If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem w/ Denon AVR-1612

Options
  • 18-07-2012 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

The AVR-1612 I got in May has started acting funny: When I turn it on after a period of inactivity, after a couple of seconds it'll shut itself off and the power light will blink red rapidly (2x per sec). It'll turn on successfully the second or third time. Seems to be getting dodgier over time, though.

Ideas for a fix, or will this require servicing?

Thanks,

Ben

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Sneftel wrote: »
    The AVR-1612 I got in May has started acting funny: When I turn it on after a period of inactivity, after a couple of seconds it'll shut itself off and the power light will blink red rapidly (2x per sec). It'll turn on successfully the second or third time. Seems to be getting dodgier over time, though.

Ideas for a fix, or will this require servicing?

Thanks,

Ben

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about the problem you're having.

I'm not sure of a fix of the top of my head. Best bet would be to get the amp back to us so we can get Denon to have a look at it. Best to get these things checked incase it gets any worse over time.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭newirishman

Hi Ben,

Sorry to hear about the problem you're having.

I'm not sure of a fix of the top of my head. Best bet would be to get the amp back to us so we can get Denon to have a look at it. Best to get these things checked incase it gets any worse over time.

Chris

jumping in here as I know this amp quite well -

looks like the amp is shutting down due to some short circuit on the speaker.
    check if you have any loose wires from the speaker cable touching the amp.
    try disconnecting all speaker cables and check if it is still happening.
    also try a microprocessor reset (check user manual how to do this).

if that doesn't fix it you might need to send back :(

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Snetel and New Irishman,

apologies for the delay getting onto this and I have to agree with NewIrishman - I'd be pretty certain (sight unseen granted!) that you have a short on one of your speakers somewhere and the Denon's protection circuit is cutting in - I note that this is an occassional issue therefore it could actually be in one of the actual drivers which will make it physically difficult to trace - howveer it is important that you try to find it to prevent serious damage to your receiver.

In the 1st instance I would do a careful physical examination of all your cables - of course the usual culprits are at the binding posts at the amp and speaker ends where a single stray cable is crossing to the opposite polarity - alternatively it is frequently where a nail or cable clip has been used to tidy the cables and it has shorted the cable - if you can't find it this way - I'm afraid it gets a bit tougher and the process of elimanation starts - you will have to disconnect all the speakers and only reconnect them one-by one until the problem raises its head again.

Thanks again New Irish and as ever if there is an issue drop us a line and we will do our best to assist,

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sneftel

Thanks, I'll try running the receiver disconnected this evening. Also, I'll take a multimeter to the speaker cables and see if the impedance is too low on any of them.

Finally got around to testing this out, and even with everything disconnected from the receiver it still shuts itself off the first time. Looks like I'll have to send it in. What's the process for that? (I don't still have the packing materials for the receiver, unfortunately.)

• Advertisement

Finally got around to testing this out, and even with everything disconnected from the receiver it still shuts itself off the first time. Looks like I'll have to send it in. What's the process for that? (I don't still have the packing materials for the receiver, unfortunately.)

Sneftel,

apologies that it's still not behaving itself - from the blinking data in the troubleshooting guide it does appear that it has had a speaker short - have you tried the mocroprocessor reset?

1. Turn off the power using ON/STANDBY.
    2. Press ON/STANDBY while simultaneously pressing 8 and 9.
    3. Once the display starts flashing at intervals of about 1 second, release the two
    buttons.
    If in step 3 the display does not flash at intervals of about 1 second, start over from step 1.

If that fails don't hesitate to get it back to us but please ensure it's packed for transportation properly as it will go the the UK to be checked out and obviously has to be packed for the journey!

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist in any way,

Best regards,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

The reset didn't help. I'll send it in ASAP -- what address should I use, and what labeling/documentation should I include?

The reset didn't help. I'll send it in ASAP -- what address should I use, and what labeling/documentation should I include?

Sneftel,

Oh damn!

If you could send it to:

Richer Sounds Belfast,
    7, Smithfield Square North,
    Belfast,
    BT1 1FN

If you could include a copy of your receipt - a description of the fault and NO ACCESSORIES I would appreciate it.

If you could box it up and send it really securely for transportation (it will go to Denon in the UK)

Thanks again for bearing with us and as ever give us a shout if you have any queries,

ATVB,

John McDonald

Sent it in last week... have you passed it on to Denon? Any idea how long they usually take to turn it around?

Sent it in last week... have you passed it on to Denon? Any idea how long they usually take to turn it around?

Sneftel,

Im sure we will have sent it on to Denon if it arrived last week but I'll check with the guys in the morning and drop you a PM..

Thanks again,

John Mc

Sneftel,

just had an update - it left us for Denon on the 15th and is currently on the bench according to Denon - I'll ask the lads to kee you updated,

ATV,

John Mc

• Advertisement

Any further updates from Denon? (Sorry to keep bugging you.)

Any further updates from Denon? (Sorry to keep bugging you.)

Sorry for the delay Sneftel - I have the guys on the case this morning and I'll post as soon as I get an update,

AVB,

John Mc

Still no update?

Still no update?

Sneftel,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - the guys chased Denon again this morning and they are going to credit your AVR1612 - we just need to find out what they intend to replace it with and I'll revert to you within the next 24 hours to make sure you are happy with their proposal..but it will be an 'XX13' replacement - so it will be a good deal whatever!

Apologies again for the delay and as soon as I get white smoke I'll report back,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Great, glad to hear things are moving. I took a look at the xx13 range on Denon's site, and it looks like any of them, other than the 1513, would be fine for my needs.

Let me know when you hear back.

bump... what's the status?

Great, glad to hear things are moving. I took a look at the xx13 range on Denon's site, and it looks like any of them, other than the 1513, would be fine for my needs.

Let me know when you hear back.

Sneftel,

apologies again for the delay - as there is no direct replacement for your AVR16 denon have just asked us to refund your sale and you can of course set that against any Av receiver - I'll happily do you a deal on any of the new '13' series of Denons.. just keep me posted and I'll PM you a deal..

Thanks again,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

Nah... TBH, the three-week turnaround time has put me off mail-order stereo equipment. Just a refund is fine.

Nah... TBH, the three-week turnaround time has put me off mail-order stereo equipment. Just a refund is fine.

Sneftel,

aopologies for the delay - unfortunately denon were waiting for parts and when we pushed them thay agreed to a full refund - I'll happily refund in full and pop a cheque in the post for you.

As ever drop me a line if I can assist again,

ATVB,

John Mc

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.