Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food not great, takes ages - Tip?

Options
  • 18-07-2012 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wanted to get soem opinions on this.

If you went to a restaurant where the food wasn't great and it took ages but the service was very good, how would this affect your tip (assuming you do tip).

I'm a bit on the fence on this one. On one hand if the waitor did a great job then the tip should reflect this as it's not their fault the food was below par or it took ages.

On the other hand, I think if my overall experience was bad then it's 'tough on the waitor' and my tip will reflect this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Don't tip with the bill.
    Give the waiter something if he was good. Have a word with the manager on duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Rabies wrote: »
    Don't tip with the bill.
    Give the waiter something if he was good. Have a word with the manager on duty.

What difference does it make if you tip with the bill or give it sepperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

lots of places will make it that all tips given with the bill go into a pot/kitty and are split evenly between all staff.

give it to the waiter and he should pocket it really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

event wrote: »
    lots of places will make it that all tips given with the bill go into a pot/kitty and are split evenly between all staff.

Oh I always thought the waiter just got it himself :(

Will make sure I give it sepperate from now on. That's a bit unfair. So if there are three great waiters and 4 Shiite ones then they good ones are paying for the useless ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

DylanII wrote: »
    event wrote: »

Oh I always thought the waiter just got it himself :(

Will make sure I give it sepperate from now on. That's a bit unfair. So if there are three great waiters and 4 Shiite ones then they good ones are paying for the useless ones.
    It is often split with the dishwashers too. Those guys can work hard for less money than floor staff. Also includes the bar staff that make the drinks for that table.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Rabies wrote: »
    It is often split with the dishwashers too. Those guys can work hard for less money than floor staff. Also includes the bar staff that make the drinks for that table.

Yes but barstaff and dishwashers are not getting an equal cut, they'd normally get a small %

Advertisement