Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old house on Fairview Strand

Options
  • 18-07-2012 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

There is a very small 2-storey house on Fairview Strand, just to the right of The Strand off-licence. It looks very old and unlived in, although there is a house alarm, religious paraphernalia in the windows and sometimes the windows are open. There is a plaque above the front door that says "Built in the year 5618" :confused:

Does anyone know anything about this house? I pass it on the bus every day and I'm always curious about it. Does it has any historical significance? Is it really from the future? :D

Edit: Here it is on google maps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

There is a small plot of land behind it
    It's a Jewish cemetery and that's the chapel. Chapel is probably the wrong word, I don't know what the Jewish equivalent is

5618 is a date in Hebrew but I don't know what our version is, probably sometime in the 19th century

This area was once outside the city and an awful place, Baile Bocht, poor town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

It was built in 1857 by the Gregorian calendar.

Great links
    Marino Crescent, built in 1792, is said to have been erected by one Ffolliott, a painter of Aungier Street, who, having some disagreement with Lord Charlemont, built this row of houses in order effectually to shut out the view of the sea from Marino House.
    Nasty! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Every now and then this forum throws up a gem, this is one IMO.
    I was in this cemetery many years ago with a friend who was writing a journal on Irish Jew's.

At the time the care taker was an ex member of the Irish defence forces.

Does anyone know if its still open to visitors?.

• Advertisement

Two of the websites give a landline number to the caretaker, seems he has his own lodge on the same road

(01) 836 9756
    Cemeteries in Limerick, Cork, Dublin, Ballybough, Tel: (01) 836 9756, Dolphin's Barn and Woodlawn and Belfast. The Caretaker's Lodge (67 Fairview Strand, Dublin 3) at the Ballybough Cemetery is dated 5618 (1858).

Sure it's a landline, just call and ask some afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Wow really didn't think there'd be this much to it! Thanks for all the info, definitely looks like a place to check out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I live about 200 metres away and never even noticed this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

They're doing a talk on this place for heritage week this year, if you want to find out more.
    Diarmaid Hiney outlines the history of the Jewish Cemetery in Fairview, built in the year 5618 of the Jewish or Hebrew calendar.

http://www.heritageweek.ie//index.php/whats-on/event-search/#7370

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

While just around the corner theres a statue of a man that dealt in arms with the Nazi's, funny aul town!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

bassey wrote: »
    While just around the corner theres a statue of a man that dealt in arms with the Nazi's, funny aul town!

Is that still there? I thought he was beheaded

Sean Russell, the statue is repaired

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I always referred to that place as The Time Travel House because of the date on it. Never twigged that it was the Hebrew calendar.

Advertisement