Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great two player titles

Options
  • 18-07-2012 1:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Looking for some really good two player titles on any of the current consoles. wii/xbox/ps3

table tennis on the 360 is a great laugh, any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So....any good multiplayer..of any genre...on any of the 3 major consoles ?...well....that's narrowing it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Rayman Origins is available on all three platforms. It's co-op, but there's competitive elements with level-tallies and whatnot, and you can impede one another's progress a la Battletoad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

SeantheMan wrote: »
    So....any good multiplayer..of any genre...on any of the 3 major consoles ?...well....that's narrowing it down.

not multiplayer.

two player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Borderlands for some great shooting fun, Portal 2 for some puzzles, Rock Band / Guitar hero for music. I enjoyed Dead Island in Co-Op too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

You mean 2 player on the same console?

Call of Duty black ops has 2-4 player split screen offline version of the multiplayer with ~10 computer characters. Also zombie maps.

left 4 dead is good too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

puffishoes wrote: »
    not multiplayer.

two player.

All multiplayers have 2 player(s) by default if I'm not mistaken.
    I fail to see the difference.
    There are 100's of threads like this.

You need to be specific as to what you are looking for, sports, racing, action, tower defense, fighting, online, co-op, for kids, for adults

SeantheMan wrote: »
    All multiplayer are 2 players also by default if I'm not mistaken.
    I fail to see the difference.
    There are 100's of threads like this.

to be honest, I wasn't prepared for a pedantic rant on what defines multiplayer.

So, I'm looking for fun titles that are designed with two players in mind.

not 3 or 4 although they may be able to support more but were designed with two.

e.g. tennis.

so I'm open to any game any genre on the 3 platforms that you found as fun playing with two people.

I hope that's more helpful ;)

You mean 2 player on the same console?

exactly yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

FIFA.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You cant beat a good ol' fashioned session of Peggle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

exactly yes.

you can play the first Resistance Game : Fall of Man Campaign split screen on the same console

Everybody's Golf World Tour s'also pretty good for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Gears of War

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Rayman Origins has already been mentioned so I'll just second that.

The best local mutliplayer game this generation has been New Super Mario Bros. Wii. If you don't have it you should get it now.

There is the Pro Evolution Soccer series. You could get Streets of Rage II from the PSN store or XBLA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Halo is great 2 player game.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

Lara Croft And The Guardian Of Light is quite good. The Worms games are always a laugh. Portal 2 has great co-op, as do the Call of Duty games.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

as much as i hate what RE franchise became, but i have to admit RE5 split screen can be a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

as much as i hate what RE franchise became, but i have to admit RE5 split screen can be a lot of fun.

+1 on Resi 5. It has it's flaws but it was a great laugh completing the game on co-op. Co-op will be the ONLY reason I am getting Resi 6 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

The Dishwasher: VS's Arcade modes I highly recommend.

Gears 1-3
    Halo ODST and Reach
    Resi 5
    Castle Crashers

And any fighting game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Some good websites for Co Op goodness...

This is the best one :
    http://www.thecoopmode.com/

Other mentions :

http://www.co-optimus.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cooperative_video_games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Would you be against downloading something from the like of the PSN store or similar?

Some great old school ps1 games sound like they would be right up your street like tekken 2 for a beat em up.

Crash Team Racing was the best fun I used to have back in the day playing two player locally. Sunk I dunno how many hours into it. Very good game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

This is a pretty good idea for a thread - it's easy to neglect split screen/same screen games. I mostly play online, but when I first got a console I was more concerned with local multiplayer and a lot of shooters overlook that.

All the COD games and I think the Halo ones have split screen, but Battlefield doesn't - even that co-op needs online multiplayer. I think the Left 4 Dead games have decent split screen also, not sure if the full online multi is available off line. On PS3 the Resistance games usually have split-screen, though the Killzone games don't.

Sports are always a good bet for 2 players - pick your poison between FIFA and Pro Evolution, but to be honest those games have gone very stale and don't take advantage of a real head-to-head experience, not a great test of reactions.

Instead I'd recommend other sports - for tennis you've Virtua Tennis (which is arcadey and fun, and has 2 player mini-games), or Top Spin (which is also fun, but slightly more exacting, timing based).

If it's your bag the NHL games can be great, but are an acquired taste. NBA 2k games are very good for local multiplayer, 2k11 in particular, 2k12 is less arcadey - but either is worth a punt.

Tiger Woods golf games tend to be pretty weak though, just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

And you can't go wrong with a fighting game and there are loads of options - Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Tekken, BlazBlue, Marvel v Capcom, Soul Calibur. But to be honest, if you've a network connection there are two good ones on the online stores of Xbox and Playstation - Skullgirls and Virtua Fighter. Think they're both around/under €15 and are as good as the full priced games in store, personal preference notwithstanding. Worth checking if there are demos of either of them if you're online.

On PS3 Little Big Planet is fun for all ages. On all platforms something like Rock Band, if you've the cash and the space for the instruments, is great with 2 to 4 people playing in the same room. As has already been mentioned, Portal 2 is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Trials Evolution on xbox 360 is very good four player on the same xbox,

Pretty good two player too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Sonic & Sega All Star racing is good fun on 2/4 player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Looking for some really good two player titles on any of the current consoles. wii/xbox/ps3

table tennis on the 360 is a great laugh, any others?
    If ya have a Kinect, the table tennis game is right craic as is most of the sports games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 jate3d9u1qxmwc

Portal 2 has amazing co-op
    Minecraft on XBLA is pretty good co-op & any of the halo games from Halo 3 upwards are amazing co-op games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Any of these franchises, Streetfighter, Tekken, Soulblade/Calibur

Advertisement