Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ennis Rd Motors

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

phog wrote: »
    I rang this crowd to book my car in on a Saturday morning recently to have my brakes done, on the said Saturday the place was locked up, 2 other cars waiting there as well. I left my mobile but no one bothered to contact to cancel or to re-arrange the booking, I have to say I'm not impressed with them. :mad:

Cannot say I have ever had a bad experience like that from them, my father and sister have their cars serviced there too and never complained either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Mc Love wrote: »
    Wow they are normally very reliable?!
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Cannot say I have ever had a bad experience like that from them, my father and sister have their cars serviced there too and never complained either.

I don't doubt you, but it wasn't a great first impression for me.

I needed the breaks done by the Sunday as I was heading to Dublin and wanted to be safe rather than sorry so I rang on the Tuesday to book it in, they were busy all week but said they could fit me in on the Saturday. I rang back to confirm the booking.

As I said no one around when I went down and a East european guy arrived in a BMW while I was there he was also waiting for it to open, there was also a lady in another car waiting but I didn't speak with her.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Just needs Skoda now to complete the set:D

And... Done. Saw a Skoda sign there over the weekend. Which is nice as I'm looking into vrs's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

franchise dealers were forced to upgrade their premises into glass palaces under EU regulations

Really?? Have you a link for that?
    I've never seen the glass palaces that doubled as car showrooms anywhere else in europe.

I think new car dealers in ireland were making more margin than anywhere else in europe so decided to go mental and borrow a ton of cash to try and have the flashiest showroom on the block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

M three wrote: »
    I've never seen the glass palaces that doubled as car showrooms anywhere else in europe.

I think new car dealers in ireland were making more margin than anywhere else in europe so decided to go mental and borrow a ton of cash to try and have the flashiest showroom on the block.

No I don't have a link but for example the common word going around was that John Maloney lost the Honda franchise a few years ago because he wouldn't move from his then premises on the Tipperary Road to a more appropriate premises. He has since regained the Honda franchise via a new premises on the Dock Road.

• Advertisement

No I don't have a link but for example the common word going around was that John Maloney lost the Honda franchise a few years ago because he wouldn't move from his then premises on the Tipperary Road to a more appropriate premises. He has since regained the Honda franchise via a new premises on the Dock Road.

Well thats a lot different from what you stated earlier which was "franchise dealers were forced to upgrade their premises into glass palaces under EU regulations"

The only people I've heard peddle that line were the dealers themselves.
    The reality was that they were making so much money, that they themselves decided to go nuts and borrow millions to build huge stupid glass showrooms.

reckless stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I worked as a quantity surveyor on the White Bishop Motors new showroom Opel had in Dublin. The directive was indeed from OPEL. They gave us a brief document on how everything had to look down to flag poles and layout. Pat White had to build it.

I think he came out in the papers after the company got liquidated and stated the amount he spent. I wont divulge that here but google it and look.

Even with massive profit margins the money both ennis road motors and white bishop spent was enough to hurt them in the down turn.

The EU regulations were more to do with waste disposal such as oil storage and access requirements for disabled users etc.

My brother was a Mechanic in Ennis Road motors: worked there since he was 16, its him and his colleagues that I feel sorry for.
    The reality was that they were making so much money, that they themselves decided to go nuts and borrow millions to build huge stupid glass showrooms.

Thats not true. The car makers gave them an ultimatum, either build it or we will give it to someone who will

cronin_j wrote: »
    I worked as a quantity surveyor on the White Bishop Motors new showroom Opel had in Dublin. The directive was indeed from OPEL. They gave us a brief document on how everything had to look down to flag poles and layout. Pat White had to build it.

I think he came out in the papers after the company got liquidated and stated the amount he spent. I wont divulge that here but google it and look.

Even with massive profit margins the money both ennis road motors and white bishop spent was enough to hurt them in the down turn.

The EU regulations were more to do with waste disposal such as oil storage and access requirements for disabled users etc.

My brother was a Mechanic in Ennis Road motors: worked there since he was 16, its him and his colleagues that I feel sorry for.

That the directive came from Opel is one thing. Bazz26 is trying to say that a lot of car dealers built huge shiny new glass showrooms because of an EU directive. Thats nonsense.
    Of course Opel would get involved, your are using there name and brand.

Agreed on the job losses. How many of these are down to over borrowing and reckless management by dealers who went nuts building massive showrooms though? Just so they could have the biggest showroom on the block.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

most of them glorified salesmen

Thats not true. The car makers gave them an ultimatum, either build it or we will give it to someone who will

And why did this not happen in france for example? Car showrooms here are nothing like the palaces that were built here.

What happened here was that dealers went and built huge showrooms in order to become main dealers. Not the other way round.

• Advertisement

That the directive came from Opel is one thing. Bazz26 is trying to say that a lot of car dealers built huge shiny new glass showrooms because of an EU directive. Thats nonsense.
    Of course Opel would get involved, your are using there name and brand.

Agreed on the job losses. How many of these are down to over borrowing and reckless management by dealers who went nuts building massive showrooms though? Just so they could have the biggest showroom on the block.

Did you not understand, the "reckless" borrowing was in fact not reckless. They would have LOST their dealerships had they not borrowed the money and built the showrooms!

Did you not understand, the "reckless" borrowing was in fact not reckless. They would have LOST their dealerships had they not borrowed the money and built the showrooms!

Of course it was reckless, I know a guy who spent 11million on a brand new massive showroom so he could get two dealerships.
    Reckless is one of the milder words he uses now that he looks back at it.

You ask most of them now, in hindsight they would have stayed small, concentrated on what they knew best - 2nd hands, repairs, and not built massive showrooms.

At least they'd still have a business. But hey it musta been great fun for you while it lasted ;)

Of course it was reckless, I know a guy who spent 11million on a brand new massive showroom so he could get two dealerships.
    Reckless is one of the milder words he uses now that he looks back at it.

You ask most of them now, in hindsight they would have stayed small, concentrated on what they knew best - 2nd hands, repairs, and not built massive showrooms.

At least they'd still have a business. But hey it musta been great fun for you while it lasted ;)
    Im not talking about guys who had to GET dealerships i am talking about the people who had dealerships but had to upgrade them because their franchise owners said they had to to keep the rights to sell their vehicles. Case in point, John Moloney in the Ballysimon road. Honda told him he had to, he said feck off, Ennis Road motors got the dealership as a result and then in the end, Honda came crawling back to John Moloney to set up their dealership in Limerick

If others borrowed money to get them when they didnt even have them, then id lump them in with all the other eegits in this country who thought spending 600k on a 3 bedroom house in the middle of nowhere was a good idea.

Im not talking about guys who had to GET dealerships i am talking about the people who had dealerships but had to upgrade them because their franchise owners said they had to to keep the rights to sell their vehicles. Case in point, John Moloney in the Ballysimon road. Honda told him he had to, he said feck off, Ennis Road motors got the dealership as a result and then in the end, Honda came crawling back to John Moloney to set up their dealership in Limerick

If others borrowed money to get them when they didnt even have them, then id lump them in with all the other eegits in this country who thought spending 600k on a 3 bedroom house in the middle of nowhere was a good idea.

Whether they didnt have a main dealership, and borrowed to get one
    or
    had a dealership and borrowed to upgrade it
    is irrelevant.
    It was all a race to the bottom but none of them realised it at the time.

And shouldnt you in a way be grateful to all the people who fueled the building boom? As a quantity surveyor an all. Biting the hand that fed you cronin j :D

Whether they didnt have a main dealership, and borrowed to get one
    or
    had a dealership and borrowed to upgrade it
    is irrelevant.
    It was all a race to the bottom but none of them realised it at the time.

And shouldnt you in a way be grateful to all the people who fueled the building boom? As a quantity surveyor an all. Biting the hand that fed you cronin j :D

I have to work in the UK now because those people who over extended themselves drove up prices etc, so ya i begrudge them. I never got involved with property speculation etc.

All my work is/was government work like Kildare route project,schools etc now that the government bailed out all the banks who lent the eegits who bought house houses on 30k salaries, the government cant afford to build schools or train projects.

Although its a little off point it is relevant, as the people who over extended themselves to buy NEW franchises shouldnt have. Those who already had the franchises had to buy them and its not irrelevant. They simply would have been pulled and been no different from back water garages who had no dealerships and sold only second hand cars.

Your friend trading up to get further over reached himself in an industry he clearly wasnt ready for.

I have to work in the UK now because those people who over extended themselves drove up prices etc, so ya i begrudge them. I never got involved with property speculation etc.

All my work is/was government work like Kildare route project,schools etc now that the government bailed out all the banks who lent the eegits who bought house houses on 30k salaries, the government cant afford to build schools or train projects.

Although its a little off point it is relevant, as the people who over extended themselves to buy NEW franchises shouldnt have. Those who already had the franchises had to buy them and its not irrelevant. They simply would have been pulled and been no different from back water garages who had no dealerships and sold only second hand cars.

Your friend trading up to get further over reached himself in an industry he clearly wasnt ready for.

I said i knew the guy, I didnt say I was friends with him.
    Even if we had the cash, we have pretty much already built all the new motorways we need. Yeah limerick to cork needs something but a dual carriageway would be a huge improvement.
    Plenty of new schools are being built now regardless.
    And didnt you say you worked as a qs on a new showroom? So why say now your work was all government?

Do you know that a serious amount of money was borrowed to pay back unsecured bondholders. That didnt need to happen and could have paid for and funded lots of the stuff we need.

You are trying to make a distinction between;
    a guy who had a garage / dealership and borrowed to upgrade it or build a new one
    and
    a guy who borrowed to build a completely new showroom just to entice a car manufacturer to partner with him.

The distinction isn't important and theres very few or none in the 2nd category.

But both were wreckless and are now costing jobs because they overreached.

I said i knew the guy, I didnt say I was friends with him.
    Even if we had the cash, we have pretty much already built all the new motorways we need. Yeah limerick to cork needs something but a dual carriageway would be a huge improvement.
    Plenty of new schools are being built now regardless.
    And didnt you say you worked as a qs on a new showroom? So why say now your work was all government?

Do you know that a serious amount of money was borrowed to pay back unsecured bondholders. That didnt need to happen and could have paid for and funded lots of the stuff we need.

You are trying to make a distinction between;
    a guy who had a garage / dealership and borrowed to upgrade it or build a new one
    and
    a guy who borrowed to build a completely new showroom just to entice a car manufacturer to partner with him.

The distinction isn't important and theres very few or none in the 2nd category.

But both were wreckless and are now costing jobs because they overreached.

Dear god, thats the most pedantic post ive had the displeasure of reading.

You have an idea in your head, its obvious your not open to changing that/ looking at it in a different light, so there is no point perpetuating this...

There is a distinction. The person who built the showroom to keep a dealership they already had and was/is making money off versus someone who tried to make a quick buck by borrowing cheap cash they could never afford in the first place to better themselves.

One was necesssity the other is greed.

Ennis road motors had to build the new showroom to keep the Opel dealership. The group that owned it lost money in their other businesses like Irish car rentals and the other place on the dock road (motorzone i think?) In the end the manager took on the business with a reciever looking over his shoulder. One day the accountants came in and said it wasnt making enough money to pay back the groups debts and closed it. The difference between that and "the person you know" is he was small, didnt have to expand like mad, over reached himself and ended up failing. Thats not what happened the other businesses.

Dear god, thats the most pedantic post ive had the displeasure of reading.

You have an idea in your head, its obvious your not open to changing that/ looking at it in a different light, so there is no point perpetuating this...

There is a distinction. The person who built the showroom to keep a dealership they already had and was/is making money off versus someone who tried to make a quick buck by borrowing cheap cash they could never afford in the first place to better themselves.

One was necesssity the other is greed.

Ok, I'll look at this is a different light if you tell me what % of "new" showrooms were;
    brand new builds by people who tried to make a quick buck and had no previous involvement on the motor industry
    and
    upgrades to existing showrooms or new builds by people already involved in the motor industry.

And try and base your answer on facts please, not some "in my opinion" nonsense.

Or is that too pedantic for you?!

Ok, I'll look at this is a different light if you tell me what % of "new" showrooms were;
    brand new builds by people who tried to make a quick buck and had no previous involvement on the motor industry
    and
    upgrades to existing showrooms or new builds by people already involved in the motor industry.

And try and base your answer on facts please, not some "in my opinion" nonsense.

Or is that too pedantic for you?!

How am i possibly to know that? We are talking about Ennis Road motors, you brought up the people who traded up who tried to take on main dealers not me.

The percentage of either one doesnt make a difference, the distinction is the same regardless if it was 10 or 1000

How am i possibly to know that? We are talking about Ennis Road motors, you brought up the people who traded up who tried to take on main dealers not me.

The percentage of either one doesnt make a difference, the distinction is the same regardless if it was 10 or 1000

Ah right, you dont have any actual figures and are coming up with a distinction based on your own opinions. Figured as much.

I'm out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Ah right, you dont have any actual figures and are coming up with a distinction based on your own opinions. Figured as much.

I'm out.

Ennis Rd Motors were faced with an ultimatum in terms of upgrading their showroom.

You realise your argument isn't relevant when it comes to Ennis Rd. Motors ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭manna452121

It looks like Hinchy will be in shortly,maybe some people will get some jobs. http://www.limerickcity.ie/eplan/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=131&LASiteID=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

buckleys in tipp town lost their renault dealership some years ago because they would/could not build a glass house, one of the brothers were for it the other was not, for a while they were getting their renaults from their cousins buckleys of moneygall, that came to an end as well, hinchys put off the glass house build for as long as possible, if they had waited another year or so they would have their costs more than halved, to this day no one has found out what they gave the local clergy for the land bought from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

snowman707 wrote: »
    Jees they were an ignorant bunch in that part's dept .. was looking for a belt for the daughter's yaris , wasn't in stock and i would have to call in and pay for it before they would order..

which definatly pointed to cash flow problems, i got a few bits for a rav4 from them early last year the same crack, but mad prices.

Advertisement