Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fiber To the (Home|Cabnet) question

• 18-07-2012 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

I was driving home yesterday, and as i was stopped at the traffic lights around the corner from my house, i noticed 2 new Green Boxes, near the old Eircom Grey boxes, which where not there a few days back... they still have the magic cordon around them (KN Network solutions is the contractor) and i am wondering: Could this be Eircom's Fiber to the Home, or UPC? We already have UPC in the area (Balrothery Estate, Tallaght) and i know there is more Fiber running around the estate than most datacenters... Anyone know? I will try get a photo on the way home tonight...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If next door to a grey box them probably. It was not announced that they were doing Tallaght/Newlands but a few boxes may well be deployed on the sly to deal with congestion 'issues' or where UPC is murdering them wholesale.

The BIG problem with eircom VDSL in Dublin is that your House Alarm will no longer work. :)

I know eircom are discussing limited VDSL deployments in areas where they do not intend to do a full exchange area but do wish to discuss spot upgrades inside those exchange areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

The Eircom line in the house was next to useless when we had it, so fingers crossed it is an upgrade... by the way, next to useless means Magnet gave me 24mb... the line gave me 6... Eircom tried to "fix" the line, and "fix" it they did... in the sense you get your dog Fixed... Down to 3... it would be interesting to see what happens in the next while...

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The BIG problem with eircom VDSL in Dublin is that your House Alarm will no longer work. :)

Is it just Eircom Managed Alarms, or ALL Managed Alarms?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Most use dialup. Owners are forced into buying expensive GSM modules for them after VDSL provisioning...sometimes costing €200.

The good news is, no line rental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

UPC works with monitored alarm systems even though the alarm company's claim that it does not,would eircom's VDSL not be the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bit embarrassing for phone watch if their alarms didn't work during a power cut or when someone caused one. Surely there would be insurance implications

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

UPC works with monitored alarm systems even though the alarm company's claim that it does not,would eircom's VDSL not be the same?

Oh course it will sure they cant tell everyone to get new phones. They will plug into the modem just like the upc ones so eircoms alarms will work fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Doylers wrote: »
    Oh course it will sure they cant tell everyone to get new phones. They will plug into the modem just like the upc ones so eircoms alarms will work fine
    Until the electricity supply to the modem is cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Until the electricity supply to the modem is cut off.

GSM unit would still go too if power was cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The GSM units that are inserted into the alarm panel itself would still be supplied off the built-in backup battery, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

Nothing saying you couldn't but the modem on a UPS you can get them quite cheap now.

So, sorry for the delay in posting the photo, but here it is:

-> http://db.tt/5XOTAUjT

Also, while driving in the other day, the grey box, nearest to the 2 new Green/Brown (Im color blind) has now been "upgraded" and is the same color... not sure what is in it mind you... Also, when the work was being done, the lads working on it where KN Network services, which i have heard are being contracted to Eircom to do the Fiber Roll out... Fingers crossed...

OK, so i got into the estate this evening, and there are works on-going... i have not seen any of the vans doing said work, and there is no mention of "we are screwing up your access to the estate on behalf of" notices around, but i have the suspicion of it being either Eircom or UPC... Now, if its UPC, i would be surprised since the area already has a metric crap tonne of fibre in there... but if its Eircom, how do i know if its Fiber to the home or to the Cabinet? they seem to be running something to the top of each road, a-la the way UPC do it... is this the Cabinet they talk about? If so, that's a VERY short distance for copper... and if its is that close, why not fibre? Again, this is all just speculation, since i am not around during the day to see who is ripping up the road... I have asked the parents to see what name is on the side of the van... Might find out today... mind you, since UPC just upgraded my 2 connections to a total of 250Mb/s i wont be moving any time soon, but getting a third connection, if fast enough, may be interesting... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

probally contractor is running subduct to a point where it will branch out to different cabs.
    Eircom will more than likely pull the fibre through the subduct ,,,and from what i hear 1000 mtrs in less than an hour.

mobil 222 wrote: »
    probally contractor is running subduct to a point where it will branch out to different cabs.
    Eircom will more than likely pull the fibre through the subduct ,,,and from what i hear 1000 mtrs in less than an hour.

You may be right... seen one of the signs and its from Sierra Communications on behalf of someone, and it looks, but have not confirmed, that the someone is Dublin City Council... i was driving by and couldn't stop, so couldn't fully confirm...

Advertisement