Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you getting enough?

• 18-07-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Exercise, that is.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/ireland-seventh-worst-in-global-exercise-study-559614.html
    Ireland is one of the world's most inactive nations; a new global study reveals we're the seventh worst country for lack of exercise among 36 nations.

More than half of us (53.2%) admit we are not taking the recommended levels of weekly exercise.

"Inactivity was defined as not meeting any of three criteria: 30 minutes of moderate activity such as a brisk walk, at least five days a week; 20 minutes of vigorous activity at least three days a week; or an equivalent combination of the two."

"Moderate" activity is best pictured as one where you're warm/sweating but not breathless - so a fast walk. So the walk to the bus stop is not part of this unless you're sweating by the time you get there.
    Vigorous is the next step up, heavy breathing and pumping sweat.

I'd be curious to see how much exercise boardsies get, given the demographic that's in it - office workers and people who spend a lot of time online.

I used to be woeful. Quite literally doing no exercise at all from the time I left school until about 4 years after I left college. Then I started cycling to work and it just kind of escalated from there. On a typical week I'd do five hours of easy cycling (in and out of work), 2.5 hours of running and 2.5 hours of proper hard-working cycling. Which I understand isn't typical.

Cycling and running has seen an explosion in this country over the last 3 years, so I'm just interested to see if this change has also gripped the degenerates of AH.

How much exercise do you get? 261 votes

None, or practically none
    0% 0 votes
    I get some, but not above the recommended amount
    19% 50 votes
    I get the recommended amount of exercise, or more
    28% 75 votes
    I'm unable to exercise due to illness or disability
    52% 136 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i thought this was gonna be about sex... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I think I'm getting enough these days...
    I've started a weight loss regime about 1 year back that is pretty much based on excercise, rather than starvation diet.
    I'm getting between 30 mins to 1 hour moderate to strong excercise a day, and lost just about 15 kg by now.
    Lots to go, but it's a good start, and a lifestyle I'm confident I will be easily able to maintain for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Roger Sterling

Started the year off great by running/walking for 30 mins 4+ nights a week (Couch to 5k programme). Gradually slipped back into old habits the last few months though, which means literally no exercise, especially since I recently learned to drive. Got off my ass this week again though, went for a 30 min run Monday, walked to work yesterday and will keep it going again tonight. was actually surprised how much my stamina had stayed up after the few months of sloth.

Going to join a gym as well, just a for a little variety as I know I'll get fed up again just relentlessly jogging every night in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I get feck all exercise, used to but gone to the dogs in the past few years, out of breath after a flight of stairs and im only 23.

But, this evening, I'm off to buy a nice new hybrid bike helped by the cycle to work scheme, can't wait to get rid of the sump hanging off the front of me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

seamus wrote: »

"Moderate" activity is best pictured as one where you're warm/sweating but not breathless - so a fast walk. So the walk to the bus stop is not part of this unless you're sweating by the time you get there.
    Vigorous is the next step up, heavy breathing and pumping sweat.

Where does an hour of swimming come in every morning? I started to do a relatively slow swim for 1 hour every morning to get my cardiovascular system into shape. It is definitely not racing but I am also not extremely slow. If I do this 5 days a week would it be enough? I am also starting Nordic walking every Saturday morning. Have to get to grips with my health issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Yup, and much more. Healthy humbert :)

Largely by cycling around the local mountains in the evenings. Some weights at home and sometimes run. All free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Tefral

Gym 5 days a week, soccer on wednesday evenings for an hour.

(5x1.5)+(1.5)= 9 hours of intense excercise every week.

I have to say i thought we were getting better? Lots of people checking into gyms on facebook, out running etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I thought it was about sex too. Filled out the survey before I realised. But either way, the answer is the same.

I went to go for a jg last night. At the front door i felt a drop of rain. I stood there for 30 seconds as i watched it start to lash rain. So i went back inside and played call of duty in my running shoes and shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

cronin_j wrote: »
    Gym 5 days a week, soccer on wednesday evenings for an hour.

(5x1.5)+(1.5)= 9 hours of intense excercise every week.

I have to say i thought we were getting better? Lots of people checking into gyms on facebook, out running etc.

There's a fella I know who checks into the gym 7 days a week but can be seen sleeping in the back of his jeep most days when he's "in pumping iron" or else sitting in the bubble pool.

Id take some of the fb check ins with a pinch of salt :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Such a shame I voted before I knew what I was voting on..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

From working full time in an office, coming home from work tired I dont have much time for exercise but I go for walks and 2 runs a week not too bad but im out of shape for my age...

I used to do a lot of cycling before coming to Ireland, it used to be my main means of transport.
    I'd love to get back into it, but frankly I don't dare on the roads here. :(

Between a torn cartilage at the end of May and as of 2 weeks ago torn ligaments in my ankle, I can safely say that no, I am not getting enough exercise and I'm sick of it tbh. It's driving me nuts.

As a child/teenager I was extremely active, I did Kenpo, football, basketball, badminton and athletics (though I was crap at that!), I tore the ligaments in my knee when I was 16 and never returned to get my black belt :(

Even without my current injuries, I could be a lot more active, I go to the gym about three times a week but that's it. I bought a bike and I tried cycling to work a few times but I just found it incredibly boring. I've tried running, I got to about week 5 on the C25K programme and I broke my knee (yes I'm a disaster!), and never completed it.

I hate not being somewhat active though, I just said this morning in another thread that I was well jealous of someone who was on their way home from the gym :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Football 3 nights a week keeps me going! Usually go for a walk in around town a couple of times a week and I'm a fairly brisk walker but the football keeps me nice and healthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

I would have imagined the numbers would be increasing, i always see lots of people out running and walking.

Personally, I run 4 times a week anywhere from 30 mins to 2 hours at a time, also do pilates and yoga and walk every day on my lunch break. I would feel awful in myself if i never exercised, gives me more energy and improves my mood no end!

I would have imagined the numbers would be increasing, i always see lots of people out running and walking.

This is true, when getting a lift out to football I see loads of people in the Drumcondra/Whitehall area out jogging/running/walking.

There is no better feeling than knowing you've had a good session of exercise tho I'm a right little moody shitbag if I lose a game of football :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Freewheel cycling downhill to work, uphill graft for 15 - 20 minutes on the way home, 5 days a week. Thinking of starting going to the gym a couple of lunchtimes a week.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I used to do a lot of cycling before coming to Ireland, it used to be my main means of transport.
    I'd love to get back into it, but frankly I don't dare on the roads here. :(

I don't know what part of the country you're in but for the most part Irish roads (and even Irish drivers) are cycle friendly.

I do a brisk 30 min walk to my evening classes 3 times a week, and 20 mins on another day. So not enough at the moment. I'm taking up yoga and pilates soon as well, I hope that will be enough ;)
    I would like to do more, but I don't have time since I come home ready to pass out at 10pm. When I'm done with the classes I'll be able to get out more often again.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I do a brisk 30 min walk to my evening classes 3 times a week, and 20 mins on another day. So not enough at the moment. I'm taking up yoga and pilates soon as well, I hope that will be enough ;)
    I would like to do more, but I don't have time since I come home ready to pass out at 10pm. When I'm done with the classes I'll be able to get out more often again.

Excuse my ignorance but what's that? More bendy stuff like yoga???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

humbert wrote: »
    I don't know what part of the country you're in but for the most part Irish roads (and even Irish drivers) are cycle friendly.

Yeah I would think Ireland has some of the least crazy roads/drivers as regards cycling.

kfallon wrote: »

It's supposed to be more difficult but yeah i think so
    i haven't started it yet so i duno :pac:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

In a typical week I do one Ninjutsu/Jujutsu class, two Karate classes, running two to three Kilometers three times and a daily sit up & inclined press up routine (I'm trying for handstand press ups :D).

The martial arts classes are great for strenght building and anaerobic exercise but I'd like to increase the distances I'm running for a more aerobic workout.

My one downfall is my flexibility, I seriously am not as bendy as I should be :(

Oh and yes I do the typical Monday to Friday 9 - 5:30 office routine.

bluewolf wrote: »
    It's supposed to be more difficult but yeah i think so
    i haven't started it yet so i duno :pac:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilates[/QUOTE]

Can already feel my calves and hamstrings twitching :pac:

I'll stick to the football, best sporting aerobic workout you can get imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I do 3 hrs TRX a week and usually run anywhere between 15 - 50km per week (although I eased off the running for a while when I started TRX training).

Just started training for the Dublin Marathon in Oct so the running mileage will be increasing over the next couple of months.

There's no such thing as "I don't have time for exercise" - what you're actually saying is "exercise isn't high enough on my list of priorities for me to give time to it".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I get to the gym three times a week and walk every morning there are some great walkways where i live so im getting more excercise than i did a while back used to get practically none apart from when i went shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

1 year ago I used to run 2 miles everyday. Now I do nothing :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You've probably heard of it, but never linked the spelling.

It's pronounced Pill-ah-tays, rather than like "pilots".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I get agitated if I don't get some exercise in. I might be addicted to squats.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    You've probably heard of it, but never linked the spelling.

It's pronounced Pill-ah-tays, rather than like "pilots".

Ahhhhh why didn't you say so.......still never heard of it tbh :o

Sounds like something you'd have with fajitas....whatever they are too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

i love walkies

i love walkies

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I walk to work most days but that's it. I was in a great jogging routine until last year when college got in the way, and I haven't been bothered getting back into it.

I'd love to walk our dog but he's huge and too strong and crazy for me to handle by myself. But I think I'll start the Couch to 5K, see where that gets me :)

Oh yeah I walk to and from work every day also, fair play to me!

It's a 2 min walk :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

Heavy gym session 5 days a week
    Swim 2 evenings
    about 45 mins brisk walking a day - work and back

work in an office so would go mad if I didn't excersise!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

tmc86 wrote: »
    Heavy gym session 5 days a week
    Swim 2 evenings
    about 45 mins brisk walking a day - work and back

work in an office so would go mad if I didn't excersise!

Fair play! See I'd be on my feet all day at work, doing a good bit of walking around and lifting heavy trays etc., so it's hard to motivate myself to exercise after work. Or beforehand. Or ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I walked to the shop once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

if you can stick at it for the first few months itll become part of your routine...i couldnt imagine my routine without the gym now. 4-5 times a week doing different workouts.

I was 17 stone at my heaviest, now under 13, aiming for 12. exercise can be lifechanging if you give it a shot and a bit of graft.

(itll help you get enough of the other stuff too ;) )

I walked to the shop once.

You obviously didn't enjoy it! Did you walk back or get a taxi?

humbert wrote: »

County Cork.
    There are no cycly lanes, and most of the roads are fairly narrow, bendy and have hedges either side, so visibility isn't good.

I'm not brave enough to rely on the goodwill of Irish motorists to adjust their speed to allow for a potential bicycle around every bend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

There's no such thing as "I don't have time for exercise" - what you're actually saying is "exercise isn't high enough on my list of priorities for me to give time to it".
    i don't have time for it because i'm busy and left wrecked with other things, the end.

Can already feel my calves and hamstrings twitching :pac:

I'll stick to the football, best sporting aerobic workout you can get imo

i did c25k a couple times, then got sick/exams so couldn't build on it, i would like to go back to that in a few weeks when i have time again
    not into football

Shenshen wrote: »
    County Cork.
    There are no cycly lanes, and most of the roads are fairly narrow, bendy and have hedges either side, so visibility isn't good.

I'm not brave enough to rely on the goodwill of Irish motorists to adjust their speed to allow for a potential bicycle around every bend...

I cycle in rural Louth, and while I'd still say, 'go for it', I can sympathise.

cade wrote: »
    My one downfall is my flexibility, I seriously am not as bendy as I should be :(

My flexibility is also a downfall, I'm hypermobile so means I'm too bendy, which apparently has contributed to all my injuries! I only found this out recently!! I also knew I was pretty bendy but didn't think it was causing any issues!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I use the Tug Toner exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 bikerdude69

I am surprised nobody has mentioned kettlebells yet I surpose that would comeunder gyms ? I do 20 minutes with 16kg and 24 kg kettlebells most evenings along with walking the dog before work and walking at lunch time.
    Was on holiday and missed the dog and kettlebells like crazy working out can be addicative

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I go the the gym three nights a week and play football every Saturday morning.

I couldn't live without regular exercise, if I break my gym routine then I get very narky and extremely agitated.

I guess I just need lots of testosterone boosts in my life :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I shouldn't because of my back, but I went for a run late last night to clear my head and I loved it. Great for the mind.

So I went again this morning, and will do almost every day.

It's really cheered me up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Last week for example,

I went to the gym 4 times, soccer training twice, played indoor soccer twice and played a match. Rested on Sunday. I reckon I'm getting more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I used to be in the gym/pool 5/6 times a week. Since having kids though, I'm woeful. Managed to get out for a few 30 minute runs at the start of the summer but that's dropped off again.

I can't afford a gym membership and can't seem to motivate to get out and run (have never enjoyed it as a sport). Fancy buying a bike but the price of the things is putting me off and I'd be worried I wouldn't use it if I bought something off adverts for €50. The price of the gym membership and the promise of a sauna and warm down swim afterwards used to be the great motivator for getting me to the gym but with a missus and kids, even if I could find the extra €75 a month or so, I don't know could I justify spending 2 hours in the gym three or four evenings a week...

• Advertisement
Advertisement