Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 7950?????

Options
  • 18-07-2012 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Lads im looking at upgrading my 2x 6970`s to 2x 7970`s..

I dont need super dooper fans on them as will be going down the water cooling route later on..

I just need a pair of good quality cards...
    Well I will be getting one this month and another next month..

OOOPS the title should read 7970 not 7950

Any suggestions??? shopping at HWVS

Thanks
    Dwighet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

This one :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

how much one one of those set you back :O:O

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Listed on HWVS (picture is stock though) at €640. Which is a lot.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/62359/Sapphire+Toxic+Radeon+HD+7970%2C+6GB+GDDR5.article

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Not seen pricing yet but I would guess about €550-€600 going on the cost of a 680 4GB, nearest relevant competitor as cards with this much vram are only worth buying if you're going multi monitor.

Edit: did not see Skylineheads post first :D

Even if they can hit 1200mhz, that's silly money.

dwighet wrote: »
    Lads im looking at upgrading my 2x 6970`s to 2x 7970`s..

I dont need super dooper fans on them as will be going down the water cooling route later on..

I just need a pair of good quality cards...
    Well I will be getting one this month and another next month..

OOOPS the title should read 7970 not 7950

Any suggestions??? shopping at HWVS

Thanks
    Dwighet

Why not go for a pair of stock 7970's? Save you a few quid as the main difference with non reference is the after market coolers, which will be of no benefit to you if you are going for water cooling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Or get the GHz version :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

glynf wrote: »
    Why not go for a pair of stock 7970's? Save you a few quid as the main difference with non reference is the after market coolers, which will be of no benefit to you if you are going for water cooling.

What 7970`s are you using Glynf...
    Any hassles with them?
    Are they noisey?

Skylineheads suggestion is just silly for going xfire:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

7990?

Eboggles wrote: »
    7990?

are they out yet?

:)
    What 7970`s are you using Glynf...
    Any hassles with them?
    Are they noisey?

Skylineheads suggestion is just silly for going xfire:rolleyes:

hey dwighet,

I'm using two standard reference models, one MSI the other is a Sapphire.

No hassles with them hardware wise, but driver support for xfire & eyefinity was utter crap and I had nearly given up on em until 12.6/.7 betas came out-huge difference since-higher FPS and no more crashes/BSOD's-so happy days.

Had both cards stable at 1125clock /1500 mem for a while, but just don't need it so throttled back to 1055/1440 mem. Now temp wise, about 55-59 deg C idle/MS office/desktop programs at 5956 x 1080 (bezel comp). Gaming at 98%+ load in BF3, about 72-75 deg C max. I'm using stock coolers so anything over 50% fan speed is noticeable. They're barely audible now at 29% fan speed, I'm not bothered about fan noise when gaming-got a Xonar DX & corsair SP2500's lately so if the fans are pissing me off, I turn the vol up:D

Water cooling would be the way to go, I'm saving my shekels for a TJ11 (may be a while-cost of the feckin things) so I can give it a go.

Skylinehead is right though, the toxics would be ideal for xfire due to the 6GB Vram. The way eyefinity works even though you have a total of 6 GB (3+3GB) with two stock 7970's, its affectively only 3Gb as both are used in parallel.
    It's probably the only card around that can max BF3 with full AA at eyefinity resolutions.

• Advertisement

7990 looks like late July release, and there's talk of a 12GB version:cool:

:)

hey dwighet,

I'm using two standard reference models, one MSI the other is a Sapphire.

No hassles with them hardware wise, but driver support for xfire & eyefinity was utter crap and I had nearly given up on em until 12.6/.7 betas came out-huge difference since-higher FPS and no more crashes/BSOD's-so happy days.

Had both cards stable at 1125clock /1500 mem for a while, but just don't need it so throttled back to 1055/1440 mem. Now temp wise, about 55-59 deg C idle/MS office/desktop programs at 5956 x 1080 (bezel comp). Gaming at 98%+ load in BF3, about 72-75 deg C max. I'm using stock coolers so anything over 50% fan speed is noticeable. They're barely audible now at 29% fan speed, I'm not bothered about fan noise when gaming-got a Xonar DX & corsair SP2500's lately so if the fans are pissing me off, I turn the vol up:D

Water cooling would be the way to go, I'm saving my shekels for a TJ11 (may be a while-cost of the feckin things) so I can give it a go.

Skylinehead is right though, the toxics would be ideal for xfire due to the 6GB Vram. The way eyefinity works even though you have a total of 6 GB (3+3GB) with two stock 7970's, its affectively only 3Gb as both are used in parallel.
    It's probably the only card around that can max BF3 with full AA at eyefinity resolutions.

the reason Im wanting 2 cards is i have a 120 htz monitor(1080) and im currently playing bf3 at 120fps but only on Med settings and would like to go 120fps on ultra..
    I have no interest in multi screens just dont have the space for it but the 120htz and 120 fps is so smooth but am missing too much detail on med settings if you get my drift..

The 6+6 gig of ram would be nice from skylinehead suggestion but im sure there is no need for that much for a single 120htz monitor @ 1080 res..

What do you think mate?

Ahh..OK. You will be well covered with 2 stock 7970's. I'm running three 120hz Samsung SA950D's with two 7970's at 1055/1440 I'm getting 64-86fps (depending on map) with all on ultra except AA and something else turned down (can't remember offhand-and if I fire that f*cker up, the day is gone).

I'll fire it up later with one screen and let you know what fps I get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Motion Blur?

Ahh..OK. You will be well covered with 2 stock 7970's. I'm running three 120hz Samsung SA950D's with two 7970's at 1055/1440 I'm getting 64-86fps (depending on map) with all on ultra except AA and something else turned down (can't remember offhand-and if I fire that f*cker up, the day is gone).

That would be great if you could do that for me...
    Would like to see what ya get on one screen...cheers

Motion Blur?

I like motion blur enabled...
    Im a fussy fooker..:cool:

Ok, so I have attached two lots of screenshots, one called 'high' the other 'ultra' with screen shots of the BF3 graphics settings page and in game screens with fps shown on same by afterburner.

'High'
    I kept motion blur on and AF at x16 with HBAO on for high, most other settings high /ultra got a steady low 80 fps minimum.

Hisettings.jpg

Hi2.jpg

Hi1.jpg

'Ultra'

For the ultra/custom AA off & AF to x1, all else maxed average fps was about 105-110. forgot to turn motion blur on.

ultrasettings.jpg

ultra3.jpg

ultra2.jpg

ultra1.jpg

CPU is on Asus auto over clock @ 4.3 since I flashed BIOS last week (I know, lazy bastard:D), GPU's at max officially allowed by Afterburner at 1125/1575. Temps about 75 deg C average, 3 no. 180mm case fans on high as well.

clocks.png

I think 120 fps is easily do-able if you flute about a bit with game settings and unlock your 7970's to go over the 1125 by tweaking the config file in the Afterburner folder. If your CPU is under water as I expect that's the bottleneck on mine.

This is a bit of a rush job as I have family staying for a few days, what ever I did to deserve it... If you have specific settings you want post a screenshot & I will re do tomorrow/Friday.

Edit: sry for crap pics not sure what's up, uploaded full size to photobucket? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Jesus good christ!

Can I come over to your house please?

Jesus good christ!

Can I come over to your house please?

No probs. but beware the entrance fee for all visitors is a to bring food, wine or shiny things of the shop. :)

Mate you have gone beyond the call of duty..Well done sir.
    Thanks for the effort..

So it looks like Im going to have to dust off the credit card and get a few 7970`s.

That config with afterburner sounds like fun...I will be in touch for a bit of info about it when the time arises..

Cheers.

• Advertisement

Mate you have gone beyond the call of duty..Well done sir.
    Thanks for the effort..

So it looks like Im going to have to dust off the credit card and get a few 7970`s.

That config with afterburner sounds like fun...I will be in touch for a bit of info about it when the time arises..

Cheers.

No probs dwighet, I'll be looking for WC advice in a few months!

BTW down to €419 now.

No probs dwighet, I'll be looking for WC advice in a few months!

BTW down to €419 now.

The prices are getting better and better.
    I struck a good deal with a mate of mine...His 7970(msi) for my two 6970`s and a super flower flower 780 watt psu....

The water cooling wont be for a few months as Im also getting a new sound card and 5.1 system so the fun fund will be very low..

Thanks again

Advertisement