Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Garda Headquarters building to be built

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    So how are costs cut then?

From operating expenses. Yawn. Capex is sometimes needed to make this even possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Final demolition of the existing building underway today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Is there an "artists impression" of the NEW building out there in the ether?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

cops_donuts-742483.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

I noticed the place had finally al but come down when I went past on the bus into town today. Wish I'd been more together with a camera but was in the middle of a conversation. Think somebody was bringing something out through the bushes at the side of the roundabout which caught my eye then I saw that the building was down with the exception of one wall/ chimneystack or something.
    Thought it odd that it had taken the 4 months or whatever it's been since there last seemed to be any activity with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

There's a site notice up now, so construction should be starting soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Some work seems to have started on this.
    The walls around the site have been knocked and some prefabs have been installed on the site.
    As a result some of the road lanes around it and on the roundabout are closed.

dloob wrote: »
    Some work seems to have started on this.
    The walls around the site have been knocked and some prefabs have been installed on the site.
    As a result some of the road lanes around it and on the roundabout are closed.
    The signs up on the perimeter are SIAC construction but I haven't heard if they won the tendering process. Afaik tendering process isn't finished

• Registered Users Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

D Trent wrote: »
    The signs up on the perimeter are SIAC construction but I haven't heard if they won the tendering process. Afaik tendering process isn't finished

Just went past this. Serious amount of digging going on, and indeed a RAB entry lane closed.

I guess GMIT's opening week was the best to start :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Just went past this. Serious amount of digging going on, and indeed a RAB entry lane closed.

I guess GMIT's opening week was the best to start :(

the trench at the front is for the holding cells afaik

Really?
    Because they are putting the cells in the basement I just think it's v near the road
    Where did you hear?
    Does anyone know where you can view plans of the building

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

LOL:D:D

Mystery solved.
    It's not construction of the HQ yet, it's the moving of a sewer on the site.
    Tenders for the HQ itself are not completed yet, as D Trent mentioned.

http://connachttribune.ie/work-on-site-of-new-city-garda-hq/

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Stevolende

Seems to be creating some hassle with the bus stop. I think the bus I was on stopped, let a load of people off the bus, possibly some on, then had to move forward to allow a coach to get past the work area.
    Seems a really inconvenient place to have it, just past the roundabout. But I guess that's where the site was available so it follows that there is inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Stevolende wrote: »
    Seems to be creating some hassle with the bus stop. I think the bus I was on stopped, let a load of people off the bus, possibly some on, then had to move forward to allow a coach to get past the work area.
    Seems a really inconvenient place to have it, just past the roundabout. But I guess that's where the site was available so it follows that there is inconvenience.

Yeah another bit of genius council planning having this work carrying on at the start of GMIT term when that bus stop is at its busiest, unlike the summer when disruption would have been minimised

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Webbs wrote: »
    Yeah another bit of genius council planning having this work carrying on at the start of GMIT term when that bus stop is at its busiest, unlike the summer when disruption would have been minimised
    That makes no sense. Dublin Road is busy year round. The common sense approach would have been to create an entrance from the Lurgan Park side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

snubbleste wrote: »
    That makes no sense. Dublin Road is busy year round. The common sense approach would have been to create an entrance from the Lurgan Park side.

The work going on at the moment is moving a sewer so was always going to disrupt the Dublin road no matter what.
    Its just that bus stop is much quieter out of term time as buses stop there less frequently and for shorter time hence less disruption.

Funds allocated for new station in Budget 2015.
    Construction to last 3yrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

D Trent wrote: »
    Funds allocated for new station in Budget 2015.
    Construction to last 3yrs

How's it going to take 3 yrs?

The contract has finally been signed so there should be some movement in the next few weeks.

http://connachttribune.ie/contract-awarded-for-construction-of-new-garda-headquarters-in-renmore/
    Galway Bay fm newsroom – The contract for the construction of a new Garda headquarters in the city has been officially awarded.
    JJ Rhatigan and Company had been previously identified as the preferred bidder for the development, but the contract for the 15 million euro development was finally signed at the weekend.

Massive new Garda headquarters set for Galway
    http://jrnl.ie/2393321

Holy jaysus it'll be a lot bigger than I thought .....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

You could probably get 100 new cops for Galway for years for the same price.

You could probably get 100 new cops for Galway for years for the same price.
    Five years or so according to my quick sums (not including cost of pension)

You wouldn't have anywhere to put them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Five years or so according to my quick sums (not including cost of pension)

Exactly... For smaller cities in the UK they are a similar size. Together with the traffic corps in oranmore, the city should be well served into the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Revolutionary concept here, hold on to your seats: put them on the streets fighting crime?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Revolutionary concept here, hold on to your seats: put them on the streets fighting crime?
    :D

Ya and they can carry their paperwork and evidence with them in little old lady shopping trolleys.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A look at the pictures there seems quite limited on parking spaces, employees private cars plus official vehicles would be hard to accommodate I think.

• Advertisement

A look at the pictures there seems quite limited on parking spaces, employees private cars plus official vehicles would be hard to accommodate I think.

Underground car park bro

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement