Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Live at the O2

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

39.50 tickets available in TM Jervis stand. Had to pay service charge tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

what is the seating for those €39.50 tix like?

12901s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

jaykhunter wrote: »

12901s.gif

Mine are block G Row 3. As long as I can see the screen & not pay €60+ I'll be happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I have to book 10 tickets for the work Sports and Social tomorrow. Based on the above, B C D E & F seem to be the best bets. Anyone been to the o2 for anything like this before with a screen involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

12901s.gif

Thinking of going to this myself. Just wondering for 39.50 how far back are you from the screen. Is it worth getting a ticket. Seems excessive enough if your way back from both the stage and the screen. Has anyone got one of these seats for the last LOTR gig and if so was it worth it?

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    Thinking of going to this myself. Just wondering for 39.50 how far back are you from the screen. Is it worth getting a ticket. Seems excessive enough if your way back from both the stage and the screen. Has anyone got one of these seats for the last LOTR gig and if so was it worth it?

I was talking to TicketMaster today and the €39.50 tickets are sections A & G.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

am thinking about attending this, love LOTR

did they have any set paraphernalia on display or any of the cast making a special appearance??

I have two extra trickets for sale under face value here if any one is interested.

http://www.adverts.ie/theatre-shows/lord-of-the-rings-live-at-the-02-with-rte-orchestra/2245248

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Excellent production again this year though I felt that the acoustics weren't as good as the Grand Canal as it seemed a bit echoey but maybe that was me. The song at the end really wasn't suited to the singer either, she was excellent earlier in the show but just not good singing the final song.

Also, what was with the crowds of people leaving before the film itself even finished, I didn't understand that at all.

Still, I'll be back next year for the Return of the King!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I agree a very enjoyable show. I could not understand all the people leaving during the final song. I guess they wanted to avoid the traffic leaving the car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

st3veebee wrote: »
    Very intruiged by this. How does it work: does the film have the score taken off and the dialogue amplified : or subtitles while the orchestra plays?

It's not just the score being plaed is it?

Never been to a showing of a film with a live score added, of course a silent one would be obvious and it wouldn't apply to a modern film but I can't figure how it would work with originally mono films like Casablanca and Psycho, where separate dialogue, effects and music tracks aren't available to remove, presume it would involve playing over the existing music, sounds messy and could ruin the dialogue element.

Bluh? Psycho is available with just the dialogue and sound effects on the film, and the orchestra play the music in time with the movie. If you don't believe me you can go see it on Wednesday!

Agreed that the sound/echo was not as nice as the Grand Canal but was still an excellent performance. It didnt sound as good as Star Wars at the O2. Aggravated to see the hordes of people shuffling and talking (and clapping ffs) as soon as the credits rolled. The orchestra were still playing for another 5+ minutes and the female soloist was just going into her big song.

Overall a great performance and excellent experience, they got in a choir of children to sing the 'ring calling to you' bits which was cool. Looking forward to ROTK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    I agree a very enjoyable show. I could not understand all the people leaving during the final song. I guess they wanted to avoid the traffic leaving the car park.
    Yeah that annoyed me, sitting on the aisle seat with people clopping down the steps during the girls solo of Gollums Song, godammit sit the fupp down and wait for them to finish playing you uncouth buffoons! :mad:
    Much preferred Grand Canal as a venue, I thought the speakers sounded woeful during some sections too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Bluh? Psycho is available with just the dialogue and sound effects on the film, and the orchestra play the music in time with the movie. If you don't believe me you can go see it on Wednesday!

Unfortunately it is not available exactly like this.

What actually happens is the dialogue is heavily 'gated' so all the gaps between speech is ducked but when they are talking there is some score still there.
    It sounds terrible on its own but not really noticeable with the orchestra playing over it. Its only with the much older movies like Psycho,Casablanca, Wizard of Oz etc. where there isnt access to masters to make custom mixes.

Modern movies have the versions without the score in the mix at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Yeah that annoyed me, sitting on the aisle seat with people clopping down the steps during the girls solo of Gollums Song, godammit sit the fupp down and wait for them to finish playing you uncouth buffoons! :mad:
    Much preferred Grand Canal as a venue, I thought the speakers sounded woeful during some sections too.

If it bothers you so much, why don't you book a seat in the middle of the row? :rolleyes:

We don't all enjoy sitting in traffic for 30 minutes, trying to get off the quays. Especially not when you've got another 1hr plus drive to get home.

Good show and looking forward to next year's

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

rgiller wrote: »
    If it bothers you so much, why don't you book a seat in the middle of the row? :rolleyes:

We don't all enjoy sitting in traffic for 30 minutes, trying to get off the quays. Especially not when you've got another 1hr plus drive to get home.

That's no excuse tbh. There's a certain decorum when there's an orchestra playing on stage. Especially when there's someone up doing a solo.

I found it extremely rude of people to get up and was out like that. It wasn't the local cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

rgiller wrote: »

My friend booked the tickets so it wasn't avoidable this time.
    Walking out at the credits was still a bit stupid, people paid for the orchestra, not the film so they missed out on one of the best bits, the closing songs are great for all 3 films, I wouldn't have missed them.

I understand the traffic concern, we parked down at Jervis and got the Luas so it was fine from there.

Unfortunately it is not available exactly like this.

What actually happens is the dialogue is heavily 'gated' so all the gaps between speech is ducked but when they are talking there is some score still there.
    It sounds terrible on its own but not really noticeable with the orchestra playing over it. Its only with the much older movies like Psycho,Casablanca, Wizard of Oz etc. where there isnt access to masters to make custom mixes.

Modern movies have the versions without the score in the mix at all.

Cheers artvandulet, I knew jaykhunter was completely wrong (I have a background in TV post-production and friends who work in film so know something of these matters) as there is no commercial reason to newly release an originally mono film with totally isolated tracks like that, even if there was, the original separate elements that made up the mono mix are very unlikely to be still around. So was thinking a bit of cack handed EQ-ing might be attempted, as you say the elements for more recent films are more than likely still around and in easily separated digital format so it would be possoble. Sounds like a mess with that compression approach to older mono films, I couldn't stand a film without a proper audio mix so wouldn't be bothered going to see them like that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's actually mandatory for international distribution that films have versions with the various soundtracks (music, dialogue, background dialogue, sound effects, whatever other layers a film would have) separate - for dubbing particularly. With big budget recent productions like LOTR I'd imagine there's all kinds of versions of the film available for those with the necessary funds.

Out of curiosity, what format was the film showing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I went, I'm big fan of the films but the reason I went was because a close friend wanted to see it and hes not really into movies but The Two Towers is probably his favorite film.

I've not been to an orchestra before so I was not aware of the etiquette involved. We only booked tickets last week so ended up right in the middle of row G. Didn't realize the amount of whingeing a certain couple would be doing when myself and then my nephew had to get up for a leak after about an hour. Some people really need to get a life, it not like Beethoven was performing his final symphony. Its the soundtrack to a Hollywood blockbuster, what type of crowd do you expect at this sort of thing. So to save any argument I didn't have anymore drink, so didn't need to get outta of my seat and be disrespectful. If I went again I wouldn't drink at all as I said I hadn't seen one before.

I listened to Gollum's Song for about a minute but decided to leave as it didn't sound very good and the girl singing it, her voice didn't fit with it all, which annoyed me because I love that song(her other parts were fabulous). That was the only complaint I would have with the production apart from the fact that they did such a good job that you became immersed in the film so much that you almost forget they are playing live.

• Advertisement

Cheers artvandulet, I knew jaykhunter was completely wrong

Thanks. Every day's a school day :o

It's actually mandatory for international distribution that films have versions with the various soundtracks (music, dialogue, background dialogue, sound effects, whatever other layers a film would have) separate - for dubbing particularly. With big budget recent productions like LOTR I'd imagine there's all kinds of versions of the film available for those with the necessary funds.

Separate audio elements for the likes of Casablanca would be long gone so your first statement isn't quite true, also, back then the international print for dubbing would have music and effects on a mono track then the foreign language dialog would be dubbed producing a new mono mix, a separate music track wasn't provided back then, things were more primitive but films were still fantastic.

Thanks. Every day's a school day :o

Apology accepted boss.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Separate audio elements for the likes of Casablanca would be long gone so your first statement isn't quite true, also, back then the international print for dubbing would have music and effects on a mono track then the foreign language dialog would be dubbed producing a new mono mix, a separate music track wasn't provided back then, things were more primitive but films were still fantastic.

I wasn't referring to early cinema, where you're lucky if even a single high-quality print survives, let alone audio masters. I was referring to modern films like LotR which would likely have several different masters with different combinations of soundtracks available for whoever needs them (hence my using the present tense ;)). Even independent films usually have to offer this is they want any hope of international distribution. Would say that's been the case for the last two or three decades or so, perhaps with a few exceptions before that. And with new tech I'd imagine it would be doable to isolate individual soundtrack elements if the quality was decent enough. I'm not going to pretend to know anything about that, but wouldn't be surprised if it has been used to create high quality surround sound versions of older films.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

If you mean media type it was D5.
    Aspect was 16:9 afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

Guilty as charged as someone who snuck out early.
    Purely on the basis that I didn't want to get caught in the car park exodus again (at a previous show it took us well over an hour to get out. I just couldn't face that again).

I also didn't enjoy this as much as the first show in the Grand Canal. The sound wasn't great, and it was so overly hot and stuffy towards the end it was uncomfortable.

I will inevitably go to the third instalment just to wrap up the trilogy, but hope they tighten the audio and PQ of the movie itself up a fair bit. Don't think i'll drive next time either (if its on in the O2 again), so as I won't have to worry about the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

The Grand Canal was a much better venue, the sound was awful in places in the O2. Parts of it seemed like you were listening to the tv from another room or something. The performance was good but was not blown away mainly due to the lack of volume (I was near the front). My main beef was some of the clowns that attended the show, I don't know what they were expecting. One guy beside me laughed at every single "joke", which got annoying after about 5 minutes, like he had never seen it before but then got in a quoting war with his girlfriend, then a guy behind keep shouting random things out like he was in a pub, which weren't funny in any way e.g. when Smegal was arguing with himself, he shouted "f off". Don't get me started on the constant talking and moving from seats throughout the performance. For the price of the 2 tickets I could have bought a surround sound system and watched the blu-rays at home. Definetly won't be going to the 3rd one if it is O2 again, more suited for Lady Gaga and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

FrostyJack wrote: »
    The Grand Canal was a much better venue, the sound was awful in places in the O2. Parts of it seemed like you were listening to the tv from another room or something. The performance was good but was not blown away mainly due to the lack of volume (I was near the front). My main beef was some of the clowns that attended the show, I don't know what they were expecting. One guy beside me laughed at every single "joke", which got annoying after about 5 minutes, like he had never seen it before but then got in a quoting war with his girlfriend, then a guy behind keep shouting random things out like he was in a pub, which weren't funny in any way e.g. when Smegal was arguing with himself, he shouted "f off". Don't get me started on the constant talking and moving from seats throughout the performance.
    I was in the middle at the front (about 3 rows from the back of the flat section) and I thought the sound was grand. Didn't hear any hecklers and there was minimal movement from the crowd in regards to toileting and bars etc. Though right at the en when the screen faded to black one group of people in the middle jumped up and tried to get out, despite the orchestra still playing an someone singing. :rolleyes:

I was sitting in the middle of the first tiered section and I thought the sound was worse than the Grand Canal. I'm happy they could fill a larger arena like the 02 but I really enjoyed the atmosphere of the intimate theatre. Completely different vibe. The only thing I really took umbrage with was people clapping & leaving as soon as the film ended, roughly 10 minutes before the orchestra finished, right as they did their big finale :mad: Especially annoying to see as we didn't get the orchestra playing the credits at Psycho last year. LOL! I'm still annoyed about it. I felt embarrassed for us as a crowd, seeing people shuffling and TALKING as they left during the singer's big part at the end. This isn't the bloody cinema, it's a performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement