Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Age are you and when was the last time you were in Church

• 18-07-2012 9:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

As the title suggests what age are you and when was the last time you went to church.

Trying to calculate how long the Catholic Church has left in Ireland, Surely people of the younger generations don't go anymore.

I'd say once the old folk die off the Catholic Church's game is up.

try not to include crissenings, marraige's etc, this is strictly a Sunday mass type questions

what age are you now
    what age were you when last at mass / Sunday church

I'll start

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'd.....rather not talk about it......

Wait wait wait wait....you're twenty nine? Twenty nine....Jaysus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

ohh and 32 now .. clearly ..
    13 .. or there abouts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    As the title suggests what age are you and when was the last time you went to church.

Trying to calculate how long the Catholic Church has left in Ireland, Surely people of the younger generations don't go anymore.

try not to include crissenings, marraige's etc, this is strictly a Sunday mass type questions

what age are you now

I'll start

18 and 18(three days ago to be exact).

Not a Catholic though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'd.....rather not talk about it......

Wait wait wait wait....you're twenty nine? Twenty nine....Jaysus.

yep - but I still feel 14 :rolleyes:
    body feels like 40 tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

26 (midnight mass with parents at Christmas).

If I was to count weddings, funerals etc I'd be at some sort of mass every couple of months. Don't take communion though and tend to ignore the long winded prayers and kneeling bits.
    I do find no matter how hard I try, the prayers are stuck in my head and I'll be saying them in my head, if that makes sense? Damn you church indoctrination. *shakes fist*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I can't go near churches, I tend to burst into flames as I get near the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Can't remember the last time I went to Sunday Mass (probably 18/19) but I'd go to Christmas Mass just as a family tradition every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

13 .. or there abouts..

You're a bit young to be on here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

and excluding funerals, the last time i was in a church was about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Roadend wrote: »
    You're a bit young to be on here

That's what i said last night ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I'm 23 and I was last at Mass on Sunday. And yeah I go every week without fail. One of the last 'young' people who still goes I suppose!

Grandmother's funeral 8 years ago.
    Then I accidentally got myself roped into attending one of her anniversary masses 4 years ago.

Before my grandmother's funeral? I can't remember, probably a school mass when I was about 16 or 17.

No wait, it was a memorial mass for an aunt who died and had her funeral in Alaska.

Basically I could count on one hand the amount of times I've darkened a church door since I left school. (I'm 31).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I never liked it, missed it whenever I could, had no interest in any of it. But I think I was 12/13 when it struck me just how weird the whole thing was. I had possibly read about a cult or something and then in mass it hit me like a smack in the face and I looked around at everyone kneeling and mumbling in unison and I says "Da Fcuk am I doing here !" started to refuse to go at that stage. So I'm 29 now that was 29-13 = long time ago.

Been to the usual do's since with the small bits of mass in em and I always find it strange that other dont see it for just how dumb and creepy it actually is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Stiffler2.

Sounds like a second rate Mass Debater. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Well over 30 years ago since I attended a Mass service on my own accord.

26, stopped when 12 as i stopped believing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

29 and I haven't been to a normal "Sunday" Mass since I was 16 or 17. Even before that from about 13 on if at all possible I would skip it. E.g. tell my parents I was going to the Saturday evening / Sunday morning mass that they couldn't go to and instead go meet friends.

The only annoying thing was the questions from my parents to try and make sure you went. Who was doing alter boy? What was the sermon / gospel? etc. In order to answer them you turn, check out who's there and grab a mass booklet to check the gospel and get out as quick as possible

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

20 Years Old.

I don't think I've ever gone to mass of my own accord, the only times I've gone are when I've had to with School or to a funeral or something.

Even including funerals and the like it's been about 3 years since I went to mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

30-- and 27
    1 more generation and the church is busted in this country..and about time !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'm 26. I go to churches for weddings and funerals.

Last time was a funeral around 3-4 years ago. I'm going to a wedding next month, so that'll be the next time.

Last time I went to a regular mass was probably when I was around 16/17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'm 22, been in mass a few times in the last few years for the grandparents dying. General Sunday mass? I think the last time was when I was 10 or 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

33 and the last time I was at 'mass' willingly was last year, however they were Unitarian services as I refuse to go Catholic Services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm 38 now, last time i was at mass i was probably 12 or 13, haven't been since my confirmation so whatever age you make that at!
    I've been in church a good few times since, for weddings and funerals and so on, but actuall mass mass i'm touching a quarter century.
    Must be getting old!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Can't remember... probably around 18, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Mugatuu

I'm 19, stopped believing when I was about 15 stopped going at 16! Last time I was in a church was about three years ago for my grandmothers funeral!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

33 now. Was there for a wedding last week but don't think I've been at mass as a stand-alone event in 15 or so years.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CarrieAnne

41 and Sunday - as I am a practising Catholic.

Each to their own, if you don't want to go, don't.

I exepct the Church will survive grand without those who don't believe, there was many a upset along the 2,000 year way already.... AND for the record, the Church is the people, not Rome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm 24 and was at my grandmother's month's mind last month. Before that was her funeral. Before that....probably a wedding or something in the last few years. Not much a church goer, even managed to get the mother to cancel the previously mandatory attendance on Xmas Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm 30 now. Haven't been in Church since 2010, I was 28.

I miss riding her.

Sincerely,

G. Henson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Funeral yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

what age are you now

I'll start

Is this Jesus??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

21 and 21. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

abou 15 years ago ( im only young as well )
    never been to a sunday mass
    me nanny made me go ha
    never been their since, dont plan on it either
    but im a die hard catholic fo sho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

33 & 33!
    Was at a communion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

28 and 28. Was at mass 2 Sundays ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Ciannor

what age are you now

I'll start

that is what I told a friend of mine a while ago as well. I know pretty much everyone of my age in my hometown but I can only think of 1 girl that is really religious. Me personally I don't think I have ever been to the church for other reasons than weddings, funerals etc. But yeah im not religious either so why would I :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Go to mass ever cristmas every year to keep Parents happy.

A proper sunday mass. Has to be 5 years ago i would say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

24 years old now
    12 was the last time

so, how long have they got left?? what's the verdict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm 39 and haven't been to a regular Sunday Mass since I was 14. I've been to the usual weddings, funerals and baptisms, though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Bless me father for I have sinned...
    It's been 31 years since my last confession

Outside of anniversary masses, weddings and funerals I never go to mass. When I have to go I never eat the Jesus crackers.
    I'm 44 and I reckon I haven't gone to a Sunday mass since I was around 20.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Well the results so far aren't too shocking, it is what is expected.

I am surprised though to see a few young people still attending on Sundays, although very few

I wonder how long they have left

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I dont go to mass... If there is God, He will be the judge of all, going to Mass does not automatically gives you a rights for a place in Heaven.. I believe, God will look in everybody heart, Whether he/she had done a good deeds all his life. Whether you are a Catholic, Muslim, Protestant or any religions does not matter, just do your good deeds all your life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Im 41 and the last time I went to mass as a practicing catholic was aged 19. I dont count attending friends weddings, funerals, family events etc. Since this i have formally defected via countemeout.ie whilst we still could!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Well the results so far aren't too shocking, it is what is expected.

I am surprised though to see a few young people still attending on Sundays, although very few

I wonder how long they have left

How do you mean? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

20 and it's been 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

CarrieAnne wrote: »
    41 and Sunday - as I am a practising Catholic.

Each to their own, if you don't want to go, don't.

I exepct the Church will survive grand without those who don't believe, there was many a upset along the 2,000 year way already.... AND for the record, the Church is the people, not Rome.

57 and last Sunday I attend every week and even sometimes during the week I am in no way a Holy Willie but I feel better for it.
    Totally agree with your point about the church being the people

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

20, and I was at mass last weekend. I'm an organist :P If I wasn't, I probably wouldn't have been at a regular sunday mass since I was 17/18 or so.
    I dont go to mass... If there is God, He will be the judge of all, going to Mass does not automatically gives you a rights for a place in Heaven.. I believe, God will look in everybody heart, Whether he/she had done a good deeds all his life. Whether you are a Catholic, Muslim, Protestant or any religions does not matter, just do your good deeds all your life.

A nice concept, but the Catholic church teaches that salvation (ie going to heaven) is only possible through Christ. So even if you're a complete saint, you don't get to heaven unless you believe. Allegedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kwack

Im 29 haven't been since I was about 12ish? Don't know anyone under 50 that goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Mass on Monday (was in a Church yesterday, just couldn't make Mass)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

19, and excluding funerals , marriges , christmas and memorials the last time probably I went to a proper sunday mass was maybe aged 8 /7 ? and even at that it was cos the mother said "I wouldn't be allowed make my comunion if I didn't " :rolleyes:. Jesus I was gullable :P

But yeah it's been so long I honestly don't remember !

• Advertisement
Advertisement