Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Live at the O2

Options
  • 18-07-2012 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

Following the phenomenal success of The Fellowship of the Ring last year, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra is proud to present The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers for one night only, Sunday 28 October 2012 at the O2, Dublin. Beneath an immense screen, the full RTÉ CO and chorus will perform to The Two Towers, bringing Howard Shore's music of Middle Earth to life in what promises to be another unforgettable occasion. Tickets go on sale via Ticketmaster Friday, 20 July, 10am, €39.50-€69.50

Really enjoyed their production of The Fellowship of the Ring so very much looking forward to this :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

If Fellowship of the Ring wasn't so boring I would have gone. Definately going to see the Two Towers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

If Fellowship of the Ring wasn't so boring I would have gone. Definately going to see the Two Towers though.

Blasphemer! :mad:

:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i personal thought the two towers was the worst of the 3 movies, except for the big battles, but most of the movie was utter garbage i though

i loved number 1 and number 3
    seen the fellowship , loved it, will probably go to this , ya never know it might make it that bit better ha:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 st3veebee

Very intruiged by this. How does it work: does the film have the score taken off and the dialogue amplified : or subtitles while the orchestra plays?

It's not just the score being plaed is it?

Film is played on a big screen in the background, dialogue only is played on the film but there are subtitles as sometimes the music can get a bit on the loud side :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Towers is waaaay duller than Fellowship, the Treebeard scenes suck all the momentum out of whats going on in Helms Deep, 5 minutes of massive action, cut to a tree spouting poetry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I didnt go to the first event but planning to go to this one (Love TTT!)

Can someone describe it to me?
    The movie is on a big screen, full audio, dialogue discernible etc... then in the "orchestra pit" the RTE orchestra play along with Shore's music... right?
    Its not a case of someone standing up during the movie, explaining musical movements, pausing the movie etc in a stop start way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Skadoosh! wrote: »
    Towers is waaaay duller than Fellowship, the Treebeard scenes suck all the momentum out of whats going on in Helms Deep, 5 minutes of massive action, cut to a tree spouting poetry.

True, but when I watch them on the DVD I skip past the Treebeard and Sam and Frodo parts.

'WAAAAAARRRRRGGGGSSSSSSS'

Skinfull wrote: »
    I didnt go to the first event but planning to go to this one (Love TTT!)

Can someone describe it to me?
    The movie is on a big screen, full audio, dialogue discernible etc... then in the "orchestra pit" the RTE orchestra play along with Shore's music... right?
    Its not a case of someone standing up during the movie, explaining musical movements, pausing the movie etc in a stop start way?

I wouldn't say the dialogue is discernible at all times, particular when the music is at it's most bombastic, but they do have subtitles so that you can follow what is happening. The film score is removed, the orchestra and choir provide all that.

The movie is only stopped for an intermission half way through to give the orchestra a break although I can't remember for definite if it was only one or two stops during the last one.

Essentially it's not really a cinematic experience as one would normally expect, you get to watch the film but the focus is more on the music and the movie is there as a backdrop to the music rather than standard way of music providing a backdrop to the film.

Extended cut? Any mid way break?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Here's a pic of during the movie from RTE Orchestra's facebook :

306501_440430139311866_1500997102_n.jpg

Antar described it well. It's the regular film (not the extended cut) which stops for an intermission for 15-20 minutes halfway through. The main orchestra is onstage all the time, while background choir quietly shuffle in an out for their scenes - that's always fun to see as it's a visual cue that a big scene is coming up :) There's a definite focus on the music, so it's a new way of looking at the film. If you haven't seen Two Towers before I'd recommend watching it between now and the performance so you can focus on the orchestra and not following the plot.

So they strip out the music from the film, and play the video/dialogue/subtitles/sound effects; and you can see the orchestra accompanying what's on screen. It's definitely not for everyone (especially the prohibitive price - must be 75 euros) I think it's a wonderful experience. The sound is magnificent and you can appreciate more the subtle nuances and just how layered the music of LOTR is.

Thanks a million. Great explanation, great picture, totally convinced it will be great. Now to play the waiting game!!! :D C'mon Friday!

Will this sell out fast? Or do I have some time for picking and choosing seats etc?

To be honest, it's a niche market so I don't think it'll sell out soon, but I'd recommend you sort tickets in the first week so you don't put it on the long-finger. Also go to ticketmaster/02 (or ringing them) and order your tickets that way so you can select your seats, as opposed to the computer randomly allocating them!

That said it's not a massive arena by any stretch so every seat is more than decent. There's no real point in sitting up close as you'll want a good view of the screen as well.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    To be honest, it's a niche market so I don't think it'll sell out soon, but I'd recommend you sort tickets in the first week so you don't put it on the long-finger. Also go to ticketmaster/02 (or ringing them) and order your tickets that way so you can select your seats, as opposed to the computer randomly allocating them!

That said it's not a massive arena by any stretch so every seat is more than decent. There's no real point in sitting up close as you'll want a good view of the screen as well.

I've been to the o2 for a few different types of events. Gig wise, there's no bad seats, but was there for Jerry Seinfeld and was in the nose bleeds (even these weren't cheap seats) and though we could hear him fine, it was tough to make him out!

Where do you recommend for this type of event? (Presuming this is the plan they use)

12901s.gif

lol. Personally I'd recommend anywhere in C-D-E in the Red section or the back of the yellow section (C-D-E as well). Since it's not in the Grand Canal Theatre and it'll be sloped seating (and no overhang) it's easier viewing. Having it anywhere half-to-three-quarters towards the back and somewhere in the middle three blocks would be perfect! I'm sure u'll be able to get seats there no problem. It'll likely be the same price wherever you sit (well, unless they're at the very back) so might as well get the seats you want!

Absolutely can't wait for this. It's such a classy affair. Events like this stand as a beacon of how films can be a work of art, and even one component of it can be viewed as a masterpiece.

Tickets go on sale in an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It looks like you would have to spend the best part of €70 for a good seat. Seems to be a ripoff. The €39 seats will probably be too far away from the screen. I think this event is better suited to a smaller venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lotsoftens

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    It looks like you would have to spend the best part of €70 for a good seat. Seems to be a ripoff. The €39 seats will probably be too far away from the screen. I think this event is better suited to a smaller venue.

Are there €39 tickets available? seems to be only starting at 59.50...very expensive for the cheapest seats...was at the one last year and it was brilliant and would love to go again but might have to skip it cos of price unfortunately....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

lotsoftens wrote: »
    Are there €39 tickets available? seems to be only starting at 59.50...very expensive for the cheapest seats...was at the one last year and it was brilliant and would love to go again but might have to skip it cos of price unfortunately....

Thats the price my mate quoted me. I believe last years venue was probably better suited but they are obviously trying to get more in. Maybe it would have been better for the audience if there was three or four viewings at a smaller venue. I love the point but for watching a movie, up on the gallery?? Don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

Was looking at booking but the prices are so expensive that I can't really justify paying €69.50 + €6.10 booking fee or €59.50 + €6.10 booking fee to go to this. There aren't any cheaper seats. To me it is a rip off!

• Advertisement

d@rk l0rd wrote: »
    Was looking at booking but the prices are so expensive that I can't really justify paying €69.50 + €6.10 booking fee or €59.50 + €6.10 booking fee to go to this. There aren't any cheaper seats. To me it is a rip off!

Is it true that there is no service charge if you go to the TM stand? :confused:
    I'm goin to the one in Jervis this evening (or tomorrow) to get tickets to avoid the service charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭d@rk l0rd

There would be no booking fee if you go in person to the O2 and book at their box office.
    If you go to a Ticketmaster outlet you will be charged a fee. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shnoobies

bought my ticket today, im in the front row, hopefully its not too close and will be uncomfortable looking at the screen, but then again I'm more interested in seeing the orchestra play :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 emergingwriter

The O2 box office isonly open on show nights and there are no shows until the end of august. is there any way around the booking fee? Doesn't there have to be an laternative legally?

I don't know about buying tickets not from 02/ticketmaster so I'd say just go to the ticketmaster stand and pay a few quid to get the tix now. For me 2 tickets were €139 + €4.30 handling.

I didn't see any €39 tix available when i bought mine when they went on sale :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

For people complaining in about the expensive price: That choir gotta eat too! :p
    My friend who went to Fellowship one got me a ticket, awesome.

BopNiblets wrote: »
    For people complaining in about the expensive price: That choir gotta eat too! :p
    My friend who went to Fellowship one got me a ticket, awesome.

I seem to recall them being slightly cheaper last year and with a smaller venue, the premium this time around would appear to be for the privilege of it being in the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I hope they improve the quality of the video projection as that was my one gripe from the first one. I'm not sure what the issue was, maybe they were using a blu-ray disc (not cinema quality) or a poor projector.

Other than that it was very impressive..

Unfortunately I can't go as I will be at Dead Can Dance in BGET (i.e. where Fellowship was on last year!)

davej

Really like the look of this but that price is huge.

• Advertisement

shnoobies wrote: »
    bought my ticket today, im in the front row, hopefully its not too close and will be uncomfortable looking at the screen, but then again I'm more interested in seeing the orchestra play :D

We're about 7 rows back I think. Really looking forward to this one.

Oh also.. bought tickets at TM stand in Jervis.. no service charge!

Advertisement