Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Cut the dole' they say: What the IMF wants, the IMF gets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Jame Gumb wrote: »
    Apply to Dino's in Terenure.

Wait, aren't you the guy who suggested biking through the city at 2/3AM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Brutal Deluxe what exactly are you looking for in a job?

Just for the record what types of jobs are you looking for and what exactly are your qualifications?

Also how old are you? I'm just curious to understand your position in the job market currently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

Apply to Dino's in Terenure.

No, but I don't see any issue with cycling through Terenure at 3am.

Is that the latest excuse for not taking a job?

It's not f..king Beirut we're living in!

Apply to Dino's in Terenure. Pretty sure that Eddie Rockets are looking for people too.

I have a lot of friends from Brazil, Venezuela, Italy and Spain who are here learning English that would gladly apply for these jobs.

I'll be sure to pass the info onto to them.

I do. Then again I'm sure a lovely bike ride into D.1 at 3AM when the nice fights are in action is a suitable job hazard.

• Advertisement

CucaFace wrote: »
    Apply to Dino's in Terenure. Pretty sure that Eddie Rockets are looking for people too.

I have a lot of friends from Brazil, Venezuela, Italy and Spain who are here learning English that would gladly apply for these jobs.

I'll be sure to pass the info onto to them.

More power to them.

Here to better themselves and not afraid of a bit of hard graft.

Meanwhile we've become a nation of lazy decadent f..kwits. Sad really.

PayPal couldn't fill 500 of those 1,000 jobs that they created because Irish people don't have the language skills. How many people on the dole ate learning a foreign language? Not many I'm guessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

job in local take away

includes flak jacket...christ all mighty jesus.

More power to them.

PayPal couldn't fill 500 of those 1,000 jobs that they created because Irish people don't have the language skills. How many people on the dole ate learning a foreign language? Not many I'm guessing.

Heh, hardgraft.

Come back to me when those jobs offer full time employment instead of less than what I get on the dole.

Inb4:you should work even if it gives you less money.

I do. Then again I'm sure a lovely bike ride into D.1 at 3AM when the nice fights are in action is a suitable job hazard.

Terenure to D1...a veritable journey across the killing fields alright. Sounds like a feeble excuse for not applying for a job to me...dole cut by 50% and put to the back of the queue...NEXT

Terenure to D1...a veritable journey across the killing fields alright. Sounds like a feeble excuse for not applying for a job to me...dole cut by 50% and put to the back of the queue...NEXT

Tell you what, when they offer me the job and I refuse it, then we'll do that.

Till then I'm obeying the rules.

I love how insulting some people are towards anyone who doesn't want to take a horrible job. Yes, cycling around at 3AM through the streets of Dublin is a horrible job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

More power to them.

Heh, hardgraft.

Come back to me when those jobs offer full time employment instead of less than what I get on the dole.

Inb4:you should work even if it gives you less money.

Which brings us neatly back to the incentive issue

More power to them.

Heh, hardgraft.

Ah, the kernel of the argument.

You actually don't want to work because your dole's too high.

Your dole should be cut to approximately 50% of what you'd make from one of these jobs that you're happy to turn your nose up at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Why is it whenever I see a thread on unemployment on Boards, there are always posters claiming that the jobs crisis isn't real because "There are jobs in such-and-such an establishment down the road from me." Yeah, because the local Eddie Rocket's has a "Staff Wanted" sign in the window, there's no crisis...congrats, unlike the Govt, the EU, the IMF, and a raft of independent expert commentators and analysts, you've figured it all out, because you saw some signs in a few fast food joints and cafe windows. Don't be ****ing stupid.

No, it wouldn't. Considering for a good while I was on 90 euro a week, I wouldn't care.

You know why? Because at the end of the day, I follow the rules. If you were incharge, yes, we can get your "work jobs I demand you to or piss off out of the country to work".

But luckily, you're not incharge so you can bitch and moan at me all you like but at the end of the day (again), I'm perfectly content.

Tell you what, when they offer me the job and I refuse it, then we'll do that.

Till then I'm obeying the rules.

I love how insulting some people are towards anyone who doesn't want to take a horrible job. Yes, cycling around at 3AM through the streets of Dublin is a horrible job.

Your benefits should actually be cut to zero.

This thread is full of posts referring to scroungers, people milking the system, people who prefer to be on the dole and people who refuse to work.

Unfortunately, that's you.

Apply for the job in the chipper and take it if you get it. If you don't, you're a disgrace.

Your benefits should actually be cut to zero.

This thread is full of posts referring to scroungers, people milking the system, people who prefer to be on the dole and people who refuse to work.

Unfortunately, that's you.

Apply for the job in the chipper and take it if you get it. If you don't, you're a disgrace.

Well thats your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Kinski wrote: »
    Why is it whenever I see a thread on unemployment on Boards, there are always posters claiming that the jobs crisis isn't real because "There are jobs in such-and-such an establishment down the road from me." Yeah, because the local Eddie Rocket's has a "Staff Wanted" sign in the window, there's no crisis...congrats, unlike the Govt, the EU, the IMF, and a raft of independent expert commentators and analysts, you've figured it all out, because you saw some signs in a few fast food joints and cafe windows. Don't be ****ing stupid.

when there's 26k jobs and 1k jobs been created a week and we're still having to go outside ireland to get skilled workers this is not a job crisis it's a skills crisis.

people need to upskill and start taking the jobs that are there.

puffishoes wrote: »
    when there's 26k jobs and 1k jobs been created a week and we're still having to go outside ireland to get skilled workers this is not a job crisis it's a skills crisis.

people need to upskill and start taking the jobs that are there.

List these 4K jobs in the last 4 weeks.

I'm perfectly content.

Which says it all really.

If anyone is content to be on the dole, it's clear that the system is deeply flawed.

People should be clawing to get off the dole and back into the workplace.

If they're not, the system must be radically altered.

If anyone is content to be on the dole, it's clear that the system is deeply flawed.

content that the rest of the country is out working hard to pay your way and to be happy to sit around watching jeremy kyle as your life and future goes down the toilet.

and call it content?

what is wrong with this bloody country

• Advertisement

@kinski

The employment situation obviously isn't going to be solved by the jobs that are available in the fast food sector.

But their availability is a symptom of the deeper and wider problem - That many unemployed Irish people see themselves as being above such roles.

No unemployed person should be above working in a fast food outlet. And as for stuff like "it's not safe to get from Terenure to Dublin 1 at 3am"? Any inspector worth his salt should write "cut benefits by 50% across the file of such a person.

Oh I never said that. I said I'm content. My apologies that I'm not suffering and eating the scraps of food from the plates of people with jobs or I'm not having to buy X brand junkfood from Lidl.

I am content in knowing that I am not breaking any rules and I am content to remain that way until I find a job.
    puffishoes wrote: »
    content that the rest of the country is out working hard to pay your way and to be happy to sit around watching jeremy kyle as your life and future goes down the toilet.

and call it content?

what is wrong with this bloody country

Didn't you block me?

I don't watch that show.

But yes, I'm content in not breaking the rules and looking for a job.

As for what is wrong, I'd wager it's people not having a clue about the dole and people begrudging everyone on it.
    @kinski

The employment situation obviously isn't going to be solved by the jobs that are available in the fast food sector.

But their availability is a symptom of the deeper and wider problem - That many unemployed Irish people see themselves as being above such roles.

No unemployed person should be above working in a fast food outlet.

Ooh Teacher! Over here!

What about the times I tried handing in a CV to these places and they refuse to take them?

Brutal Deluxe you are exctaly the type of waster that gives all the other's who actually need the dole a bad name.

Chances are you wouldn't even be capable of holding down that job in the chippers anyway.

Or even cycling a bike to get there.

I really hope something is done to tackle the scourge you and your likes are to this country.

@kinski

No unemployed person should be above working in a fast food outlet.

and that it's obviously not worth there while to leave their little handy number on the SW as the payments are too high.

Brutal Deluxe you are exctaly the type of waster that gives all the other's who actually need the dole a bad name.

Chances are you wouldn't even be capable of holding down that job in the chippers anyway.

Or even cycling a bike to get there.

I really hope something is done to tackle the scourge you and your likes are to this country.

The bike bit might be correct, I haven't ridden on in years.

But yeah, call me a waster but I follow the rules so... I'm not a waster and the SW don't think of me either.

Feel free to insult me though. I don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I take it that's a No then, very few are for cutting the social, ye must think ye live in a democracy ? It is going to happen, taking Labour a while to swallow their vomit but it will happen, as will the croke park agreement have to disappear , we are bust, simple as

I'm content in not breaking the rules and looking for a job

The rules should therefore be changed so you cannot milk the system while looking for the job of your dreams and turning down less prestigious roles in the meantime.

The IMF are right...beggars cannot be choosers...you need to realise that and if you don't then you need to be forced to realise that by having your benefits slashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Brutal Deluxe, are you too overly qualified for these jobs in your opinion or why would you not take one to get off the cycle of the dole?

The rules should therefore be changed so you cannot milk the system while looking for the job of your dreams and turning down less prestigious roles in the meantime.

The IMF are right...beggars cannot be choosers...you need to realise that and if you don't then you need to be forced to realise that by having your benefits slashed.

No, hang a fúcking minute. YOU need to realize that I am not a robot. Nobody is. You don't get to say "well, he won't cycle out to some place at 3AM and go through the streets filled with fights and drunken idiots, clearly he has it too good".

But sure, I'm waiting on my lovely dream job.

And in this dream job I'll be making more money than I get currently. And I really milk the system. Good idea, I might try getting some free sleeping pills and sell them.

Grow up and realize you're just on your high horse and have no idea how it is on the bottom rung.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

Just close this thread. Every social welfare thread always ends up like this. AH is supposed to be light hearted banter.

scdublin wrote: »
    Brutal Deluxe, are you too overly qualified for these jobs in your opinion or why would you not take one to get off the cycle of the dole?
    Heh, overly qualified. Sorry, but that did make me smile :P
    I think anyone who says that should be shot.

I don't mind any job (bar comission only ones, for obvious reasons). I also won't take one that won't give me as much money as I get currently. I mean if I'm being told "you need lunch, travel fair, etc" and you'll make between 100-150 a week (at best), there's no point in taking it.

It's not a case of "it's too much on the dole". It's a case of "there isn't enough jobs that want workers that earn good money". Good money to me is anything 300 or more a week which is less than full time but a lot more than the dole. At least on minimum wage?

No, hang a fúcking minute. YOU need to realize that I am not a robot. Nobody is. You don't get to say "well, he won't cycle out to some place at 3AM and go through the streets filled with fights and drunken idiots, clearly he has it too good".

But sure, I'm waiting on my lovely dream job.

And in this dream job I'll be making more money than I get currently. And I really milk the system. Good idea, I might try getting some free sleeping pills and sell them.

Grow up and realize you're just on your high horse and have no idea how it is on the bottom rung.

How Irish.

You aren't on the bottom rung if you're happy to dismiss a job 'cause it'd involve the terrible hardship of a 15 minute cycle at 3am.

O me miserum...woe is me.

The lads who worked 60 hours a week in Kilburn or NYC are probably turnIng in their graves.

The dole should never be an option, only a last resort. For you, it's an option and that sir reflects very badly on you.

How Irish.

You aren't on the bottom rung if you're happy to dismiss a job 'cause it'd involve the terrible hardship of a 15 minute cycle at 3am.

O me miserum...woe is me.

The lads who worked 60 hours a week in Kilburn or NYC are probably turnIng in their graves.

The dole should never be an option, only a last resort. For you, it's an option and that sir reflects very badly on you.

Lucky you're not incharge of the rules then. But you can say it's an option for me. My other option is to go door to door selling things.

Heh, overly qualified. Sorry, but that did make me smile :P
    I think anyone who says that should be shot.

I don't mind any job (bar comission only ones, for obvious reasons). I also won't take one that won't give me as much money as I get currently. I mean if I'm being told "you need lunch, travel fair, etc" and you'll make between 100-150 a week (at best), there's no point in taking it.

It's not a case of "it's too much on the dole". It's a case of "there isn't enough jobs that want workers that earn good money". Good money to me is anything 300 or more a week which is less than full time but a lot more than the dole. At least on minimum wage?

Apply for the job in Dino's.

Presumably you'll get at least the minimum wage (€8.65?)? You might also get free or discounted food.

A standard 38 hour week should yield you €300 a week after deductions and you'll have the self respect from working rather than leeching.

Presumably you'll get at least the minimum wage (€8.65?)? You might also get free or discounted food.

A standard 38 hour week should yield you €300 a week after deductions and you'll have the self respect from working rather than leeching.

You had me till the bolded part.

I like how you think I'm leeching. But hey, I'm done. I know you hate me. I know you think I'm scum/leech/scrounger/etc.

But you can guarantee I follow the rules. I don't try to con more than I deserve.

So that's that. I can't say anything that'll help you since you have your mind made up about anyone on the dole who is able to survive. If I was out on the streets, maybe you'd be happy. Maybe that wouldn't be good enough. But I'm not a leech, at least not what the state says anyhow.

• Advertisement

I was asking did YOU think you were too overly qualified, because that seems to be the ridiculous reason a lot of people give for not taking jobs available these days.

I see your point in a way, not a lot of people will give up the dole for a job that won't match or exceed the amount they get. But I can also see the other side of the argument, would you not prefer to be earning the money you get even if it was slightly less? Unless your circumstances were difficult where you literally couldn't afford to eat/have somewhere to live without that exact amount of money, I think it's difficult to fully agree with you.

I'm definitely a believer in getting more experience in your field or the field you want to go into...have you looked into internships? I took on an unpaid internship when I got fed up of getting nowhere with job applications (had no experience obviously so wasn't getting a look in), and I got a full time job in another company not too long afterwards.

I was asking did YOU think you were too overly qualified, because that seems to be the ridiculous reason a lot of people give for not taking jobs available these days.

I see your point in a way, not a lot of people will give up the dole for a job that won't match or exceed the amount they get. But I can also see the other side of the argument, would you not prefer to be earning the money you get even if it was slightly less? Unless your circumstances were difficult where you literally couldn't afford to eat/have somewhere to live without that exact amount of money, I think it's difficult to fully agree with you.

I'm definitely a believer in getting more experience in your field or the field you want to go into...have you looked into internships? I took on an unpaid internship when I got fed up of getting nowhere with job applications, and I got a full time job in another company not too long afterwards.

I know you were. It just made me laugh (not in a condescending way, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone call me cocky before, not that you were).

The thing is, you can view me as someone who feels they are entitled. And I do feel that way. I don't think anyone should work for less than what they would get on the dole. Regardless of if it's minimum wage or not. It's still insulting and disappointing to know "instead of working today, you coudl have been out looking for a job".

One of the worse times was when I switched from the dole to a part time job with shifts.

Completely crushing it was to get home 100-120 a week when your friends are getting 188 for doing "nothing".

You had me till the bolded part.

I like how you think I'm leeching. But hey, I'm done. I know you hate me. I know you think I'm scum/leech/scrounger/etc.

But you can guarantee I follow the rules. I don't try to con more than I deserve.

So that's that. I can't say anything that'll help you since you have your mind made up about anyone on the dole who is able to survive. If I was out on the streets, maybe you'd be happy. Maybe that wouldn't be good enough. But I'm not a leech, at least not what the state says anyhow.

It doesn't matter what the State says or does.

It's about what you know in your heart.

If you are turning down jobs or not applying for jobs and claiming the dole, then you are a disgrace.

Lower your expectations and you'll rediscover your dignity.

Plus it's easier to get a job when you have a job.

If you are turning down jobs or not applying for jobs and claiming the dole, then you are a disgrace.

Difference of opinion :)
    I know what I'm doing is fine. I'm a step above those that lie to the SW. That's all that matters is my opinion of myself. Not your opinion of me. You can again, continue to insult and degrade me all you wish. It won't work, sorry.

I know you were. It just made me laugh (not in a condescending way, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone call me cocky before, not that you were).

The thing is, you can view me as someone who feels they are entitled. And I do feel that way. I don't think anyone should work for less than what they would get on the dole. Regardless of if it's minimum wage or not. It's still insulting and disappointing to know "instead of working today, you coudl have been out looking for a job".

One of the worse times was when I switched from the dole to a part time job with shifts.

Completely crushing it was to get home 100-120 a week when your friends are getting 188 for doing "nothing".

Trust me, I know that feeling all too well. I remember working my ass off doing shifts in a shop, to save for my first car and insurance etc. One of my college friends turns up at my house in a near to new car, and when I asked her how she afforded it she said "saved my money on the dole for a few weeks".....a few weeks and there was I working for months to get an old car. But was it worth it? Absolutely! I was on €7 an hour back then, coming out with waaaay less than what I would have on the dole...but it's about the choices you make at the end of the day to be honest.

• Advertisement

Trust me, I know that feeling all too well. I remember working my ass off doing shifts in a shop, to save for my first car and insurance etc. One of my college friends turns up at my house in a near to new car, and when I asked her how she afforded it she said "saved my money on the dole for a few weeks".....a few weeks and there was I working for months to get an old car. But was it worth it? Absolutely! I was on €7 an hour back then, coming out with waaaay less than what I would have on the dole...but it's about the choices you make at the end of the day to be honest.

The worse part was going from the dole to that job. I was absolutely begging to be told "we don't want you" (which they did thankfully). The choices for me are easy to make: what's better, A or B. A gets me more money and lets me look for a job more often. B gets me less money (or sometimes more if I'm very lucky) and it's harder to get a job.

I go with A.

And your friends are also taking the piss out of the system as well.

And someone earlier was saying that it was only a small fraction tha are abusing the system??

The system is full of people like this.

Brutal Deluxe honestly what type of job are you looking for in Ireland? How old are you/

You obviously can't find it here in Ireland, there is a big wide world out there, why don't you head off and make a life for yourself.

And take your friends with you.

Difference of opinion :)
    I know what I'm doing is fine. I'm a step above those that lie to the SW. That's all that matters is my opinion of myself. Not your opinion of me. You can again, continue to insult and degrade me all you wish. It won't work, sorry.

You must be mixing me up with someone else...I've neither insulted not degraded you.

What you are doing however is not morally right. You are claiming social welfare when you could get a job.

Look into your heart, look in the mirror and apply for a job in Dino's.

And your friends are also taking the piss out of the system as well.

And someone earlier was saying that it was only a small fraction tha are abusing the system??

The system is full of people like this.

Brutal Deluxe honestly what type of job are you looking for in Ireland? How old are you/

You obviously can't find it here in Ireland, there is a big wide world out there, why don't you head off and make a life for yourself.

And take your friends with you.
    Okay, when you learn how to talk without insults and telling me to leave the country, get back to me.
    You must be mixing me up with someone else...I've neither insulted not degraded you.

What you are doing however is not morally right. You are claiming social welfare when you could get a job.

Look into your heart, look in the mirror and apply for a job in Dino's.

You said I was leeching. You think it's not morally right. I disagree. I think it's perfectly right and my morals are just fine. You also claim that if I don't live up to YOUR standards (by taking a job that you feel I should), I'm a disgrace.

So, call me more names, I don't care. I'm done talking to you since you obviously are incapable of listening to anything other than your own opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Well for all you Dole sponging haters i hope this pisses you off.

Im on the Scratch and i have just booked my Holiday

Sun Beer and good Times:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

In England

5 Day Break to visit family

Been saving for the last few months just to be able to drink 99p pints.

But 1 thing for certain i will be on the lookout for a job over there

This country is in tatters :mad:

Okay, when you learn how to talk without insults and telling me to leave the country, get back to me.

I will when you learn that the way you are acting right now is not correct and you are taking the piss out of the system at a time we cannot afford it to be done.

You need to grow up a lot.

I meant what I said. Not meant to be an insult, but this country would be far far better without the likes of you and from the sounds of it, your friends.

So you are actively looking for a job? What sort of work do you want to do? Not including how much money you'll make etc....that's not the best way to decide what you should do. And do you have skills/education/training that will make you appealing to an employer in this area of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

Ah here we go again..every thread on Boards that involves discussing the Economy or Welfare system ends up the same: Bitter, angry, prejudiced, stereotyping ignorance about welfare recipients on the right - Bitter, angry, frustrated, belittled and unemployed welfare recipients on the right..with a sprinkling of people who actually would like to have an adult discussion without having to resort to name calling..Both sides feel and have been jilted bar the odd few degenerates in Society that should not be used as a brush with which to tar an extremely large demographic. This attitude isn't going to get people anywhere, 'Together we fall divided we stand'.

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Well for all you Dole sponging haters i hope this pisses you off.

Im on the Scratch and i have just booked my Holiday

Sun Beer and good Times:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

In England

5 Day Break to visit family

Been saving for the last few months just to be able to drink 99p pints.

But 1 thing for certain i will be on the lookout for a job over there

This country is in tatters :mad:

If you see a few jobs going, please let Brutal Deluxe know about them also.

So you are actively looking for a job? What sort of work do you want to do? Not including how much money you'll make etc....that's not the best way to decide what you should do. And do you have skills/education/training that will make you appealing to an employer in this area of work?

I'm not talking about my personal situation. But suffice to say I am doing what I can. Though I will admit, my options limit me alot but again, that's personal.

Still, though, I am actively looking for a job to the best of the current situation

Sparks, no need to let me know, I wouldnt' be able to afford the trip and rent! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement