Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar Work In Oz?

Options
  • 18-07-2012 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hey all,

Thinking of moving to Oz in November and wondering what the story is with bar jobs there?

Ill be honest, I havent worked in a bar (apart from doing some PR work in Spain in 09) but would like to give it a shot as the hours and type of job appeals to me.

I have experience in Pharmacy, Office Work, Web & Graphic design and have a Diploma in Gym Instruction also, but hate the 9-5 work day -- as Im more of a night owl!

Please share your experiences! Cheers! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Get some experience pulling a beer before you head over, it will be invaluable looking for a job when you get over there, a bluffer will soon be exposed, if you have a local be a cheeky bugger and just put it by them, dont ask for a job just ask for the experience.
    silverwex wrote: »
    have a Diploma in Gym Instruction also, but hate the 9-5 work day -- as Im more of a night owl!

A few of the bigger gyms are open 24/7 in Oz so you can still use this and be a night owl, just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

silverwex wrote: »
    Hey all,

Thinking of moving to Oz in November and wondering what the story is with bar jobs there?

Ill be honest, I havent worked in a bar (apart from doing some PR work in Spain in 09) but would like to give it a shot as the hours and type of job appeals to me.

I have experience in Pharmacy, Office Work, Web & Graphic design and have a Diploma in Gym Instruction also, but hate the 9-5 work day -- as Im more of a night owl!

Please share your experiences! Cheers! :)

Loads of bar work in Melbourne. Learn how to pull a pint in your local and once your friendly and work hard they'll think your the bees knees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭larchielads

how much does bar work pay in oz or does it depend where you are sydney/melbourne /perth etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

expect about $20 ph in the cities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

At least it's a change from building houses.

You'll probably be pulling more pints of Guinness over there than you'd ever do here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

Cheers guys, have pulled a few pints in my time alright (45 degree angle and all that) so thats no problem! :)

Great info as per usual!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

expect about $20 ph in the cities

That's about right.

Keep in mind if you work in a hotel they are more likely to do everything by the book. So you'll get your superannuation (9% is what I got) 25% extra on Saturday and 50% extra on a Sunday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

If your going to be working in QLD, you will need to complete an RSA course before you can work in a bar AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If your going to be working in QLD, you will need to complete an RSA course before you can work in a bar AFAIK.
    Applies in every state afaik.
    Also, since most bars have a pokies somewhere. You'll also need to go a RGS course. It's possible to do the two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Going by my recent experience, most only seem to want girls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement