Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your most hated profession?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Have to say that some barmen can be fairly obnoxious.
    You would honestly swear that we were asking them to give us drink for nothing sometimes.

you ordered a water, didn't you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Sweet!12 pages and my job hasnt come up

well are you gonna share this occupation with us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

nbar12 wrote: »
    you ordered a water, didn't you

Ya, Some seem to really not like it when I say chop chop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

That seems to be your own definition of professional. It excludes anybody with a degree up to PHD who hasn't done a course after college, but not some one with a mickey mouse post graduate assessment exam.

Seems to be an Irish thing to get the usual suspects - the law, accountancy into the "professional" rank while excluding real work like engineering. It might even exclude GPs. Each to their own, I suppose, but its a dumb definition, and your own.

Not exactly, call me archaic if you will but I prefer proper and accurate definitions not just any tom dick and harry thinking they can call themselves whatever they please.

Still don't understand your argument. Basically you are saying someone with an engineering degree isn't an engineer unless he does a post-graduate mickey mouse course. I think it's something to do with the fact that the cartel rote-learning professions in Ireland control their inputs with post graduate training and apprentice program's for their little in group mob of the not very smarts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

the shop assistant that asked me for proof of age TO DO THE LOTTO. :mad: (I'm 21)

The Garage staff who asked me for ID before they would let me put petrol in my car, because you have to be 16! After seeing me drive up in the car - you have to be at least 17!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Have to with Estate Agents for me.

Seen so many places when looking in Dublin, rooms in the sunlight deprived basements of building blocks, old granny apartments that stink of piss, lets with paper thin walls, single glazed glass, furniture from the 70s. And yet the estate agent is standing there with a smiling poker face saying what a lovely location it is in and how they've had so many calls about the place. In reality squatters wouldn't even live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

Marketeers, Marketers or whatever they call themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Anyone who works for a company with ".... solutions' at the end of the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

DylanII wrote: »
    The Garage staff who asked me for ID before they would let me put petrol in my car, because you have to be 16! After seeing me drive up in the car - you have to be at least 17!

Really?? I always filled up the car while my mum queued to pay since age 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Really?? I always filled up the car while my mum queued to pay since age 10

Yes really. He was only a new guy. He was making everyone go in before they filled up. I went in to pay he made me go back out and get my I'd come back in and pay then go back out to fill up.

I would have just went somewhere else but I was on empty. Don't go there any more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

DylanII wrote: »

my mate got asked for ID in Xtravision for an 18 movie, she didnt have it and want allowed rent the move haha...she's 22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

"All professions are conspiracies against the laity"

-Jonathan Swift

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Council "workers". Overpaid layabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Council "workers". Overpaid layabouts.

the thread is about professions dear boy!, professions

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Advertising/Film makers are the Lowest next Tabloid Staff then the Legal Profession all three carry an all pervading miasma and even thinking about them makes me feel defiled .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Smarmy sales people. I'd be more likely to listen to them if they did away with all the fake, transparent crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

Still don't understand your argument. Basically you are saying someone with an engineering degree isn't an engineer unless he does a post-graduate mickey mouse course. I think it's something to do with the fact that the cartel rote-learning professions in Ireland control their inputs with post graduate training and apprentice program's for their little in group mob of the not very smarts.

I'm not making an argument I thought that was your position?
    I don't see where you got this "Basically you are saying someone with an engineering degree isn't an engineer unless he does a post-graduate mickey mouse course." from. An engineer is an engineer, what's the problem?

As for the rote learning professions you mention? Care to mention one? and what's your problem with rote learning? I'd associate rote learning with the leaving certificate and IT workers more so than any other job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

estate agents - pure unadulterated vermin

followed by

taxi drivers

then anyone in politics .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭palmcut

HSE administrators.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

No profession pisses me off to be honest. Theres obviously an asshole or two in every profession but that doesn't mean I'll paint them all with the same brush because of one or two bad experiences.

I don't get why bouncers are labeled as assholes either. I've been refused entry before and honestly they were right because I was too drunk. In the vast majority of cases their reason for refusing entry/kicking someone out is totally justified IMO. They make clubs and pubs a better experience for other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Paparazzi, people who write gossip columns and basically make their money writing about or picking apart the looks/actions of celebrities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Taxi drivers. Bleedin' salt of the earth. Opinions Opinions Opinions. I would gladly pay an extra euro if only they kept their bleedin mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

As a ginger banker and qualified barrister ... I apologise for my hair colour.

As for my most hated profession - career politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Critics! F*cking can't stand them.

Their job essentially is to critique things they're clearly unable to do themselves, which really is pathetic. Especially film critics.

Yea, I hate them as well, especially that fool George Byrne. All smug and smarmy when he's on Newstalk with Tom Dunne licking his ass agreeing with everything he says. The fool works for the Herald. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

People that run those scam marketing business either telesales or door to door marketing , they pray on the minds of their staff to make them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Landlords

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Teachers - they expect us to scrape and bow before them , overpaid and underworked , impossible to sack and use the '' won't someone think of the children '' argument every time they look for more money.

I can't think of a more self-serving bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

External Government advisors/consultants.

Who knows what they do and often get ridiculous payoffs and bonuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Delancey wrote: »
    Teachers - they expect us to scrape and bow before them , overpaid and underworked , impossible to sack and use the '' won't someone think of the children '' argument every time they look for more money.

I can't think of a more self-serving bunch.

Disagree, it's not exactly a barrel of laughs having to deal with 30-40 immature kids every day.

I can remember myself what some of our secondary school teachers had to put up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I can't believe nobody has mentioned taxi drivers, politicians, bankers, estate agents etc yet.

Advertisement