Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question on the GTX 670

Options
  • 18-07-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭

I have an MSI P76A-GD65 motherboard with a GTX 460 at the moment. Im thinking about upgrading to a 670.

My question is the 670 is a PCI-E 3.0 card but my motherboard only goes up to 2.0.

Will this be a problem? Will it even work?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

It'll be fine. See here.

You won't get 3.0 rates, but the max of 2.0 specs. It will work, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

It'll be fine. See here.

You won't get 3.0 rates, but the max of 2.0 specs. It will work, however.

3.0 rates? What do you mean?

@OP yes the GTX 670 will work perfectly, and you won't be bottlenecked at all. Modern GPUs cannot saturate all of the PCIe 2.0 bandwidth yet, so for single card setups PCIe 3.0 is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Pcie 3.0 is for making bigger e-penis OP. i would not be bothered about it at all.

i use gtx 680 on pcie 2.0 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Cheers lads. Ill see if I can find a buyer for my 460 and pick up the 670 so!!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭spr1nt3r

dazftw wrote: »
    Cheers lads. Ill see if I can find a buyer for my 460 and pick up the 670 so!!

Second here for no issues with PCI Express 2.0. However, I am shopping around for GPU myself and found this:
    GPU W@Max Performance Price
    GTX570 1.25x
    GTX670 1.4x 1.7x

Question is.. Is the 1.4x performance worth 1.7x price considering 1.25x lowering of system power consumption? This is an aggregate comparison. Am sure there are particular games/software titles where differences are less/more dramatic.

• Advertisement

Don't be looking at performance per price value at high end Gpus. It will only upset you.
    If you want value for money you have to look at 6870 7850 7870.

Don't be looking at performance per price value at high end Gpus. It will only upset you.

AMD is out of question for me since I need CUDA support for Adobe package and I do like to use PhysX in games that support it (whether it is just a gimmick or not).

Also 6870 7850 7870 perform on a par with GTX 570, cost as much and are slightly better on power consumption and temperatures (though temp. gap narrower when using the likes of Gigabyte Windforce). And.. no CUDA support.
    GTX 560 Ti 448 also looks very attractive option but the price gap between it and GTX 570 is just €20 so..

There is not much value per performance gotten in nvidia side now. If you do need nvidia, you won't be playing on higher then 1080p then your best bet is gtx 570 with some nice cooler. If you got some extra cash to spare and don't mind spending more then you get, then gtx 670 is a lovely package.

There is not much value per performance gotten in nvidia side now. If you do need nvidia, you won't be playing on higher then 1080p then your best bet is gtx 570 with some nice cooler. If you got some extra cash to spare and don't mind spending more then you get, then gtx 670 is a lovely package.

There's also GTX 660 that is coming in ~ months time. I currently have GTX 550Ti. It does the job and all games run on High at 720p and Medium on 1080p. So.. Can last a little bit. Plus there are no titles bar Diablo III (not paying €40 for it anyway) that I would need higher performance GPU for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭conor360

spr1nt3r wrote: »
    There's also GTX 660 that is coming in ~ months time. I currently have GTX 550Ti. It does the job and all games run on High at 720p and Medium on 1080p. So.. Can last a little bit. Plus there are no titles bar Diablo III (not paying €40 for it anyway) that I would need higher performance GPU for.

what will be the differences from a 560 to a 660?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The Adobe software won't support OpenCL?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

conor360 wrote: »
    what will be the differences from a 560 to a 660?
    It's hard to tell since it's not released yet and there are no reviews of it. But according to the (leaked?) specs it's basically a GTX 670 with it's memory bandwidth reduced so it should give almost 670 performance. If this is true the 660 ti will destroy a 560 ti.

Again not released so we don't know the pricing of the 660 ti, I would guess based on the pricing of all new gen cards so far that it will come in at a higher price than the 560 ti, I would hazard a guess of €250+. And one final thing it's not due for release until August 16th so it's still a few weeks away. We might get a few reviews of the card before release date though, if your willing to wait.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    It's hard to tell since it's not released yet and there are no reviews of it. But according to the (leaked?) specs it's basically a GTX 670 with it's memory bandwidth reduced so it should give almost 670 performance. If this is true the 660 ti will destroy a 560 ti.

Again not released so we don't know the pricing of the 660 ti, I would guess based on the pricing of all new gen cards so far that it will come in at a higher price than the 560 ti, I would hazard a guess of €250+. And one final thing it's not due for release until August 16th so it's still a few weeks away. We might get a few reviews of the card before release date though, if your willing to wait.

Knowing NVidia here is what should happen:
    GTX 570 already costs ~ same as GTX 560Ti 448;
    GTX 670 costs €415 and shouldn't go for less than €370-380 in months to come;
    GTX 660Ti when it's finally out and if it is just reduced bandwidth will cost only ~€50 less. And that is well over €300 IMO.

Unless ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte are sitting on a pile of NVidia GTX 660 GPUs already (or will they simply alter GTX 670?) I don't see any good designs or competitive pricing until late August. And when they do the price will be well above €300. Otherwise GTX 670 price is plummeting some time soon. Hardly this is going to happen keeping in mind AMD policy.

Benefits of GTX 660 are quite a few - lower temp, smaller size, less power hungry - all that translates in cooler components in the case and longer life (also more eco friendly). Plus add decent performance. On the other hand GTX 570 can be had for ~€220-250 even for high end OC custom models right now. Performance wise GTX 570 is only 1.4x slower than GTX 670, so should be around 1.25x slower than GTX 660Ti when it comes out. Price/performance ratio should be the same.

I personally will wait for GTX 660 since I don't game much and have GTX 550Ti anyway. For new builds I would highly recommend GTX 570 Gigabyte 3 fan whatever_the_name_is OC edition (scan.co.uk sells them for ~€250 delivered).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Knowing NVidia here is what should happen:
    GTX 570 already costs ~ same as GTX 560Ti 448;
    GTX 670 costs €415 and shouldn't go for less than €370-380 in months to come;
    GTX 660Ti when it's finally out and if it is just reduced bandwidth will cost only ~€50 less. And that is well over €300 IMO.

Unless ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte are sitting on a pile of NVidia GTX 660 GPUs already (or will they simply alter GTX 670?) I don't see any good designs or competitive pricing until late August. And when they do the price will be well above €300. Otherwise GTX 670 price is plummeting some time soon. Hardly this is going to happen keeping in mind AMD policy.

Benefits of GTX 660 are quite a few - lower temp, smaller size, less power hungry - all that translates in cooler components in the case and longer life (also more eco friendly). Plus add decent performance. On the other hand GTX 570 can be had for ~€220-250 even for high end OC custom models right now. Performance wise GTX 570 is only 1.4x slower than GTX 670, so should be around 1.25x slower than GTX 660Ti when it comes out. Price/performance ratio should be the same.

I personally will wait for GTX 660 since I don't game much and have GTX 550Ti anyway. For new builds I would highly recommend GTX 570 Gigabyte 3 fan whatever_the_name_is OC edition (scan.co.uk sells them for ~€250 delivered).

I wouldn't recommend a 570 any more, there's better out there. Could get a 7870 for the same price or a 7850 for less, both of which are better cards (7850 and 570 are about even, but the lower power consumption & more VRAM of the 7850 edge it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I wouldn't recommend a 570 any more, there's better out there. Could get a 7870 for the same price or a 7850 for less, both of which are better cards (7850 and 570 are about even, but the lower power consumption & more VRAM of the 7850 edge it)

I only recently bought a gigabyte gtx670 from hwvs for €380.
    Just had a look now, and the gigabyte gtx570 costs €278.

I'm pretty sure 36% price increase was worth the performance difference of a 600 over the 500 series card? :confused:

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    I only recently bought a gigabyte gtx670 from hwvs for €380.
    Just had a look now, and the gigabyte gtx570 costs €278.

I'm pretty sure 36% price increase was worth the performance difference of a 600 over the 500 series card? :confused:

Well.. Rule #1 don't look back. You have current generation card that will last.

Here are the benefits:
    Lower power consumption
    Less heat
    Better performance per watt
    Less noise (depends on design)
    Other power / performance tweaks
    Easier to sell in future (compared to GTX 570)

Drawbacks:
    Price at the moment (GTX 570 Gigabyte 3 Cooler OC actually sells for around €250 if you look around; delivered); price/performance ratio not as good as GTX 570

I would be glad to go for GTX 670 as well but just for the fun of it I wonder if I wait what will GTX 660Ti will bring. You shouldn't be worried though.

As for AMD cards - I have noticed that the price doesn't keep as good over time so you loose on resale. Also no CUDA support so for me a total NO NO. If you only game then makes no difference really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

Well.. Rule #1 don't look back. You have current generation card that will last.

Here are the benefits:
    Lower power consumption
    Less heat
    Better performance per watt
    Less noise (depends on design)
    Other power / performance tweaks
    Easier to sell in future (compared to GTX 570)

Drawbacks:
    Price at the moment (GTX 570 Gigabyte 3 Cooler OC actually sells for around €250 if you look around; delivered); price/performance ratio not as good as GTX 570

I would be glad to go for GTX 670 as well but just for the fun of it I wonder if I wait what will GTX 660Ti will bring. You shouldn't be worried though.

As for AMD cards - I have noticed that the price doesn't keep as good over time so you loose on resale. Also no CUDA support so for me a total NO NO. If you only game then makes no difference really.

hah, originally I was looking at what parts to get for the new PC back in early April, if I'd bought back then I would've ended up getting the gtx680 with worse price/performance ratio & would be feeling pissed off now :D

hah, originally I was looking at what parts to get for the new PC back in early April, if I'd bought back then I would've ended up getting the gtx680 with worse price/performance ratio & would be feeling pissed off now :D

You would have the fastest GPU though so.. Not that much of a loss. While they are overpriced they do stay that way and there is a market for them.

I bought my 680 back in April. Never looked back. Why? Because at least once in my life I want to have a most powerful gpu in the market ( I don't count in dual gpu cards )
    Even now I love it, yes it is shiet in value aspect, but it's still a highest end card. It's like jaguar owners can say: " it's okay, I got jeeeeaaaaaaaaaag" in most smugiest voice. :D

• Advertisement

Until an Aston Martin driver shows up :D :P

Until an Aston Martin driver shows up :D :P

Jag is still a jag :D

I loved the comment made by Clarkson about the XK (IIRC) and it's relevant when considering components.

"Keep it below 130mph or so and you'll love it".

Advertisement