Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Age are you and when was the last time you were in Church

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I'm 22. The last time I went to mass was a few months ago, in Knock of all places :p

I'm atheist. I never really placed much emphasis on religion/faith, even when I was younger. I can't remember actually ever believing that anything said in mass actually happened, I just thought of them as stories. My parents would be quite religious though, so when I was younger we'd go every Sunday. It's funny, although I rarely go to mass now, I quite enjoy it :o I like the singing, and listening to the stories. The priest in the parish at home doesn't really preach much, his homily talks are usually about philosophy and theological theories which I find can be quite interesting.

Today, actually. I visited St Audoens and Christchurch with my other half. We did the touristy thing today for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Midlife Crashes

Last went to mass last Sunday. Not forced to go, choose to do so. Many of my friends are also Catholics and regularly attend mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Im 20, and I go to mass about twice a year for Weddings/christenings/anniversaries. Other than that I dont know when the last time Ive actually went to mass for no other reason. Probably at least 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yup, I'm 23, haven't went to church since I was about 9, then moved to Ireland (from scotland). I remember being shocked at the grip that the church has on this country, from having the local priest pop in to school every fortnight to friends getting detention for refusing to participate in a school mass. All very archaic. Most people I know stopped going at around 15, quite a late age imo, but when it's ingrained into you at such an early age then you can't blame 'em.

Interesting topic though, I can honestly say I don't know one person under the age of about 35 who goes to church.

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

29 and weekly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

31 and whatever age I was when I made my confirmation - eleven?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I think it was for my granny's month's mind last winter, and it was more because I wanted to visit her grave (beside the church) than anything else. Couldn't be bothered going at all now, only for 'occassions'.

The next time will probably be for my friends' kid's Christening, which I find hilarious. Both parents are non-religious, have no intention of bringing the kid up Catholic ( in the true sense of the world, i.e. praying every day, ten commandments, yada yada) and have asked my boyfriend (who's agnostic, at best) to be godfather... I think they're only doing it for the grandparents' sake and to get the kid into the local school in few years.

Oh and for the traditional Irish reason, a giant piss-up... and the cycle continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I'm 29 and the last time I attended properly I was 14.

However, I have to attend the odd mass as part of my job. I don't say the prayers, bless myself, stand/kneel or take communion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Last time I was in a church was for my granddad's funeral back in 2007 when I was 18. Left as soon as I could after the service as I was late for a Motorhead gig.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Leftist wrote: »

religious people think they're good people because they are conditioned to think that going to a church makes them good. I find that ridiculous. half of the people at the mass are thinking about something else.

I think that comment is a bit unfair. Ever heard of Catholic guilt? I certainly don't think I'm better because I go to Mass and most other practicing Catholics I know who genuinely believe in Catholicism are the same. In fact most would think they're weak people who need help from God in order to live a good life. There is a lot of emphasis on sins and original sin and the implication is that we are fallible and need to be saved. Catholic belief teaches that going to Mass helps people save their soul. The soul wouldn't need saving if the person were already good. I'm sure a lot of people's thoughts wander, including my own, but I find it hard to believe people think that just going through the motions makes them good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm 23 and I have no idea when the last time I was in a church was. Absolutely no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

im 29 and the last time i was at mass was for my confirmation when i was 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

28, last time I was there was at Easter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

34.. November. funeral service...

Then about 10yrs prior for the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

29 and last willingly went to mass at around age 14. Have had to go since for funerals, weddings and christenings but I'm not a believer so I don't take communion.

I just sit there singing songs in my head and cursing the people whose fault it is that I'm in mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I'm 18. Last time I was at mass was in April for a friend's funeral. Before that it was Christmas. My parents go every Sunday but they stopped making me go when I was 15/16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

27 and a few weeks ago.

I went to a Unitarian church to check out what their attitude was. Pretty accepting from what I could see, no scary preaching, a lot of discussing what people wanted to talk about, a sermon about understanding and tolerance. Not like any other "mass" I've been to. I'd go back, but 10am Sunday morning isn't my best time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Sadly, I broke a 6-year stint of not going near a church when I had to go to my sister's wedding 2 months ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Other than a wedding a while back, it was Christmas Eve for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

My mum is a catholic and my dad is a protestant so they decided to get my baptised for convenience and let me choose my own religion, I choose atheism. Cant remember the last non wedding or funeral related mass I went to and Im 19 now. Used to be forced to go on christmas for my grandparents but now I'm left alone.
    Never did my communion or confirmation. Felt like 6th class was the biggest waste of a year in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

My mum is a catholic and my dad is a protestant so they decided to get my baptised for convenience and let me choose my own religion, I choose atheism. Cant remember the last non wedding or funeral related mass I went to and Im 19 now. Used to be forced to go on christmas for my grandparents but now I'm left alone.
    Never did my communion or confirmation. Felt like 6th class was the biggest waste of a year in my life.

Fight the (rapidly decreasing) power, young man :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Its an interesting question you pose OP, how long does the RCC have left in Ireland?

One piece of advice though, you'd be better served conducting you're research elsewhere. As has been proven in the past, boards.ie is not a reliable barometer of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Last week - 23, not a Roman Catholic mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

28, last went to a normal Sunday mass the weekend before my confirmation, at age 11. Parents gave us the choice after that, I chose an extra hour in bed, as I knew even at that age that it was all a load of codswallop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

age 59

I go to mass every day. (is it my generation you are waiting for to die off?:D)

Advertisement