Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sweeping Country Roads

• 18-07-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭

Just witnessed one of the greatest money wasting exercises by local council.
    I live in the sticks, now I mean middle of nowhere, off the beaten track. Neighbours across the fields knida scene.

Anyway, a council street cleaner truck has just crawled past, sweeping the fucking road.:confused: I mean, one of the BIG ones, not a tiny one akin to Grafton St etc. No cow sh*t before it's said.

Any other laughable instances of waste by councils around the island witness by AH folk?

(Not Gov. Salaries, Cuts etc etc.......zzzzzzzzzzz)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

you cant win, we dont get the services down the country/its a waste of services down the country :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Krispie wrote: »
    Just witnessed one of the greatest money wasting exercises by local council.
    I live in the sticks, now I mean middle of nowhere, off the beaten track. Neighbours across the fields knida scene.

Anyway, a council street cleaner truck has just crawled past, sweeping the fucking road.:confused: I mean, one of the BIG ones, not a tiny one akin to Grafton St etc. No cow sh*t before it's said.

Any other laughable instances of waste by councils around the island witness by AH folk?

(Not Gov. Salaries, Cuts etc etc.......zzzzzzzzzzz)

i Dont smell cow ****
    i smell bull ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The council actually out working instead of drinking tea and leaning on shovels all day?

I don't believe you OP :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Maybe he was just driving it from one town to another and thought, "Ah sure I'll do a good deed on my way. Surely nobody would have a problem with that. I mean there's no way that someone would be so annoyed by this that they'd take to the internet to complain, is there?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

does seem like a wasteful excercise but if they clean the roads from obstacles thats a good thing,i would like to see them fix our roads,i mean after paying the 100 euro charge the least they could do is fix potholes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I don't like curtain twitchers OP :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

You can't bate a gud clean road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

They wouldn't have to clean them if they took them in for the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Are they resurfacing any roads near you? They leaves the chips on the road for ages to the point chips are spread for miles making roads extra dangerous and probably doing damage to the rest of the road too. They have to send out sweepers eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

ScumLord wrote: »
    Are they resurfacing any roads near you? They leaves the chips on the road for ages to the point chips are spread for miles making roads extra dangerous and probably doing damage to the rest of the road too. They have to send out sweepers eventually.

Yea.
    They often do this before resurfacing as it helps a new surface adhere to the old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

sure he was probably only nipping home for the lunch

bbam wrote: »
    Yea.
    They often do this before resurfacing as it helps a new surface adhere to the old.
    I don't think they do. They usually rip up the top surface and replace it. Where I've seen them sweeping the road is when they put down a rough surface with a layer of chippings on top then leave it for a week or two. The road is extremely dangerous at that time humps of chippings are forming down the middle of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

ScumLord wrote: »
    I don't think they do. They usually rip up the top surface and replace it. Where I've seen them sweeping the road is when they put down a rough surface with a layer of chippings on top then leave it for a week or two. The road is extremely dangerous at that time humps of chippings are forming down the middle of road.

Round my way they come with a truck and shovel a few bits of black gravel into the pothole, tap it a few times to round off the top of the bump and off they go.
    A roadsweeper would only suck up the gravel they just put in.IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

The council near my house decided to re surface some of the main road but decided to do the part of the road that doesn't need it and bypass a section that is wrecked with potholes.

I don't understand what they're at. Resurface the best of it and leave the worst of it as it is ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

LaVail wrote: »
    The council near my house decided to re surface some of the main road but decided to do the part of the road that doesn't need it and bypass a section that is wrecked with potholes.

I don't understand what they're at. Resurface the best of it and leave the worst of it as it is ffs :rolleyes:

It's a new policy to keep the potholes for the Koi Carp water-feature and road-side sushi restaurants.

Round my way they come with a truck and shovel a few bits of black gravel into the pothole, tap it a few times to round off the top of the bump and off they go.
    A roadsweeper would only suck up the gravel they just put in.IMO
    We're talking about different things then. I'm talking about when they do a full resurfacing of a section of road rather than filling in potholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's a new policy to keep the potholes for the Koi Carp water-feature and road-side sushi restaurants.

:D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

country roads are always covered in loose chippings and crap and are very dangerous for motorcyclists.

FatherLen wrote: »
    country roads are always covered in loose chippings and crap and are very dangerous exciting for motorcyclists.
    FYP.

Advertisement