Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employment Law Question - work hours being changed

• 18-07-2012 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

For the last 4 years I have been working shift.
    It equates to an average of (3x12hr) shifts a week. 8am-8pm and vice versa.

This is the job I signed up for, as I knew I would have plenty of time off.

Currently management and thinking and trying to change the working hours to a swing shift , which would involve (4x10hr) and 10am-8pm and 4pm-12am and all weird shifts.

My question is, although I understand they can probably do this, Do I have a right to refuse to work these new hours ?

With relation to working hours, my contract that I signed in 2008 says
    Working Hours

While you work shifts you will attract an additional 18% shift allowance. The Data Centre is covered 365 days per annum, 24 hours a day and you will be rostered accordingly.

There will be a half-hour unpaid lunch break and two fifteen minute paid tea breaks each day. However, you will be required to be flexible and to work additional hours when necessary. Payment for overtime work is governed by the current practice in the firm.

All help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Anyone ? please ?

Even a suggestion on how to get this clarified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Firstly will the shifts have at least 11 hours between them and one 35 hour break every 7 days. Thats the one employers normally forget about.

Beyond that I can only go by what I was taught as a retail manager (not exactly copper bottomed) that if someone was working the same hours for a number of weeks it became their contract though custom and practice and they had to agree to change them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭DiamondDave88

you should contact NERA they are usually helpful; http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Yes actually that ^^

And join a union.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Thanks for the reply,

I sent off a mail to them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement