Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timetables DT343

Options
  • 18-07-2012 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

hi all ,
    starting this degree course in September as a mature student (27 , am a fossil lol) . ....checking out the timetables on DIT website , does anyone know does there be much changes each year in the timetables ?? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Xrox

I wasn't on that course but Timetables usually change completely year on year.

DIT is woeful with timetables we didnt have a set one (about 80% set never became fully locked down) last year till well after October, the lecturers timetables getting updated/changed and our courses being changed to something different making us be in different palces at different times (missed alot of classes).

Second semester was better as we (students & lecturers) disregarded the timetable made by DIT and organised our classes and rooms. We had it set within 2 weeks.

And you aint old i'm done this year and i'm 33 now started college at 30 ;-) and there is older than me so youll be grand in that regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

Hey ... thanks for that , nice to know I won't be only one with a buss pass lol ! .... bit worrying about the timetables , hope they don't mess us around too much ....go with the flow anyway ! ...How did you find DIT anyway ? , would you recommend it?

Ive gone to college in UL, ITB and DIT and i'm sorry to say i would rank DIT the bottom of those three for organisation, lecturers and athmosphere. Hopefully this will all change when they move to Grangegorman and cut out all the deadwood (there is alot of it).

Dont let all its negatives put you off, as like most things you get out of it wht you put into it i.e. get with your classmates to try and lock the lecturers down to a timetable early (even if it means finding empty rooms and hijacking them), work around the lecturers that are there to get a paycheck or whos own education is too outdated to be relevent and try to mix with your class early and youll be fine.

A strong class rep will stand to you in the long run, Id suggest you do it yourself if your so inclined so lecturers and classmates will have to get to know who you are and will put you in a great position if you experience problems yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭madcharlie

Yup, I had heard a few mixed reviews about DIT, but like you said "its what you put in..." I haven't been in college since i was 19 so it might work in my favour that I don't have a lot to compare it to :o
    ....The whole class rep thing, I wouldn't mind getting involved, but is there an awful lot of extra work involved?? I like getting involved but I won't if I know i can't commit to it 100%. How did you find the job prospects with your course upon graduation, or will you be heading across water ?

Regards the class rep thing you can get as deep into it as youd like i.e. joining the students union etc. but your main job is just to talk to lecturers, pass on messages and bring students problems to the lecturer in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 purewanderer

When does the college year actually start each year? Doesn't have to be exact, just thereabouts. Like to have an idea cause I don't want to move up to Dublin too early but would like to start looking for places fairly soon before most people.

This is a link to the college calendar.

http://www.dit.ie/academicaffairsandregistrar/calendar/

Advertisement