Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats, litter, pee, etc

• 18-07-2012 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭

Good afternoon boardsies,

We have had 2 cats in a medium sized apartment for about 18 months, and we have a problem with one of them peeing in places other than her litter box. Recently she has taken to peeing next to the front door, which is only a few feet from her food and water, which I found strange.

Initially, I suspected the litter box was not clean enough, so we endeavoured to keep the boxes cleaner, but, the problem continued. The litter boxes are in the pantry, and it recently occurred to me, that next to the pantry is the washing machine, and maybe, if the cat needs to pee, while the washing machine is going, it is afraid and then goes elsewhere. The cat logics being: if its near the front door, it will get 'carried' out. A friend of mine, a cat enthusiast once told me, 'cats are smart, they don't generally pee in random places, nor for random reasons, there is always a reason behind their actions'. I don't know how true this is, but it does seem logical. If I can figure out what is going on, my life would be better.

They both seem to pee or the other thing outside of their boxes occasionally. though usually, very close to it. I assume this is when they don't find the box attractive. But, near the door seems strange.

I'm considering seperating their litter boxes. One in the pantry. One behind the couch in the living room. They spend most of their time in the living room, and when we are home, we are usually on the couch or near the computer, so I think it has enough privacy. Maybe splitting up the boxes may help?

Advice, suggestions etc very welcome.

EDIT: BTW both cats are female and both are neutered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Well the general rule of thumb is to have one box per cat plus one extra as they dont tend.to like sharing, and these.shouldnt be close to each other eg have one in the pantry, one in the bathroom, and since your cat is peeing by the front door put one there too. Are the litter boxes the small uncovered ones? Cos I know my 2 hated them and wouldnt always use them, they would go in small enclosed areas so we got them a hooded litter tray and have had only one or 2 accidents since in the last 4 years. Id also say if its just one of them doing it, there could be a possibility of a urinary tract infection so it would be best to check this out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well the general rule of thumb is to have one box per cat plus one extra as they dont tend.to like sharing, and these.shouldnt be close to each other eg have one in the pantry, one in the bathroom, and since your cat is peeing by the front door put one there too. Are the litter boxes the small uncovered ones? Cos I know my 2 hated them and wouldnt always use them, they would go in small enclosed areas so we got them a hooded litter tray and have had only one or 2 accidents since in the last 4 years. Id also say if its just one of them doing it, there could be a possibility of a urinary tract infection so it would be best to check this out :)

Hooded tray, and urinary tract infection seem to be recurring answers to my specific problem. I'm making an appointment with the vet now.

Hooded tray wise, it does make sense. We all feel vulnerable when we are on the john. I'll get one and see what happens.

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

My cat has taken to peeing on the couch, right in front of me. I dont let him in the living room now as it is an awful smell. He has done it about 4 times, in the exact same spot. He is 17 months old and is not neutered. He is my only cat. I dont want to get him neutered yet as I would like to buy another cat and then have some kittens. After that I would have them both neutered. I want a few cats, maybe 4, but dont want to have to buy another 3. So having kittens seems like a good idea, if there are a few extra kittens (I dont want to be overrun) then I will sell them which will cover the cost of buying the female in the first place.

Is there anyway that I can figure out why he is peeing? He even had a pee on the curtains 2 weeks ago. Its annoying having to constantly wash everything and I dont want to have to isolate him from sections of the house, but I cant have him doing this everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Unneutered male cats do this to mark their territory. It is always best to get them neutered as young as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

cats dont share toilets when they shit outside,watch them in their natural habitat they never share the same toilet ever,so its probably the same thing there,if the cat is peeing up against the door there might be another reason is there another cat in the area,maybe a tom,and they feel threatened so they are marking their territory,do you let other toms into the house where they may feel the need to re assert their territory..

• Advertisement
Advertisement