Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People on Street Collecting for Concern/Trocaire etc...

• 18-07-2012 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

When these guys approach you with their fake good humour and clipboards how do you react? Avoid eye contact and bull on past? Smile weakly and claim you're in a hurry? I've always been tempted to roar at them for making me feel bad about going about my everyday busines but haven't sumoned the courage yet.

Or has anyone actrually ever done the job? Or does anyone actually stop and give them money? They're always so bright and cheerful but I bet they must be dying on the inside.:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I do be honest "I'm on the dole, I have to save up two weeks money to buy the latest Xbox games. You aren't getting it, now **** off".

Unless a girl tries to hug me, then I scream "sexual assault" and that works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's about time we had another of these threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

When these guys approach you with their fake good humour and clipboards how do you react? Avoid eye contact and bull on past? Smile weakly and claim you're in a hurry? I've always been tempted to roar at them for making me feel bad about going about my everyday busines but haven't sumoned the courage yet.

Or has anyone actrually ever done the job? Or does anyone actually stop and give them money? They're always so bright and cheerful but I bet they must be dying on the inside.:pac:

I politely decline to engage with them. I feel that they are only doing their job. But if they persist, then I tell them to piss off.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

If it's a girl, i usually turn on the charm, and go on the offensive, asking her for her number, if she has a fella, maybe wants to go for a drink, etc ... they usually get to embarrassed and feck of..

• Advertisement

If it's a girl, i usually turn on the charm, and go on the offensive, asking her for her number, if she has a fella, maybe wants to go for a drink, etc ... they usually get to embarrassed and feck of..

So in other words you're not a charmer and they turn you down?

So in other words you're not a charmer and they turn you down?

The intention is not to actually charm them, but to overload them with charm, so they feck off ...

The intention is not to actually charm them, but to overload them with charm, so they feck off ...

I'm sure that's the intention but the reality is you're not a charmer and they're trying to run away from the scary man :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

just sticky a chugger thread please! :P

• Advertisement

I'm sure that's the intention but the reality is you're not a charmer and they're trying to run away from the scary man :pac:

I didnt realise you knew me so well BD

Kev_2012 wrote: »

No YT in work brah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

I didnt realise you knew me so well BD

No YT in work brah

I assumed it's the same thing that happens to me when I charm them.

And it was the video from Simpsons with drink being banned and the women go into Moe's and Wiggum turns on the "old Wiggum charm" and gets called pervert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

Hey, It may have very recently changed, but definitely Trocaire had a policy of not doing street sign ups, Im only mentioning this as Trocaire is mentioned in the thread title

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

they never come near me because i look like a scum bag :) 1 up for scum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I like the idea of ways to creep them out as turnabout is only fair play, but Ive told a few I detest the method and to pass that on to their organisations. Its a lot of pressure on older people too as they come on so strong

Ditto for 'bag packers' by the way. I know theyre raising money usually for local clubs etc but I pick and choose my patronage and wont be held to ransom by bored looking kids and perky fat arsed mummies. And they're always **** at packing bags....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

I'm goin from work to get lunch, and clipboard-wielding fella catches my eye, sort of half blocks my path and lays on the charm.

Gotta hand it to him, he was taught well. How on earth do they maintain such a charm offensive for 8 hours or however long they're out collecting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

missyb wrote: »
    Hey, It may have very recently changed, but definitely Trocaire had a policy of not doing street sign ups, Im only mentioning this as Trocaire is mentioned in the thread title

They were all over Henry Street yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I never really know what they did on the street, thought they just told you about the poor starving kids and you could give them some coins and be off..
    So I stopped one day and listened to her rabbit on about the poor starving kids and would I sign up my support and make monthly donations. I started hesitating then and said, sure give me the form, I'll fill it up later (not), I haven't my bank details etc. She says what bank are you with, I'll walk with you to the nearest branch and we'll get the details there.
    I drew the line at that then, I felt so forced! And it was a reputable chartity and all.

What annoys me lately are the one's selling tickets for raffles for dubious charities, the people selling them are Irish but not anyway local, it's the same few questionable charties and they are in the same spot nearly every week with a battered poster. And people actually give them money!

I'm goin from work to get lunch, and clipboard-wielding fella catches my eye, sort of half blocks my path and lays on the charm.

Gotta hand it to him, he was taught well. How on earth do they maintain such a charm offensive for 8 hours or however long they're out collecting?

Much like maintaining anything for 8 hours .. it takes focus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

How on earth do they maintain such a charm offensive for 8 hours or however long they're out collecting?

Cocaine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's always when i'm running(Well quick walking) for a bus that they try to get me. Almost missed a bus one day because i did actually stop to talk to one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Worked as one for two days and was asked to leave cos I didn't get enough sign ups and thank god for that . Those were two days of hell I never want to remember!! :mad:

It's really tough work you're out there hail rain or shine from 09:30-18:30 or possibly even 20:30 if you havent reached your quota for the day by 6 . You must keep a really actve bubbly persona at all times which is very difficult to do for 4 hours straight at a time. Along with people hurling abuse at you etc. Although some of the stuff people would say was genuinely funny. Also the manager is constantly there breathing down your neck complaining youve not got enough sign ups and hinting that you about to get the boot if you dont get any more pronto.

Overall it's a really frustrating and demeaning job because it's almost impossible to stop people and when you do they always have an excuse. You really just feel like screaming and begging them to get them to give you their bank details (even false ones/real and cancel order when they get home) just so you can keep your job !!Also the pay was awful . I was working full time and got €70 per day plus €2 per sin up I got . But I mean you would be doing awfully well if you could get even 2 sign ups a day !!

Having said that I did meet some lovely people on the street and got a good laugh out of some of the excuses but would never in a million years do that job ever again or whish it upon some one!

For the record I too still avoid people like the plauge when I see them on the street , I usually flat out ignore them which is ironic I guess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Hate dem pricks

One time this dude stopped me in town and simply wouldn't let me pass
    Instead of headbutting him I spent 15 minutes with him givng him fake credit card details, fake name, fake address

Basically I wasted his time

so how do you like dat ?

+ charity starts at home

i got one yelling recently at me "hi! i bet you have a brilliant name, don't you!"
    i kept walkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Close my eyes and start wind-milling towards them. It's their fault if they get hit.

bluewolf wrote: »
    i got one yelling recently at me "hi! i bet you have a brilliant name, don't you!"
    i kept walkin

I know that line.
    After that it's "I bet you have a brilliant address", followed by "I bet you have a brilliant birthday", followed by "I bet you have a brilliant bank account number" and finally "I bet you have a brilliant bank address".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭missyb

pierrot wrote: »
    They were all over Henry Street yesterday

Oh they caved into the peer pressure so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Theres all sorts of those questions their supposed to ask you . Its all about not asking direst questins with yes/no answers so that you throw people and they slow down and think , giving you time to stop them in their tracks . As stopping some one is the most difficult part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I chugg'd a good few years ago when I needed money for college.

One of the toughest jobs I say out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Larbre34 wrote: »
    ...perky fat arsed mummies. ...

Is it rude to say that as they fill my bags, I want to empty my bags on their arses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I chugg'd a good few years ago when I needed money for college.

One of the toughest jobs I say out there.

Its a fact of life that the toughest jobs out there are also the most poorly paid and, amazingly, the most maligned.....

The public shows disdain for chuggers....and door to door sales people......and people working in late night fast food joints.

But if your a hospital consultant on half a million a year its yes sir no sir thank you sir........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Next time I see them approaching me I'm going to do this...(turn off the sound, cant find it without music)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_H5KmOD-EQ&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PLCB5D38F53B6DA0A1

Advertisement