Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffordshire Terrier not eating or going to toilet?

• 18-07-2012 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Does anyone have any advice about this issue? I have agreed to dogsit for a friends 3year old dog for a few days but since we got her on Monday, she hasn't really been eating and has only peed once but nothing else.

She seems to be in good health and happy and has been drinking a lot of water so its surprising that she hasnt peed or pooed, even though she has been outside and has gone for walks.

Any thoughts or insight greatly welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Gingernuts31

Constipated maybe or just missing her owners?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Could be anxiety but if it continues you should really take her to the vet in case there is something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Helen_007

thanks for your feedback both! How long should I leave it before getting worried??, dont want to worry her owners unnecessarily seeing as they are on holidays and will be for the next 9 days but dont want to ignore it either in case something is actually wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like anxiety to me.

Try feeding her something particularly tasty - boiled chicken breast is great. If she eats it, then you know that she's probably not ill, just a bit anxious of the new environment. If a dog turns its nose up at cooked meat (or throws it back up), then you know that something is definitely wrong.

Not sure about the peeing. Mine can hold it for a very long time, sometimes she'll only pee towards the end of a 30 minute walk, other times she can barely wait till we're outside the front door. When you have the dog out for a walk, find good big patch of grass and then wander around it for a couple of minutes. I'd be surprised if she doesn't pee then.

thanks Seamus!
    She had a taste of lamb on Monday night after she got dropped off and ate a small bite of fish yesterday evening, so doesn't seem that she has completely lost her appetite, just that she isnt eating her own tinned food at all, hopefully its just the change of enviroment affecting her routine but hard to know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Helen_007 wrote: »
    thanks for your feedback both! How long should I leave it before getting worried??, dont want to worry her owners unnecessarily seeing as they are on holidays and will be for the next 9 days but dont want to ignore it either in case something is actually wrong.

Well, I would no 1 call the vet and ask, they are not going to charge you for that and, when I dog sit, if vet trips are necessary I take the dog to the vet, find out what is wrong and I would only call if it was serious, so far I have never had to :)
    Then just keep the receipt and tell them what happened, I bet they will be happy to pay you back (again,. based on my own experience)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If she's not eating there's not much to be pooing out if you get me. Feed her chicken as Seamus suggested and if by friday she hasnt defaecaeted bring her to the vet.It will take 12-24hrs to pass through her system. 5 days would definitely be a long time so give it until then.

anniehoo wrote: »
    If she's not eating there's not much to be pooing out if you get me. Feed her chicken as Seamus suggested and if by friday she hasnt defaecaeted bring her to the vet.It will take 12-24hrs to pass through her system. 5 days would definitely be a long time so give it until then.

great thanks very much!!! will monitor the situation until friday and fingers crossed she will come right by herself, what about the not peeing though, i would have thought that that should have happened by now since she has been drinking loads of water???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Id say its pure anxiety and shes actually bursting to go but just unsure of where yet. Bring her for a reeeeeally long walk (an hour +) today and she should. Dogs can be tense inside in unfamilar surroundings so id be very surprised if she lasted any longer than today without peeing.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Id say its pure anxiety and shes actually bursting to go but just unsure of where yet. Bring her for a reeeeeally long walk (an hour +) today and she should. Dogs can be tense inside in unfamilar surroundings so id be very surprised if she lasted any longer than today without peeing.

Thanks, yeah thats what I was thinking, she seems happy and her energy levels are high so it doesnt seem like she is sick or anything like that but i noticed that she was quite restless so maybe still adjusting to being somewhere completely different, will try to walk her loads tonight and hopefully will see the results!!!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Could you try letting her off the lead when you are walking her? Some dogs are really funny about going to the toilet on the lead and will be more inclined to go when off the lead. Or even if you had a flexi lead so she has a bit of space to run around.

andreac wrote: »
    Could you try letting her off the lead when you are walking her? Some dogs are really funny about going to the toilet on the lead and will be more inclined to go when off the lead. Or even if you had a flexi lead so she has a bit of space to run around.

Its a good idea, but I would be worried that if i let her off the lead, she wouldnt come back to me as she isnt too familiar with my voice or commands etc, especially if she got a fright from something as apparently shes not too comfortable being around places where other dogs are, guess I could just lengthen the lead a lot though so she feels like she has a bit more space???

just to give a quick update - she now is eating normally and going to toilet!!!! :D so happy and relieved!!!! :D

Advertisement