop's wireless card drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

Have you DHCP enabled on the laptop that won't connect?

The lads in the IT department in my lab set me up with a static address in here which causes problems at home unless I re-enable DCHP at home again.

Alun wrote: »
    Have you DHCP enabled on the laptop that won't connect?

The lads in the IT department in my lab set me up with a static address in here which causes problems at home unless I re-enable DCHP at home again.

Not entirely sure about either. But will google them when I get home and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

Alun wrote: »

Thank you very much Alun.

I downloaded my wireless card's latest drivers onto another laptop and then transferred them to my laptop and now I can connect to the UPC laptop.

1) Can't believe my bloody drivers didn't auto update when I had a connection (website said driver update has been out years).

2) Would love to know what is so special about the Cisco modem that it wouldn't connect with the old driver.

Either way, its sorted now so thanks alot.

Could have been a slight compatibility issue between the chipset in the UPC router and your wireless adapter. I'm aware of some routers which won't work with the default drivers of some HP and Compaq laptops with Atheros wireless cards, requiring a driver update..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It could also be down to the old modem being set up to use WEP security by default, and the new one WPA. I've come across a few older drivers, especially under XP, where WPA wasn't implemented at all, or was implemented and plain didn't work, but WEP did.

Not all driver updates are available through Windows Update, and even if they are, they don't update automatically. You usually have to select to install them manually. The default is just to install important security related updates.

Anyway, glad it all works now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement