Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adequate Salary for normal-easy living Galway county

Options
  • 18-07-2012 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

in another thread i mentioned that i'll be relocating in Galway on August.

I was wondering what would be an adequate salary to make a normal - easy living, and not living from paycheck to paycheck.

One basic parameter is that i will be paying rent, other than that nothing special.

I would prefer any estimations be done in a monthly basis in net values.

Any answer is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

What a bizarre request!

You should do your research into rents and other costs and then decide for yourself what you can afford to live on. We can't tell you. :confused:

Or employ a trained financial adviser if you really can't figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 GeorgeT

Das Kitty wrote: »
    What a bizarre request!

You should do your research into rents and other costs and then decide for yourself what you can afford to live on. We can't tell you. :confused:

Or employ a trained financial adviser if you really can't figure it out.

I did a research, but i want to get a feel of what people already living in Galway think.

To be more exact, 2000 euro per month net with a rent around 600 would be enough ? or i'll be struggling to survive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, that's almost impossible to say but you can try searching for "cost of living" and Galway.
    You'll find results like www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/
    www.nuigalway.ie/international/beforearrive/cost_of_living.html
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248446
    www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=90251

EDIT
    GeorgeT wrote: »
    I did a research, but i want to get a feel of what people already living in Galway think.
    To be more exact, 2000 euro per month net with a rent around 600 would be enough ? or i'll be struggling to survive ?
    You'll be fine with that. It won't be easy living but it won't be hard either.

biko wrote: »
    OP, that's almost impossible to say but you can try searching for "cost of living" and Galway.
    You'll find results like www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/
    www.nuigalway.ie/international/beforearrive/cost_of_living.html
    www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=248446
    www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=90251

Thank you I've seen that.

The purpose of this question is targetting personal opinion.

Could you live with 2000 euros per month ? That's the point.

For example if anyone asked me about Greece, and 2000 euro per month.

I'd say if you were to relocate to Athens(capitol), 2000 euro would just be ok assuming you have rent and a car.

If you were to relocate to Thessaloniki(second largest city) it would be more than enough.

So if anyone thinks he/she can make an estimate it would be great.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

2000 pm net?

Well unless you have particularly expensive taste you'll be fine.

I earn about that net and I feel that I live very well. I live in a nice house in a good area, run a car, support a child and go on holidays without feeling the pinch.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    2000 pm net?

Well unless you have particularly expensive taste you'll be fine.

I earn about that net and I feel that I live very well. I live in a nice house in a good area, run a car, support a child and go on holidays without feeling the pinch.

Yes net.
    Thank you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gracie_S203

I'm not trying to butt into this and I'm sorry if I am but I don't know how to post my own thread!!!....I'm probably all going well with an interview be moving to ClareGalway soon and was wondering if with a house share i could get by on a 20k salary...i have a small car but wouldn't be using it much during the week and i don't go out every weekend as i want to save a little bit also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Since none of you guys have mentioned if ye're single or have a family, I'll presume you don't. €2k per month is fine. Plenty of free event's, and between that and 'living social' you should not have to scrimp on quality of life. It rains heaps here though, so factor that in (taxi's instead of walking???)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gracie_S203

No family just lil old me..i will have approx €1580 after tax...should that be ok?

Advertisement