Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets discuss 'knackers' shall we?.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

and your point is...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Makikomi, I've just read the last line of your op - how mods see the use of the word in future. A knacker in its proper context is a rag and bone man who went place to place collecting scrap. It is purely abusive and descriptive but not in the cnut / choc ice category.
    An above poster highlighted the difference between its usage in city and country. Calling someone a knacker in West Limerick is far different than doing it in Dublin.
    As for the use of choc-ice ...it is a chocolate coated ice cream delic...oh look, I've fallen asllleeeeeep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Years ago if you seen people all dirty or looking dishevelled you would say your like a knacker, In other words get cleaned up. Afaik its not used as much now. that i hear anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Don't know, but can this label be used for both genders?

And as every label, people tend to use, it's all about personal preferences, for example how to describe, what unacceptable behavior is.

Women, standing on the footpath, wearing dressing gowns and flip-flops, shouting all over the place for whatever reason...that would be a no-go for me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dd972 wrote: »
    and your point is...

Don't post in this thread again.

Ok guys, re the thread.

On occasion a poster is reported for using/posting the word 'knacker', almost each and every time I've checked its context its been used to describe scumbag behaviour (apart from the Smithfield horsefiar thread awhile back).

This thread is really just for my own curiosity, I'm not going to get too bogged down in it as I know there are people chomping at the bit to bring it off topic and broaden its discussion.

Thanks for the short insight guys, seems' most of us are on a par with its Dublin use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I grew up calling 'travellers' knackers . For me back then it was simply a word to identify them with no derogatory undertone - had several friends who were knackers and they would readily describe themselves as such .
    Obviously there were haters too who despised that community and would use the word with contempt but in my mind's eye that was a contempt of the people - those same haters would have used the word 'traveller' with the same distaste if that were the vernacular .

These days I still consider travellers to be knackers but dont use the word much outside of talking to old friends as it has changed to a purely derogatory term - just another subcategory of scumbag to pluck unimaginatively from the air IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Same as OP. Used it more to describe travellers when I was a kid in the 80s now usually to describe a certain type of troublemaker of any class.

Don't often use it for travellers these days but to be completely honest, I would not be offended by it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I use the word knacker to describe dirty people, not just normal dirty but pure filthy dirty. They smell as though they have smeared themselves in the feces of multiple organisms. They are usually travellers so the word knacker is mostly reserved for those gypsies that live in caravans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 Banditoo MC

Knacker = Traveller.

Skanger = tracksuit wearing dutch gold drinking fool.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The term knacker could also be used to describe somebody without a shred of decency..for example..somebody pissing in the street could be referred to as a knacker as it could also apply to somebody who would rob a trocaire box,for example.

• Advertisement

Knacker = Traveller.

Thanks for your honesty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

ror_74 wrote: »
    None of these words should be used. They serve no purpose other than to further alienate people/ groups and reinforce stereotypes. 'Skobes' is another one. Funnily enough, when those words are used to describe people it is the person using them them that ends up being closer to that which they are attempting to deride - the ignorant pouring derision upon the ignorant. We would be better off framing our concerns from the point of view of inequality and poverty..

good jesus:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

god squad floating around

Syllabus wrote: »
    good jesus:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

god squad floating around

Just leave it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I think sometimes people's definition of a knacker highlights how poncey they THEMSELVES are.

For example I have had a few friends over the years who would judge someone because they wore a tracksuit. Or a football jersey. Can you believe i once left an Ireland match and had an absolute cúnt i used to know go on about how loads of people were wearing football jerseys in town, when I met him after.

Not to drift away from the op just wanted to highlight the absolute level of falseness going down.

i don't use the word myself. I do think of it as the insult for the original understanding i had growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Knacker = Traveller.

Hey, go easy on Dutch Gold. The day before dole day, ye'd be happy for a can of this pish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... And keep it bloody well civil people!....
    Exceptional moderation skills displayed there.
    ... I'm not including a pole ....
    Just as well as you might be accused of being racist - or did you mean "poll".

Threads like this have had a tendency to go very wrong in the past and I just wonder if an ordinary Joe (or Josie) had started it would it have been allowed to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I want to add to what I said earlier after someone else mentioned about a knacker 'tache.

Yeah, I still would use it to describe a "little scumbag with a knacker 'tache".

Just like I'd still call it knacker drinking.

But as to how it got from travellers = knackers to "knacker drinking", I'm not sure.

My thoughts would be that it became more of a use for the skanger/scumbag types and since drinking on the canal was a stereotype of those, it got known as knacker drinking.

mathepac wrote: »
    Exceptional moderation skills displayed there.

Just as well as you might be accused of being racist - or did you mean "poll".

Threads like this have had a tendency to go very wrong in the past and I just wonder if an ordinary Joe (or Josie) had started it would it have been allowed to continue.

Take a read of THIS from this forum's charter.

You are on the lower end of this offence and won't be infracted or banned this time, but your cards are marked. Do this again and you'll get a lengthy ban.

Everyone else, thanks for for your input/feedback and keeping a lid on things. I realise these topics can get a little heated.

I might require some more input on different matters while I look at changing and updating the forum's charter.

Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement