Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Historical Society

Options
  • 18-07-2012 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hello

Myself and a few associates are looking to organise a Local Historical Society. At the moment we clean up the graves and memorials of Irish Patriots, who are more or less sadly forgotton, particularly those who fought in 1798. We hold small anniversary ceremonies, usually involving a couple of quick speeches and a wreath laying.

The purpose is to keep the memory of the patriots who fought for Ireland alive and to educate and indeed learn from others.

We are small in numbers at present and operate mainly in the Leinster region but are hoping to expand. We are not connected to any political movements nor will we be seeking money, just for people to attend a meeting or discussion group every 10 weeks or so.

If anyone would like more information or would be interested in participating I would like to hear from you.

Thank you

RM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

You could try contacting this organisation; http://www.wexfordhistoricalsociety.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I went for a drive last Sunday to Kilcumney 1798 Memorial and it definately needs a cleaning :
    It looks forgotten .

100_3419.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Shredder66

Thanks all for the replies:)

Cheers for the link, I'll try get in touch with them :)

You're right, a lot of the sites sadly are rotting away, the croppy acre in Dublin also is an eye sore with beer cans and grafitti everywhere, some people just have no respect at all:mad:

Advertisement