Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing second kitten?

• 18-07-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I have an 8 week old kitten who was taken into foster car at 2 weeks old.
    He spent about 4-5 weeks with 2 dogs and 1 cat and apparently got on great with them.
    I would really love to rescue another kitten/Cat but i am worried about them getting on.
    We now have the kitten 2 weeks and he is getting on great, hes very playfun (Nips us a Lot!) but he's alone for a few hours during the day so we'd love it if he had some company (But as said above we would also love a second cat/kitten, its not just for his company!)
    I would certainly look into getting another kitten/cat that has been around other cats already so they wouldn't get a shock being brought home to one but i'm wondering if our kitten may already be territorial about our home?

Will some kittens just not accept another cat or will they generally come round?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

When they are that small I find that they are just delighted to have a playmate. When one of my cats was a smallie a friend had a kitten the same age, I used to bring my cat with me when I went to visit and the two of them had a great time.

I doubt I would have the same result now as she is quite territorial. But you should have no bother when they are babies like that, the perfect time to introduce I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

I had one kitten two weeks and then took in another they were both ten weeks old and it took about two weeks for them to become friends the good thing was as they were both the same age when they had a few fights at the start they were evenly enough matched that no one got hurt.One ran away at six months and now the other is a year old and I have rescued another six week old kitten to keep him company as he really missed having a playmate and the age gap really shows they are getting on great (better then with his first mate) but when the little kitten goes too far and he lashes out its a much bigger deal its like watching a lion with a mouse and I have to step in and also keep them seperated when Im out just in case.I think its much better and safer to get two kittens around the same time there will probably be a few rows until one asserts dominance over the other and it will depend on the kittens personallitys too some are much more chilled out then others.Make an extra effort with the first kitten for a few weeks and dont be seen to dote too much on the new kitten because they can be jealous little buggers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dublin21

Thanks guys, thats put my mind at ease a bit!!

We've just adopted our second kitten from catsaid and we're collecting him today.
    He's about 10 weeks old and i'd say our guy is pushing 10 weeks too so they are about the same age :)

Praying they get on as half the reason we talked about getting another one was for companionship for our little fella..

I've done a bit of reading around and people seem to suggest keeping them isolated for about 3 days until they pick up on each others scent etc?
    Have ppl gone this route or do you just put them both in the same room and see how it goes at first?

Ok so the 2nd kitten is home a day now..
    Hes def more than 10 weeks.. a bit bigger than our other kitten of 9-10 weeks and a lot chubbier... Think he was getting too much food at previous house. When i fed him last night the place was cleared in seconds! Never seen a kitten eat so fast.

Anyway i let him explore the place before bringing him into our fella.. a bit of sniffing went on and they have been attacking/playing with each other since then.. Literally. The only time they stop is for food or when i separated them for the night. I have to pick up the younger kitten when the older one uses the litter tray as he will not leave him alone!
    I know kittens/cats tend to fight and/or play but is this normal that its pretty much 90% of the time.. ive only had the 2nd cat since last night, will they calm down?

I'm just worried about the first kitten.. hes currently smaller (it doesn't stop him having a go at older kitten!) but will get hurt more easily.. he tends to yelp sometimes and i feel the need to kinda break it up but then he will be the one doing the chasing so it leaves me to believe he isn't actually getting hurt :confused:
    He has absolutely no interest in us anymore since new kitten came home!

I'm gonna keep them separated on and off for the next few days and at night..
    Any advice or should i just let them at it for now (unless of course i think harm is being done)..

my kittens did the same when we introduced them they just fought and watched each other the whole time for the first while we seperated them at night so they could both relax.The fighting did last a while and could seem very vicious at times we were almost thinking oh no this isnt working out we decided to give it another two weeks before making a decision because it seemed unfair to put them through all the stress by the end of the two weeks they were great with each other,still had the odd spat but I think a lot of it was establishing dominance.
    The file name is random cat pics they are my cats when they were kittens :)

• Advertisement

Thanks ameee, they are gorgeous!

So did you just let them at it during the day and separate at night?

I don't know where they are getting the energy from!! Our 1st kitten used to doze for hours after about 30 mins playing with us.. He's been chasing the 2nd kitten for the last 3 hrs! :eek:

yeah I just had to leave them to it once or twice I stepped in when I thought one of them was really getting hurt probably shouldnt have though but it can be hard to watch dont think we watched tv for days we just sat watching them :D

Advertisement