Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Consuming human flesh to stay Alive, could you do it ?

• 18-07-2012 12:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Me, no qualms, I'm quite the fat ****er so I'd have to watch out for my fellow survivors causing me an accident.
    I reckon I could go 3 days max then I'd be noshing the hind quarters off some poor unfortunate.
    Would like it cooked first mind but maybe it's not the place to be fussy.

Could you break one of society's final taboos to stay alive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Ah yeah, wouldnt be nice but dont think id have a problem doing it if i had no other choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

If it was cooked maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Since it's not likely to happen I'll go along with your attitude:
    Sure thing, no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'd do it if I was even slightly peckish, was out of food and didn't want to walk to the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Me, no qualms, I'm quite the fat ****er so I'd have to watch out for my fellow survivors causing me an accident.
    I reckon I could go 3 days max then I'd be noshing the hind quarters off some poor unfortunate.
    Would like it cooked first mind but maybe it's not the place to be fussy.

Could you break one of society's final taboos to stay alive.

heya hannibal :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

If your on the menu op, sure, I like lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

I'd like to eat human before I die, just out of curiosity. But it's not likely to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i dont think i could but the thought of eating man rather than a women sickens me more... weird or what :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

davet82 wrote: »
    i dont think i could but the thought of eating man rather than a women sickens me more... weird or what :confused:

i wouldnt mind a women
    least then i can just keep saying to my self, its only chicken

il have the breast please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Cooked I'd give it a go.

Not uncooked. I once had rare steak and nearly got sick from it being too soft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

davet82 wrote: »

Yes, I prefer to steer clear clear of meat and two veg if there's a nice bit of breast on the menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭Joni23

If it was medium well. Not a big fan of well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

In an Alive style situation I think I would get so hungry that I would eat the dead to stay alive. They're already dead so it doesn't matter.

Not sure how I would react if it was an Alive style situation but no one died in the crash and it became of kill and eat or be killed and eaten.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

How would you work out the "best before date"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'd try the liver... With some fava beans and a nice chianti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

It would depend on age of carcass length of time 'hung' to mature:eek:

saiint wrote: »
    i wouldnt mind a woman

what kind of eating are we talking about here though? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Depend on the sauce that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭qwerty93

Noel: "God, we might have to eat each other, it'd be like that film Alive. Look, here's me eating Tony... and Tony'd be like oh no get off me, I'm not dead yet and I'd be like, but I'm hungry, Tony! And here's Tony's parents when they hear that I've eaten Tony; oh why did you eat Tony, Tony was our only son. Then at the funeral I'd be like oh I better not show my-"
    Tony: "SHUT UP, SHUT UP, WILL YOU? WILL YOU PLEASE SHUT UP???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Not a bother, meat is meat...handy to have some sweet chilli or hoi-sin dipping sauce to hand though...nom nom nom :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Depends what's in the cupboards

"Now THIS is what I call finger food!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah if it had to be done, I have done a lot of survival stuff, human would have to taste better than some of the stuff I eaten to see what they taste like. Insects etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Everyone would do it if they where hungry enough. Hunger is something most of us have never truly experienced, it would overcome all our social nicety's and it would be almost impossible to ignore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

ScumLord wrote: »
    Everyone would do it if they where hungry enough. Hunger is something most of us have never truly experienced, it would overcome all our social nicety's and it would be almost impossible to ignore.

Sure if you need an excuse to get started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Let's face it, we're Irish, if you bang it into a stew or coddle then any of us would eat it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yes. True starvation would lead you to do nearly anything I think.

As long as you don't deliberately kill someone to eat them I think it's okay.

Human flesh is just protein after all.

Crap, Now you tell me??

People have rationally and democratically made the decision to kill one of the group so the others can live in the past.

I don't think most people would be above killing to survive either.

People have rationally and democratically made the decision to kill one of the group so the others can live in the past.

Really? I wonder how they came to a decision. Would it be draw straws, fight to the death etc. Or maybe someone offered to take one for the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I really don't think I could. BUt then again you don't know what you're capable of until you're in that situation.

Joni23 wrote: »
    Really? I wonder how they came to a decision. Would it be draw straws,
    Yup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Joni23 wrote: »
    Really? I wonder how they came to a decision. Would it be draw straws, fight to the death etc. Or maybe someone offered to take one for the team.

Watch the film "Alive", based on a true story about a football team who survived a crash in the Andes, only by eating each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Surely not. How do people on hunger strike manage not to eat then even when offered it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

robbiezero wrote: »
    Surely not. How do people on hunger strike manage not to eat then even when offered it?

Principles. Politics. Patriotism.

Far different set of circumsatnces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

old hippy wrote: »
    Principles. Politics. Patriotism.

Far different set of circumsatnces.

But does that not negate the statement I was responding to i.e. "Everyone would do it if they where hungry enough"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'd like to think I wouldn't but that's unlikely, starvation makes people do awful things I'm sure. I always wondered if during the famine people resorted to this? I've never heard it mentioned but I can't help wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Unavailable for Comment

I'd imagine you either eat or you get eaten.

But does that not negate the statement I was responding to i.e. "Everyone would do it if they where hungry enough"?
    If he was dying of starvation outside of a prison it would be a different story. There are also monks that go without food for weeks and months using the starvation as a religious experience rather like doing drugs.

There are of course always exceptions but I don't think you'll find to many of them. They're so rare the stories can last years, decades even centuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I think not, in one case a very strong decision making process is in play, over-riding normal survival instincts. It takes a very special person psychologically to see a hunger strike to its conclusion. The pain involved is supposed to be horrific.

Cant imagine I would have trouble with it. I have already engaged in recipies involving Human Placenta so I think after that I could delve into a few spare ribs or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Did ye ever go to see the "Body Exhibition" in the old Ambassador theatre at the top of O'Connell St ?

It's an exhibition of real human bodies, some skinned and posed.
    It's mad how much the muscles look like something out of the butchers, like a leg of turkey.

We're all just walking meat bags.
    So yeah, in a survival situation, I'd resort to cannibalism.

Actually I'm surprised with the famines in Africa that they haven't resorted to their old ways.
    It would be a two-fold solution, feeding the starving and reducing the population.

Actually I'm surprised with the famines in Africa that they haven't resorted to their old ways.
    It would be a two-fold solution, feeding the starving and reducing the population.
    I wouldn't be surprised if it happened but in a superstitious society like that I'd imagine it happens as some sort of magic ritual where they are trying to eat the persons soul so they'll have the victims "power".

Many species will not kill their own, it's some sort of safe guard to protect the species. Even when you watch lions fighting the loser runs away with his life more often than not. It's huge taboo that goes back before modern human civilisation so even the most primitive tribes will see it as a disgusting act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

the brains and then the bone marrow, discard the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I'm sure they wouldn't, but that's when you get into the 'what I'm doing is wrong' territory, as opposed to the consumption of meat that is currently taboo/not advised.
    I'd like to think I wouldn't but that's unlikely, starvation makes people do awful things I'm sure. I always wondered if during the famine people resorted to this? I've never heard it mentioned but I can't help wondering.

There are reports of human cannibalism during a famine in North Korea in the 1990s, and they have apparently executed several people in more recent years for commiting cannibalism due to food shortages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I'd say Bear Grylls cameraman has had some sleepless nights in his time !

the brains and then the bone marrow, discard the rest.
    Bit suspicious to go straight for the brain. Better load this shotgun just in case.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It depends on what else was available tbh. For example, if there was also pizza, then I'd probably eat that instead. Unless it had mushrooms. I fncking hate mushrooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

Yes. True starvation would lead you to do nearly anything I think.

Human flesh is just protein after all.

If I remember rightly "Alive" was the first book about the Andes air crash - I think I read it in 1972 - must have been published in the same year as the crash itself.
    Apparently anthopophagy was the term used for eating human flesh - it was pointed out in the book, and later in the film, that parts of the bodies of those who died in the crash were eaten by most of the survivors. Most of the passengers were students and some were medical students - so I doubt if people were taking chunks out of each other!
    One of the survivors, an older man, told the others that, at the height the plane had crashed at, (they had crashed into a mountain), they would find no food - the only protein was in the frozen corpses of their fellow passengers.
    Some could not bear to eat human flesh - even when the slivers of flesh were rolled inside pices of chocolate to try and make them palatable.
    When these people died, they became food for others - as I recall the only exemptions were relatives and two women.
    I think they were all Catholic and felt strong feelings of guilt afterwards - hence the need to stress that they had killed no-one for food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

there was the story of ship that sank going round the horn of africa there were 3 life boats in 1 life boat they decided that they were not going to make it unless they started to eat each other so they drew lots they killed and ate the person and continued doing this as needed until they were rescued.

the 2 other boats that didn't do this apparently didn't make it.
    :eek:

Although now that I think about it maybe the guys in the cannibal boat ate the other 2 boats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

sheesh wrote: »
    there was the story of ship that sank going round the horn of africa there were 3 life boats in 1 life boat they decided that they were not going to make it unless they started to eat each other so they drew lots they killed and ate the person and continued doing this as needed until they were rescued.

the 2 other boats that didn't do this apparently didn't make it.
    :eek:

Although now that I think about it maybe the guys in the cannibal boat ate the other 2 boats.

your not a cannibal if you eat a boat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement