Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting Attire

Options
  • 18-07-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am planning on taking up hunting properly this year as I have bought a new horse. Before I only went occasionaly so I never bought all the correct attire. The hunt group I will be going with are not too strict (I wore hoodies/rain coats on previous hunts with them) however I would like to dress the part now that I intend on going regularly.

I went to TRI in the Curragh recently to try on some hunt coats. I tried on a Shires black one which was €200, however with my body protector underneath it looked hideous, plus I didn't find it very comfortable and I don't think it would be easy to ride in. I don't particularly want to spend that money on something that looks so awful.

They had tweed coats there for €140 which were a lighter material. From what I recall I think people always wore black or is tweed acceptable? It didn't look any better but at least its not quite as expensive and it was slightly more comfortable.

Ideally, I would like to wear a black quilted jacket but I guess this won't fit in, however I find that material far more flexible/comfortable for riding in.

I would not go on a hunt without a body protector so that isn't an option. I would appreciate any advice you might have on hunting attire.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I had every intention of wearing my body protector when I started back hunting three years ago. However, like you I found I could not get a hunt coat that looked well with it.

Eventually I gave up on the body protector, reasoning [personal opinion]that it doesnt really protect you from spinal injuries, its more protection for your internal organs than your spine. And since the wool coat plus the many layers are so thick, they offer a fair amount of protection on their own[/personal opinion].

Some people hunt in the thinner jockey level 1 racesafes, which are less bulky. And I think more people will start wearing air jackets now... practically every one wears them eventing these days.

Btw those shire jackets are totally grand. I got mine for 130 euro in a sale but its wearing brilliantly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tweed was traditionally worn by farmers.A good hunt coat is really expensive, but practically waterproof and thorn proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

fits wrote: »

Eventually I gave up on the body protector, reasoning [personal opinion]that it doesnt really protect you from spinal injuries, its more protection for your internal organs than your spine.

I use a body protector but I assumed that they protected your spine to a reasonable extent?

They act as a shock absorber so yes there would be some spine protection.

Saw this on the airowear website
    What will my body protector protect?

Body protectors offer some protection from impacts suffered as a consequence of falling from horses. Impacts may be against soft or hard ground, or objects such as trees, vehicles, posts and rails. However serious the accident, the body protector is designed to reduce the severity of injury but cannot claim to be entirely preventative. Body protectors do not offer spinal protection or prevent injuries involving severe torsion, flexion, extension or crushing of the body.

Just as a by the way. I always wear my body protector when I'm riding at home. I am a believer in wearing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 niamh o'malley

Yes, tweed is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Tweed is traditionally only worn out cubbing; Irish hunts tend to be far less strict about attire than our British counterparts so I wouldn't hesitate to wear tweed if it's the only suitable jacket you can find.

It might even work to your benefit, you'll stand out from the field and might therefore be more likely to avoid collisions, and gentlemen will notice you and make way:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

would you wear your body protector over the jacket? I can't see why someone would complain when you're just looking out for yourself. To be honest, I'm amazed that bp aren't mandatory out in the field :O

Most proper hunt jackets are just too thick and bulky to wear a bp over. Tweeds arent as thick. You might be able to wear one over a tweed.

(I wear tweed out hunting if its a warmer day, nothing wrong with it at all.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

would you wear your body protector over the jacket? I can't see why someone would complain when you're just looking out for yourself. To be honest, I'm amazed that bp aren't mandatory out in the field :O
    Not long ago it wasn't unusual for people to ride with nothing more on their heads than top hats or bowlers; in fact I've seen it with one or two of the more dandyish guys at special occasion meets!

I have to admit I don't wear a body protector out hunting, but no I don't think anyone would ever say a bad word about wearing it on the outside of your jacket. Most hunt organisers these days are far more preoccupied with safety than they are with sartorial etiquette.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭twomeys

Just a couple of quick points regarding body protectors and hunt coats from a retailers point. A "properly fitted" body protector as in one that has been sold to you and fitted by a person that has been trained will give you certain protection. It mainly protects your vital organs from severe bruising. It DOES NOT protect your spine from rotational damage. Id like to quote what is written on one of the leading body protectors on the market

________________________________________________________________________________________________

WARNING
    This body protector is for equestrian use only and is intended for horse riders and those working with horses.

It is intended to provide some protection from impact consequent on falling from horses. Such impacts may be against soft or hard ground, or objects such as trees, vehicles, posts or rails.

Injuries cannot be entirely prevented but should be reduced in severity

Injuries involving severe torsion, flexion, extension or crushing of the body will not be prevented. Spinal protection in not provided.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

the reason I wanted to pint this out even though the OP was not asking for this info was because some previos posts gave slightly in accurate information and as Hunting is one of the more dangerous forms of horse riding it is essential that people know what their equipment can and can not do.

Regarding a Body protector and a hunt coat. This has been a problem but in September this will be fixed. Us along with a handful of other shops will be stocking the Dainese Body Protector. Its a slimline body protector that will be Beta3 certified. This body protector will fit comfortably under a hunt coat and will not be noticeable. So this might be an answer to so many people not wearing a body protector out hunting.

Hopefully I didnt diverse off the OP too much.

Thanks,

Eoghan

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MissSteel

Hi Clogsworth! For my first season hunting, I bought a navy showjumping jacket in Tri and wore my racesafe bp over this. I hunted with that for two seasons and nobody ever said a word to me about wearing it over the jacket, I was worried i might be cold or get drowned when it rained but it worked perfectly! I bought a navy TAGG hunt coat online for this seasons hunting and stopped wearing the bp. Purely for vanity reasons! Hopefully i wont get a bad fall, but i would be interested in the dainese bp that twomeys mentioned above.

Advertisement