Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you getting enough?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I shouldn't because of my back, but I went for a run late last night to clear my head and I loved it. Great for the mind.

So I went again this morning, and will do almost every day.

It's really cheered me up :)

Went for a run a couple of weeks ago, nothing major, about 4km at a good pace but it was on the streets and my hips were killing me the next day. Don't think I'm suited to road running, I seem to have a weird way of walking in that I think my heel hits the ground too hard when I walk/run. Nearly all the runners I've had have ended up severely worn away at the heel end of the sole. :rolleyes:

I was a right lazy prick about 3 years ago but I have to say I love the exercise now! Just wish I'd got my act together about ten years ago. Used to play 5 a side with a guy who was 55, very good footballer and very fit. Everytime I'd play with him I'd always end up thinking, "Christ I hope I can last as long as him at it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

kfallon wrote: »
    Went for a run a couple of weeks ago, nothing major, about 4km at a good pace but it was on the streets and my hips were killing me the next day. Don't think I'm suited to road running, I seem to have a weird way of walking in that I think my heel hits the ground too hard when I walk/run. Nearly all the runners I've had have ended up severely worn away at the heel end of the sole. :rolleyes:

I was a right lazy prick about 3 years ago but I have to say I love the exercise now! Just wish I'd got my act together about ten years ago. Used to play 5 a side with a guy who was 55, very good footballer and very fit. Everytime I'd play with him I'd always end up thinking, "Christ I hope I can last as long as him at it!"
    :D Im not even gonna make the obvious joke there!!!!!!

Sleepy wrote: »
    The price of the gym membership and the promise of a sauna and warm down swim afterwards used to be the great motivator for getting me to the gym but with a missus and kids, even if I could find the extra €75 a month or so, I don't know could I justify spending 2 hours in the gym three or four evenings a week...

You don't have to spend €75 a month on gym membership, my gym is €299 a year or €30pm - no pool though unfortunately. You could also go before work instead of after, I always preferred getting to my desk and having my workout done and dusted.

My flexibility is also a downfall, I'm hypermobile so means I'm too bendy,

oh really :D:D:D
    You don't have to spend €75 a month on gym membership, my gym is €299 a year or €30pm - no pool though unfortunately. You could also go before work instead of after, I always preferred getting to my desk and having my workout done and dusted.

my office has a gym but i dont really want to be doing my workouts with my colleagues nearby ;s

:D Im not even gonna make the obvious joke there!!!!!!

Go for it.....do it, do it, do it! There may even be a 'thanks' in it for you :pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    oh really :D:D:D

:D

It can have its benefits :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The only time that suits me to workout would be when the kids are gone to bed so from about 8pm on. Only gym within a reasonable distance of the house for that to be practical is €75 a month.

No pool would be a deal-breaker for me on a gym. The swim at the end is what motivates me to go through the rest of it!

And morning workouts? :eek: That's just sick :p

With all us fitness 'fanatics' let's organise our very own Boards AH Olympics this summer (or what's left of it) :D

Bags not organising it :pac:

Sleepy wrote: »
    The only time that suits me to workout would be when the kids are gone to bed so from about 8pm on. Only gym within a reasonable distance of the house for that to be practical is €75 a month.

No pool would be a deal-breaker for me on a gym. The swim at the end is what motivates me to go through the rest of it!

And morning workouts? :eek: That's just sick :p

Yeh I'm quite spoilt for choice when it comes to gyms actually, there's loads of them near me, including a county council one and they're in the process of building a pool in that one.

I LOVE morning workouts! in the gym by 6.30, home by 7.40 showered and in work for 9 feeling energised! When I go to kettelbell classes in the evenings (8.15) I'm wired and can't go to sleep for hours!

• Advertisement

When I go to kettelbell classes in the evenings (8.15) I'm wired and can't go to sleep for hours!

I hate that! I'm the same, play football at 8.30 or 9pm for at least an hour, come home shower, eat and then it's about 2 hours before the adrenalin or whatever is out of the system. Trying to sleep before that is a waste of time!

Anyone else get migraines after exercise sometimes??? Or is it just me :o

I hate that! I'm the same, play football at 8.30 or 9pm for at least an hour, come home shower, eat and then it's about 2 hours before the adrenalin or whatever is out of the system. Trying to sleep before that is a waste of time!

friend does
    says its something about electrolytes
    drink more water

Are you taking in enough fluids?

friend does
    says its something about electrolytes
    drink more water
    Are you taking in enough fluids?

I drink plenty of fluid (isotonic stuff and water) as I guessed this was it however I tend to have them (excuse the crude language) pissed out of me by the time I get to football :rolleyes:

I just take 2 paracetamol every night after football, drink about 2 pints of water after it too. Luckily I may get the weird eyesight thing with migraines for about ten minutes but the paracetamol keeps the actual headache away.

After all that water I'm usually up a couple of times in the night for an emptying of the bladder :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I don't and really have no excuse not to be exercising since I'm doing nothing else!:p While I'm looking for a job there's no reason why I can't put a bit more effort into exercising! I suppose the weather is a bit of a draw back though! :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

Yep, I found I wasn't warming down properly. That got shot of it.

• Advertisement

I don't and really have no excuse not to be exercising since I'm doing nothing else!:p While I'm looking for a job there's no reason why I can't put a bit more effort into exercising! I suppose the weather is a bit of a draw back though! :(

why? a good jog in the rain will wake you up pretty sharpish!

you can play indoor badmington/tennis/basketball/football/martial arts etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I go through phases of being good with exercising. Depends on how busy college is. They drill it into us about the importance of exercise and I'm learning about all the illnesses which exercise can help prevent so I don't really have any excuse not to do it. I cycle a lot but I could definitely do more exercise, especially as regards to strength and flexibility.

I'm trying to do more team sports so did Badminton and Tennis this year. It can be difficult though to get other people to go. :cool:

Larianne wrote: »
    I go through phases of being good with exercising. Depends on how busy college is. They drill it into us about the importance of exercise and I'm learning about all the illnesses which exercise can help prevent so I don't really have any excuse not to do it. I cycle a lot but I could definitely do more exercise, especially as regards to strength and flexibility.

I'm trying to do more team sports so did Badminton and Tennis this year. It can be difficult though to get other people to go. :cool:

I used to love badminton...

puffishoes wrote: »
    Yep, I found I wasn't warming down properly. That got shot of it.

What do you do for your warm down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I do... but usually only when I've overdone it. That's why I'm not a team sport person, and I am rather careful with classes, I usually end up trying to do everything a little bit faster, and a little bit harder and ignore the fact that I start feeling dizzy and sick. And then I wake up the next day and wish I could just die...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

3-4 sessions of MRT a week is good for what ales ya! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Everyday except Sunday. Feel like im missing something if i don't exercise.

Bad Panda wrote: »
    3-4 sessions of MRT a week is good for what ales ya! :)

No, I don't like ale, thank you :pac:

What do you do for your warm down?

Mine generally happened during high intensity so playing football for example.

So after the match I do a few laps of the pitch a fairly light jog, slow it down to a walk and a bit of light stretching. the only time i get it now is if I'm in a rush and don't have time to do the above as soon as i get in the car the pain is there and sometimes stays with me for a whole day/night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I used to love badminton...

I love badminton. I'd play it every day if I could. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I get loads of exercise and I feel fantastic for it :) usually my week goes like this:

Monday - 2.5 hours Brazilian jiu jitsu
    Tuesday - 1.5 hours wrestling/MMA
    Wednesday - 1.5 hours BJJ
    Thursday - 2.5 hours MMA incl. some conditioning
    Friday - much needed rest
    Saturday - 1.5 hours conditioning/MMA
    Sunday - some combination of indoor 5k run/outdoor 3k run/strength training/swimming. Quite the hangover cure.

Larianne wrote: »
    I love badminton. I'd play it every day if I could. :o

I'll dig out my racket :D

puffishoes wrote: »
    why? a good jog in the rain will wake you up pretty sharpish!

you can play indoor badmington/tennis/basketball/football/martial arts etc

I'm not mad about jogging in the rain!:p Give myself pneumonia! I would but you really need to be earning a bit of money to get real value out of those! I used to go to kickboxing and it was on two nights a week and you'd really need to be going two nights but it would have added up to 20 euro a week and I need to think about having money for college. But I will try to my the effort to go out for a walk more or even do exercises at home! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not mad about jogging in the rain!:p Give myself pneumonia!
    You can't catch any infectious diseases by going out in the rain, it's an old wives tale. Getting cold won't give you a cold. :)

In reality there are very few days where it's doesn't stop raining for 30 minutes to an hour to get out and do some running. On average it rains for less than an hour a day in this country, so there's plenty of time to get out without getting wet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Tried jogging last month ... gave up after a week and back to square one.

Obesity here I come !

• Advertisement

No, I don't like ale, thank you :pac:

Oops!:o

seamus wrote: »
    You can't catch any infectious diseases by going out in the rain, it's an old wives tale. Getting cold won't give you a cold. :)

In reality there are very few days where it's doesn't stop raining for 30 minutes to an hour to get out and do some running. On average it rains for less than an hour a day in this country, so there's plenty of time to get out without getting wet :)

I prefer to jog in the rain, at midnight, music blaring :) if I stop posting all of a sudden then Ive been murdered on my run!

Joined a gym now too! :D

seamus wrote: »

But it's my excuse! :p I know, I went jogging a few times but I'm so self-conscious and convinced my face is bright red the whole time jogging (it usual was by the time I got home!) Also convinced everyone thinks a twelve year old is jogging (look awful young), even though I'm nineteen! :pac: How come everyone else I see looks fine jogging?:pac:

I prefer to jog in the rain, at midnight, music blaring :) if I stop posting all of a sudden then Ive been murdered on my run!

Joined a gym now too! :D

Love to go to the beach when it's raining for a run. Usually have the whole place to yourself. :)

But it's my excuse! :p I know, I went jogging a few times but I'm so self-conscious and convinced my face is bright red the whole time jogging (it usual was by the time I got home!) Also convinced everyone thinks a twelve year old is jogging (look awful young), even though I'm nineteen! :pac: How come everyone else I see looks fine jogging?:pac:

Hence I go at night time, so I can sing out loud and look as red as I want!!
    Went this morning and ran a different way so I could avoid people seeing me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭maupat

I go running for 30-40 mins 3-4 times every week. I also go for a 30 min walk on my lunch break most days. Sometimes get a 40 min cycle in during the week too. As much as I enjoy the exercise being outdoors is a great way to clear the head too - fresh air's a great tonic :)

As I'm an office worker I really value exercise and the excuse to go outside for a while. Like others I get narky if I haven't been exercising in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Precious Flower, this is exactly why you should go when it's raining - I went one day just because it wasn't going to stop me in my routine, I got soaked, but not only was it easier to do without the extreme heat of late, but because it was raining, there were so few people around, and so you don't have to be so self conscious!

And don't worry, you're really not the only person who runs slowly, or gets a red face - you should see me after mine, you'd swear I was having a heart attack!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Walk to and from work every day, 4k in total, rain or shine. Moving soon to a little bit farther away but getting a bike on the cycle to work scheme so will soon be cycling to and from work every day plus more cycling in the evenings. I prefer outdoor exercising in winter when it's cooler.

Then in work, my job is pretty active. I work in a lab. The odd day I'll be stuck in front of the computer all day but usually I'm up and about all day. Running up and down stairs and just generally being busy. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Don't do any resistance training at all, can't say it appeals, TBH.

You can't beat playing football in the rain, seperates the men from the boys ;)

Tis only when you get into the car afterwards and you are like a drowned rat, that's when it's a pain in the hoop!

Or unless you wore white shorts and they became see-thru with all the rain :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Does jerking off count as exercise?

Only if you are running around while you throttle your lodger or else go for about ten in a row, the sweat excreted during that time should pass as a good workout

Btw anyone else got this in their head from the thread title:

Went this morning and ran a different way so I could avoid people seeing me!!!

Backwards :confused:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Not enough to keep me happy!;)

edit
    Fuck I have a very one track mind!:o

Yeah I exercise a fair bit. Have to pick it up though, my weights are starting to gather some dust the last few weeks!

Backwards :confused:

:pac:

Yeah, and a paper bag on my head!

Maybe if youre playing hard to get with yourself, or jumping on the bed while you do it...

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    Not enough to keep me happy!;)

Thinly veiled, "PM me ladies I've got an isatiable appetite for sex" post :pac:

PM sent

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I cycle an hour a day, play an hour of squash once a week and two hours of rugby although I won't be doing as much during the summer.

I did pilates for ten minutes twice and it was way tougher than any of the rest to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

So insatiable I hit it both ways ;)

Girls alone don't keep me happy!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Walk to and from work every day, 9.4k total.

Gym 3 times a week

Hour of 5-a-side at least once a week. Would love more, must have a look at the forum on here....

• Advertisement
Advertisement