Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sunday Spin 22nd

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Was a fookin big poker run I tell ya.

Skerries to Navan > Cavan > Ardee > Dunleer > Balbriggan > Skerries was knackered at the end of it. And missed the bleedin grun at the end....ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Sorry i didn't make it lads, only woke up around 10.30, sounds like a hell of a run:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Was a fookin big poker run I tell ya.

Skerries to Navan > Cavan > Ardee > Dunleer > Balbriggan > Skerries was knackered at the end of it. And missed the bleedin grun at the end....ffs!

you forgot dundalk :))))))) it was a bit poor organized event. a part of me being in constant stress the weather was good at least.

Next time? no thanks.

Yeah the whole thing was setup for all the "LADS THAT KNOW" each other and know whats what. So if you an outsider that has no clue WTF is going on it was piss poor.

Really wanted to meet a few lads to make my biker circle that bit bigger....:rolleyes: Ahhh well, it was a super spin and my bike is back to 100%

Nice catching up with you again Ed....try to make the ULSTER ROAD RACES with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Yeah the whole thing was setup for all the "LADS THAT KNOW" each other and know whats what. So if you an outsider that has no clue WTF is going on it was piss poor.

Really wanted to meet a few lads to make my biker circle that bit bigger....:rolleyes: Ahhh well, it was a super spin and my bike is back to 100%

Nice catching up with you again Ed....try to make the ULSTER ROAD RACES with me.

i promise i will do, if i will have the time, "i like your speed" - no homo - involved :)

well the road was not to bad for today, seriously why would you print the poker cards with no direction - no maps - no checkpoints on it - then provide 2 numbers on your website as official numbers with names - and none of them is working - one off and one wrong. hm i spend 40e for driving around like a tard :)

at the end of the day we had only 2 choices -

one join the racing party form biker.ie - no brainers

or go on our own.

we went with second option and we managed to make it back to skerries but without fingerfood :)))))) with empty stomachs, tanks and no diretions where to go. :) cracking day :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

I have to agree the organisation of the poker run left a lot to be desired. Seven of us went on this together and we were on a short leash due to family committments and some wanted to be back for the match so pace was brisk.
    We weren't given a map, when we arrived at the petrol station in Dunshaughlin there was nobody there at the checkpoint, rode around like loons looking for another petrol station, 20 minutes later back to the original petrol station and yer man had arrived....

Arrived in Dunleer, one guy standing around outside a chipper. We were milling around looking confused and he didn't bother to wave us over to tell us he was the checkpoint.

Finally arrived first to Ollie's pub and again, nobody from the club present and the bar staff didn't know anything about the checkpoint being there. Finally after 30-40 riders had arrived, a bloke from the club turned up and a massive queue formed. We couldn't be bothered waiting to check in so just left. No mention of finger food either when we were there and we were starving. Very disappointed in the organisation of the event. Also too much main roads on the recommended route, we went off route to get some nice roads.

That said, we had a savage spin in the good weather.

I'll be up for the next spin!
    next weekend is it?
    Im based in Naas

Fr Dougal wrote: »
    I have to agree the organisation of the poker run left a lot to be desired. Seven of us went on this together and we were on a short leash due to family committments and some wanted to be back for the match so pace was brisk.
    We weren't given a map, when we arrived at the petrol station in Dunshaughlin there was nobody there at the checkpoint, rode around like loons looking for another petrol station, 20 minutes later back to the original petrol station and yer man had arrived....

Arrived in Dunleer, one guy standing around outside a chipper. We were milling around looking confused and he didn't bother to wave us over to tell us he was the checkpoint.

Finally arrived first to Ollie's pub and again, nobody from the club present and the bar staff didn't know anything about the checkpoint being there. Finally after 30-40 riders had arrived, a bloke from the club turned up and a massive queue formed. We couldn't be bothered waiting to check in so just left. No mention of finger food either when we were there and we were starving. Very disappointed in the organisation of the event. Also too much main roads on the recommended route, we went off route to get some nice roads.

That said, we had a savage spin in the good weather.

Thats it in a nutshell....all the club wanted was the money TBH and **** what happens after that. I give my time to radio marshal at all the events and knew they were badly stuck at skerries this year at the practise and stood in the ****in rain for 5-6 hrs none stop and they cant even sort a few chicken nuggets out ffs at a poker run!

And not everyone who does a poker run is gonna take the same route so they are gonna have to wait for others to arrive, like when I went from navan to kingcourt I went all the back roads and it took us longer.....we were lucky to have caught the lads giving out the cards.
    Would not mind there was a very good turn out as Graham himself said, I dont think there will be next time!!!! :rolleyes:

urbanledge wrote: »
    I'll be up for the next spin!
    next weekend is it?
    Im based in Naas

Ahh you laughing so, we usually meet around the corner from you in clane or kilcock so you have not got far to go.

There are alot of spins organised on here but mine is a regular sunday spin (no matter what the weather is like) but only when the road races are not on as I travel to them all.

Amoy road races are on this week end so no sunday spin. Watch the section for when a spin is on..... ;)

Sound,
    will keep an eye out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Just be careful with the turns mate....not alot you can do about the 40 foot. For turns most important tip I can give you is be in the correct gear....ITS CRUCIAL. But it will help if you in the right position also, but gear is more important.

Just want to add to this, taking rounabouts sharp corners u turns , are allabout comfort ....if your new to riding sunday is the perfect way to learn your route, never ever push it if your not comfortable dont risk it ...and as wonda states gear is key ya dont wana be chug chuggin and u certainly dont wana come out of a corner on a wet day in the wrong gear ...tank slappin all over the shop. Was one of the first lessons i learned the hard way but was lucky i was on a moped but ..wetday+sharp corner+greasy manhole cover= one very sore shoulder arse and back

Not really the place for it but alot of people starting out dont understand the gears for corners/bends etc. It can be hard and only learnt through experience and getting to know YOUR BIKE.

But rule of thumb is you actually want the bike to be "REVVY" in bends especially if moving fast....so if you do go a tad wide the bike will slow down faster but it will be alot more responsive then going around a corner at 40mph in 6th gear. Dont be afraid to have the revs high bikes are made for this unlike cars. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Kido Fazer 1

But rule of thumb is you actually want the bike to be "REVVY" in bends especially if moving fast....so if you do go a tad wide the bike will slow down faster but it will be alot more responsive then going around a corner at 40mph in 6th gear. Dont be afraid to have the revs high bikes are made for this unlike cars. ;)
    I don't agree about having your bike "revvy" in bends. Your bike will work better at lower revs on entry to a corner & when you see your exit let the grunt from the engine take you smoothly & safely out of the bend. Maybe going around a corner @ 40mph is safer. Slow in & fast out. No reason to run wide if you practice this.

When I mean revvy I dont mean up at the red line, bike squirming before the corner......I mean responsive. I personally would rather have it revvy and responsive i.e a lower/proper gear on entry to a corner then a high gear non responsive limp bike mid bend. Works for me....;)

Obviously position, speed and gear is key before lean in but I am talking from a beginner's point of view. You can iron out the kinks the more you get used to the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I don't agree about having your bike "revvy" in bends. Your bike will work better at lower revs on entry to a corner & when you see your exit let the grunt from the engine take you smoothly & safely out of the bend. Maybe going around a corner @ 40mph is safer. Slow in & fast out. No reason to run wide if you practice this.

Absolutely. If anyone knows - you do!! Also, I would have thought (I stand to be corrected) that road position is more important than gear selection!!!
    Obviously if you're doing 30mph, you won't be in 6th gear but you know what I mean. :pac:
    I personally would rather have it revvy and responsive i.e a lower/proper gear on entry to a corner then a high gear non responsive limp bike mid bend. Works for me....

I know where you're coming from, but at the same time, on a more powerful bike, you can take a corner in 6th gear and it'll still pull like a train coming out (depending on bike and corner of course.)

When I mean revvy I dont mean up at the red line, bike squirming before the corner......I mean responsive. I personally would rather have it revvy and responsive i.e a lower/proper gear on entry to a corner then a high gear non responsive limp bike mid bend. Works for me....;)

I never said at the red line. That works for you but may not work for other people.

Well I was taught the opposite m8.....must ask smiler and see what he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

...even in the right gear and position we can run a tad wide on a road we dont know....

Aye, it's happened to me on MORE than one occasion. Tis a brown trouser moment for sure! :D

I never said at the red line. That works for you but may not work for other people.

I know you did'nt say the red line, I did. And I dont be near the red line in any gear. I dont drive that hard TBH with you. I was trying to explain my post....I know what I mean by revvy maybe it read differently to OP, but I am not saying hit a corner MOTO GP styleeeeee.

Well I was taught the opposte PKM, even in the right gear and position we can run a tad wide on a road we dont know. So at least if you in the right gear as opposed to the right position you can gain control quicker as the bike will be more responsive.
    On a road that a rider doesn't know, they should slow down anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Sorry for derailing the thread lads:o I have taken all info on board:)

And you a train driver aswell....LMFAO.

You grand mate....Ive seen things go alot wonkier then this over the years. Anyway back on topic, try to get out next week with us. Even if we stay in your area to help you along.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

And you a train driver aswell....LMFAO.

You grand mate....Ive seen things go alot wonkier then this over the years. Anyway back on topic, try to get out next week with us. Even if we stay in your area to help you along.... ;)

luck would have it im off the 4th & 5th of Aug so ill do my best. Ill do some more practice in the the time between though

Ive seen things go alot wonkier then this over the years.
    :confused: I give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pandorum

Ive seen things go alot wonkier then this over the years.

Your on bikes a year so how can you make claim to this one? Sure your nothing but a newbie yourself. :)

:confused: I give up.

Why bother kido as he has his full licence so he has to know everything about bikes but hes still only on them a year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Lads he was talking about threads going off topic not anything to do with bikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pandorum

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Lads he was talking about threads going off topic not anything to do with bikes...

Point taking onboard klu. Sorry about that.

Pandorum wrote: »
    Your on bikes a year so how can you make claim to this one? Sure your nothing but a newbie yourself. :)

Why bother kido as he has his full licence so he has to know everything about bikes but hes still only on them a year.

WTF is it to you....why not use your real nick off GM and stop trolling? 2 posts and one of them is having a go the other was prolly to ask how to post. No ego here with me and bikes and I dont know it all far from it. I was taught like that and it serves me well.

Big shout out to all the KEYBOARD WARRIORs. Call for backup lads Wonda is trying to help a new chap learn the ropes, dont know what all your problems are lads but go sell crazy somewere else were all stocked up here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Chill out lads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement