Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate intercom problems

Options
  • 18-07-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

My neighbour called me with a problem with her intercom for her gates. The problem is that when a person calls her from the outside intercom unit the person in the house can open the gates from inside and hear the visitor but the visitor can't hear the person who is in the house. Obviously this is important to her for safety's sake. I replaced the outside unit like for like but still have the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? Or should I replace the inside unit next? Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

antlyn wrote: »
    My neighbour called me with a problem with her intercom for her gates. The problem is that when a person calls her from the outside intercom unit the person in the house can open the gates from inside and hear the visitor but the visitor can't hear the person who is in the house. Obviously this is important to her for safety's sake. I replaced the outside unit like for like but still have the same problem. Anyone have any ideas? Or should I replace the inside unit next? Thanks

It is a process of elimination.

My next step would be to test each core of the cable for contunity, conductor resistance and insulation resistance.

Failing that replace the indoor handset.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

replace the handset next(assuming you replaced outdoor unit correctly)
    then i would check the wiring if it doesnt function correctly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

meercat wrote: »
    replace the handset next(assuming you replaced outdoor unit correctly)
    then i would check the wiring if it doesnt function correctly

Yes, check that everything is connected as per the schematic.
    All of the cable testing can be carried out with a good multimeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

+ 1 re. the handset, probably the microphone, they usually have a pot for gain on the PCB, try adjusting that first. If it has a removable handset, check the cord for damage-this often happens with cheaper handsets.

Advertisement