Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Cut the dole' they say: What the IMF wants, the IMF gets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I don't think there was anything racist about it. Ireland opened its doors to immirgration too quick. As far as I can remember when the nice treaty was passed there was a cap on the number allowed to come but that cap was broken and much, much more people came. This and at the same time the people that came and I'm sure many with good qualifications like teaching, dentistry, law, etc were forced into the low skilled/no skills areas because the higher professions were closed off to them. If higher professions were open to them there wouldn't have been much of an influx into the lower skills area. But if say for example teaching and the gardai were riddled overnight with immirgrants taking their jobs there would have been uproar from the unions. The doors should have been open to all professions or nothing. Instead many people from Eastern European and I'm sure highly skilled at home where they came from, came here and were forced into low skilled/no skills jobs here. Cutting us off at our feet. There's now a sickening perception that many irish were too good for these jobs when thats pure bullsh1t.

i wasnt saying that there was anything racist bout ur post sleep , but it seems the norm if you mention in any way the influx of non irish workers in to the country your branded a racist, which is completly silly but it has been done many times over.

Ive worked with foreign lads and if you for one second decided to choose an Irish worker to do a bit of overtime instead of the foreignor they scream racism.

But thats off the point whilst there are so many unemployed Irish workers be it low income or high skilled positions we should give first refusal to the people we know are going to pump the money back in to our economy and not send it out of the country. But thats just my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

maryk123 wrote: »
    my biggest grief is when someone turns 18 they are automatically entitled to the dole. to hand an 18 year old 100euro for doing nothing and contributing nothing does my head in. it should have to be earned to show teenagers you cant get something for nothing
    although this isnt talking about the dole,some teenagers are at the least significantly disabled from birth or aquire it before adulthood and usualy as a result of it they may have complex issues,high support needs,or challenging behavior,or major access issues [or any number of them] which in turn removes any opportunity to contribute before getting disability benefit.

though most people who generalise; just forget it isnt quite as simple as grouping all older teens claiming benefit as the same,there are many who havent got a clue or simply are ignorant to the fact severe or profound disability can affect people from birth onwards and we didnt get the chances in life, education and working that non disabled teens; who had the opportunities but still choose to claim benefits; get.
    sorry this isnt about the dole but just wanted to get it across.

Just came across this on another thread goes along with a previous comment made, be aware peopleits now goingto become that much more difficult to get a job.

My question is why on earth would the government agree to allow more foreign people work when theres little enough jobs for the people we already have looking. Does this also mean that once their allowed to work are they legally entitled to collect welfare.?

Anyway you can decide what you think

http://www.djei.ie/labour/workpermits/bulgariaromania.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

war_child wrote: »
    Just came across this on another thread goes along with a previous comment made, be aware peopleits now goingto become that much more difficult to get a job.

My question is why on earth would the government agree to allow more foreign people work when theres little enough jobs for the people we already have looking. Does this also mean that once their allowed to work are they legally entitled to collect welfare.?

God

i wasnt saying that there was anything racist bout ur post sleep , but it seems the norm if you mention in any way the influx of non irish workers in to the country your branded a racist, which is completly silly but it has been done many times over.

Ive worked with foreign lads and if you for one second decided to choose an Irish worker to do a bit of overtime instead of the foreignor they scream racism.

But thats off the point whilst there are so many unemployed Irish workers be it low income or high skilled positions we should give first refusal to the people we know are going to pump the money back in to our economy and not send it out of the country. But thats just my opinion

I know that war child. I didn't pick up any sort of a hint that you were calling me racist but no doubt my post will be picked apart in time for such. I was just saying that my post has nothing to do with racism but imirgration has failed us. We wouldn't be in this deep with huge unemployment if there were restrictions put in place for imirgrates and the Irish workers protected more.

• Advertisement

I know that war child. I didn't pick up any sort of a hint that you were calling me racist but no doubt my post will be picked apart in time for such. I was just saying that my post has nothing to do with racism but imirgration has failed us. We wouldn't be in this deep with huge unemployment if there were restrictions put in place for imirgrates and the Irish workers protected more.

Couldnt agree more , im sensing a march on the ole oireachtas soon maybe paint myself green white and orange , with my stack of bills in one hand and my social printout in the other , kinda like tryna fit a melon in to a lemon ders no way its gonna cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Start at the top First! Bloody free ipads, free travel, free grub,eight weeks holidays, a pension for few years so called work,Yes IMF start at the top but oh wait of course all them guys are in your club! and we aint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Last week, an assessment of the Irish economy by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) suggested cutting universal benefits such as child benefit and non-means tested pensions, saying they were “difficult to justify under present budgetary circumstances”. The review also pinpointed the household benefits package as a potential target for cuts.

Speaking of the IMF and benefits...

From todays Sunday paper.
    Joan Burton is planning to tax the child benefit payments of parents earning over €100,000.

In an interview with The Sunday Times last week, the social protection minister said she had asked an advisory group to examine how this might be done. “I think there’s scope for people who are in the happy position of having very high incomes, to make a contribution in terms of tax for child benefit,” Burton said.

“I don’t know if technically we’re at that point yet, but it’s certainly something that the advisory group has been in discussion with Revenue about.”

Burton’s plans would envisage taxing child benefit in a household where at least one parent is earning €100,000 or more. It would not be assessed on the basis of joint income. Sources said it is hoped the technical and legal problems around the taxation of such individuals will be resolved in time for the budget, but that this may not be possible.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1086488.ece

So those over 100,000 will be losing it or part of it?
    I dunno if its going to make a huge difference to be honest, at that hight earning rate, to the holding onto collected revenue by the Irish exchequer and retain more incomings than further outgoings!
    One document, prepared by the department earlier this year, says spending on fuel allowance rose from €82m to €250m between 2005 and 2011, an increase of over 200%. “Given the increase in numbers and costs, the scheme is unsustainable,” it says.
    Well maybe if the supply companies would stop upping the prices in huge hikes - the outgoings on that from the state might be lower? Huh?
    The FOI documents show that the department shares the concerns of the IMF about the cost of the household benefits package. One paper says the cost of electricity and gas allowances rose by 88% in the past six years,

Biggins wrote: »

I dunno if its going to make a huge difference to be honest, at that hight earning rate, to the holding onto collected revenue by the Irish exchequer and retain more incomings than further outgoings!

Well maybe if the supply companies would stop upping the prices in huge hikes - the outgoings on that from the state might be lower? Huh?

This is the problem we face biggins, whilst i agree with the first part that those with extremly high incomes should have their child allowance taken away , lets face it they dont need it , even at my highest wage scale i was no were near that kind of money but we lived perfectly fine.

Secondly regarding the price hikes in fuel i think the government should impose a cap on the companies that tend to increase their supply when demand is high. But biggins there are so many things wrong with this country its hard to focus on just one tiny aspect that needs a total over haul
    but its sunday and imnot gonna worry bout it till 2moro im on my own time now not the goverments lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

CucaFace wrote: »
    I see a lot of people talking about not getting interviews/jobs ect because of being over qualified.

Well then why don't you just create a different CV for these types of jobs?

You know that your degree's unfortunately won't be any use to you in say a chipper or supermarket, then why don't you go and create a new CV leaving out such details?

The end will justify the means.
    If I left out my work experience that would make me overqualified for shop work my CV would be blank. Do you really think that that would help me get a job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭jjll

i am going for simple bar work and i have been a manager and supervisor but get told i am over qualifed and they joke you would prob be after my job i am desperate fr work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jame Gumb

The child benefit stuff is just bullsh1t optics...typical Labour.

What's it gonna save? Very little.

Jame Gumb wrote: »

Yep, PR window-dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

If they can get a job and keep it for a decent amount of time they can if they are made redundant. But there's not a hope these people will start coming here in the numbers that various other Eastern Europeans came here in. They haven't a hope of finding employment here. Apparently there's 500 applicants for every job in some parts already. Even if that's a gross exaggeration and the real figure is 10% pf that, does anyone really think Romanians/Bulgarians will get in ahead of an Irish person with roots here and English as their mother tongue? We still have a minimum wage, so any talk of them undercutting anyone is rubbish. This is a meaningless gesture really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

token101 wrote: »
    If they can get a job and keep it for a decent amount of time they can if they are made redundant. But there's not a hope these people will start coming here in the numbers that various other Eastern Europeans came here in. They haven't a hope of finding employment here. Apparently there's 500 applicants for every job in some parts already. Even if that's a gross exaggeration and the real figure is 10% pf that, does anyone really think Romanians/Bulgarians will get in ahead of an Irish person with roots here and English as their mother tongue? We still have a minimum wage, so any talk of them undercutting anyone is rubbish. This is a meaningless gesture really.

I'm sure there's a good few jobs they would do that a lot of Irish people wouldn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I'm sure there's a good few jobs they would do that a lot of Irish people wouldn't do.

Well then there's no reason why these guys shouldn't be allowed to take them. It's up to the government to incentivise people to work by cutting dole/allowing people to keep x amount of their dole for certain periods or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Yep, PR window-dressing.

Perhaps the amount it saves could be considered window dressing, but handing welfare to people who dont need it still necessary. The entire welfare system is in need of a huge overhaul and it has to be started from somewhere.

I would hope this is the begiining of a serious of measures/changes that means help goes to those who need it and we are not also handing hundreds of millions to scammers and the undeserving. Possibly being more than a little naive and this may well be the only measure we see.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Perhaps the amount it saves could be considered window dressing, but handing welfare to people who dont need it still necessary. The entire welfare system is in need of a huge overhaul and it has to be started from somewhere.

I would hope this is the begiining of a serious of measures/changes that means help goes to those who need it and we are not also handing hundreds of millions to scammers and the undeserving. Possibly being more than a little naive and this may well be the only measure we see.
    I totally agree they have to start somewhere but a 100K line?
    I'm unsure if thats going to make an significant difference - if its a start then so well and good.

I totally agree they have to start somewhere but a 100K line?
    I'm unsure if thats going to make an significant difference - if its a start then so well and good.

Personally i would expect them to start lower somewere in the region of 50-60k but hey as u said biggins 100 is a start. Id also like the government to initialise a programme that lowers the cost of living expenses because how can they (with a striaght face) expect to lower the national welfare payment but continue with the stupidly high cost of living. As i said to many things to correct.

And just as a side thought , yet another rich CRIMINAL (QUINN) has been given special treatment ,not in to general population but given a training wing all to his lonesome. This country makes me sick....The rich getter richer while the poor..sorry what, the poor , im sorry i couldnt comment on that , we have no information regarding the poor of ireland ....Comical.

How much of the governments money is it costing to house this fella Hmmmm enquiring minds would like to know?????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Taxing all income is a great idea, something I never thought of. For some reason Unemployment and Sickness Benefit is taxable, earned through PRSI, but not the Dole!

You are still subject to tax credits, PAYE worker or Welfare recipient, everybody treated equally.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

yet another rich CRIMINAL (QUINN) has been given special treatment ,not in to general population but given a training wing all to his lonesome.

Maybe they have plans to fill it full of others of his ilk. An extension to it would probably be needed if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Jame Gumb wrote: »

And yet people are constantly gunning for tokenistic cuts to TDs benefits and salaries which would also save very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭peewee_44

If they cut it again we have no choice to move out the country and goto the uk where I have free child care should a job pop up, myself and partner both want to work full time but nothing there to cut our money again is madness how are we expected to feed, clothe and keep a roof over our childs head

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

maun wrote: »
    It's definitely time the dole was cut, its way too high. I finished college in May and had done 4 interviews in the last few months of college. I have a job which I started 3 weeks ago and was called for more interviews.. all i can see are lazy wasters who won't work. I'm 22 and have worked more than many of them over the last 6 years I'd imagine. And don't get me started on disability allowance.. The dole is for scroungers and they're not worth the money they are getting. I hope to God it is cut more soon.

You've convinced me!

Look lads, we have an intelligent one here...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

fat__tony wrote: »
    You've convinced me!

Look lads, we have an intelligent one here...:rolleyes:

I agree!

Lets wheel dem scrougers down to the local chipper for a job.

And lets not forget the mentally disabled.
    Fookers are putting it on as far as I'm concerned:pac:

Ah, the arrogance of youth, wonderful thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

ireland, as many other country's also will...see changes in the next few years that they never dreamed would happen (just as many of the older generation never dreamed that life would as good as it is now)......
    there will have to be many changes....and of course the will not be welcome......

but they will happen, they will have to happen......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

ireland, as many other country's also will...see changes in the next few years that they never dreamed would happen (just as many of the older generation never dreamed that life would as good as it is now)......
    there will have to be many changes....and of course the will not be welcome......

but they will happen, they will have to happen......

I concur.

Lets begin with culling the underclasses.
    Throw the sick, disabled and downtrodden on a pyre and get it roaring.

That should have Europe rubbing it's hands with glee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

mishkalucy wrote: »
    I concur.

Lets begin with culling the underclasses.
    Throw the sick, disabled and downtrodden on a pyre and get it roaring.

That should have Europe rubbing it's hands with glee

well, it is up to the government to see that everything possile is done to protect the most vulnerable.....

what can be afforded must be given to those who can least afford to do without it....

there are many thing that can be done to achieve a fairer society......but that fairness can only be achieved with what is affordable.......

if money is borrowed...at a 5% rate......that means everybody gets 5% less than they could have had, or 5% less people get it.......

Joan Burton just appears to be doing something just for the sake of appearing to do them.

Useless idea taxing it for a parent that earns for 100,000 euro. Useless just like herself and herself and her slaveship scheme and the exploitations that's allowed to happen within that scheme.

The entire CA benefit should be overhauled. Like reducing the CA payments per child instead of upping it. Also replace it with vouchers and stamps to be used in shops here. Then look at high earners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Were the country awash with unfilled jobs then absolutely I'd say slash the dole in half and get everyone back working. But the jobs simply aren't there.

People can't be forced back to work when there isn't any. Slashing social welfare payments only cuts spending power even further and takes more money out of the economy. Solves nothing and would only further depress a retail dector already on its knees.

Job creation is what's desperatley needed and it's the only thing that's going to get the country back on its feet. But that would require politicians with a bit of vision and imagination and forward-thinking (i.e beyond the next election) and we know how many of those there are in Leinster House.

Easier to come out with soundbites about cutting this and taxing that while doing nothing to actually tackle the root of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭chainsawman

I feel if the dole is cut, a lot of em would be going back to their country, plain and simple. I have been told that the dole here in Ireland is four times than they get back iin their country. I dont blame them for coming here for a good dole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

I feel if the dole is cut, a lot of em would be going back to their country, plain and simple. I have been told that the dole here in Ireland is four times than they get back iin their country. I dont blame them for coming here for a good dole.

Well in order to be eligible for the dole, you have had to live here 2 years and have worked in that time as well...

So it's not just a matter of flying over and signing up for free money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Do any other countries allow people to receive the dole or equivalent for 3 months (I think) after they move to another country? (there is a thread about this in the state benefits forum on here, just can't find it now)

It should be means tested, you can't just make a blanket cut, you will be taking it from people who actually need it. Start means testing people who have been on the dole since they dropped out of school in the 80s/90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭emul8ter25

Piste wrote: »
    And yet people are constantly gunning for tokenistic cuts to TDs benefits and salaries which would also save very little.

Why should they not receive cuts as well?

They are the ones deciding to cut public sector wages, cut benefits, raise the retirement age, etc etc... yet never for themselves! Thats a load of bull****. They are among the highest paid politicians anywhere. And then receiving multiple pensions and all those other benefits... its legal thievery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Do any other countries allow people to receive the dole or equivalent for 3 months (I think) after they move to another country? (there is a thread about this in the state benefits forum on here, just can't find it now)
    It should be means tested, you can't just make a blanket cut, you will be taking it from people who actually need it. Start means testing people who have been on the dole since they dropped out of school in the 80s/90s.

:confused::confused:
    Yes, it is an EU rule and applies across all EU states.
    The dole(JA) is means-tested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

emul8ter25 wrote: »
    Why should they not receive cuts as well?

They are the ones deciding to cut public sector wages, cut benefits, raise the retirement age, etc etc... yet never for themselves! Thats a load of bull****. They are among the highest paid politicians anywhere. And then receiving multiple pensions and all those other benefits... its legal thievery.

We all agree that they're overpaid but I think what he meant is that the actual amount of money it would save isn't anything to get excited about and would make little difference.

Whatever about their salaries what really needs to be looked at is the perks and benefits end of it. The pensions in particular are outrageously generous. Plus the early retirement in the public sector compared with 66 now in the private sector. I see no justification for that disparity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

This myth is repeated an awful lot with fuck all to back it up. A small minority of those on welfare would turn their noses up at a menial level job, the majority, would snap your arm off.

I remember over Christmas that RTE interviewed hundreds of people queuing up for seasonal minimum wage jobs at Argos. All Irish. All unemployed. Queuing up for hours in the hope of getting an interview.

Yet some flutes still peddle the all Irish are lazy/wont work menial jobs spiel.

Load of bollix.

Well in order to be eligible for the dole, you have had to live here 2 years and have worked in that time as well...

Wrong. You have to be habitually resident. Those that have worked for two years paying PRSI qualify for JB.

To get Jobseeker's Allowance you must:
    Be unemployed
    Be over 18 and under 66 years of age
    Be capable of work
    Be available for and genuinely seeking work
    Satisfy the means test
    Meet the Habitual Residence Condition
    No mention of two years work there, pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Kinski wrote: »
    For someone to do that, they'd have to leave gaps on their CV: "Where were you during the past four years?" "Why, I was pursuing a PhD...*erm* I mean I was at home, doing nothing." "Ok, you're so not hired."

By the by, I have known people who've done this (remarkably, you're not the first person to think of it), but you're not really supposed to make stuff up.

No you're not supposed to do it, but then again the people who are looking at CV's really shouldn't be dismissing over qualified people either on the basis that they have gone to college. That's wrong.

Its very easy fill in CV's to suit whatever you are looking for.

I had some friends who worked in recruitment who would actually do it back in the day to help get someone into roles.

All part of the BS game that is interviews in my opinion.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Wrong. You have to be habitually resident. Those that have worked for two years paying PRSI qualify for JB.

By this info is Jobseekers allowance given to those who came for work and perhaps found themselves unemployed after a few months?

• Advertisement

By this info is Jobseekers allowance given to those who came for work and perhaps found themselves unemployed after a few months?

Yes. Prove you are habitually resident and you can receive it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

You have to be here more than a "few months" to prove habitual residency.

Habitually resident is 6 months, isn't it?

That's crazy.

So there would be some people here from abroad who worked very little and claim this jobseekers allowance. No doubt a rate that would be much preferable to their own home country.

SocSocPol wrote: »

I'll have a look on citizens information.

SocSocPol wrote: »

Do you really? News to me.

Heres the form; http://www.welfare.ie/en/Forms/Documents/hrc1.pdf

Irish and European law set down the following five factors to be considered when deciding if you are habitually resident:
    Your main centre of interest, based on facts such as:
    whether you own or lease a home here,
    where your close family members live,
    whether you belong to social or professional associations here, and
    any other evidence or activities indicating a settled residence in Ireland

Prove you are settled in Ireland and its your main centre of interest(rent, ESB bills etc) and you will meet the HRC.

Of course next time someone brings this up in another thread you will repeat the lie that immigrants must have worked for two years before they receive a cent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Habitual residency regulation will stop people from getting the payment unless they have family here, are Irish. I remember when I was filling out my claim, thinking to myself that it would be hard to get on the dole unless you were able to satisfy all the provisions.

I'll try and dig out my copy of my application for the exact wording.

Habitual residency regulation will stop people from getting the payment unless they have family here, are Irish. I remember when I was filling out my claim, thinking to myself that it would be hard to get on the dole unless you were able to satisfy all the provisions.

I'll try and dig out my copy of my application for the exact wording.

Ive posted the exact document above.

The criteria for HRC is open to interpretation. For example, Ive heard of returning Irish emigrants who were over in Australia for a year or two getting refused it, but their buddies, who were away for the exact same length of time as them, have their claims accepted.

I suspect it heavily depends on the welfare officer one is dealing with.

The first thing that's going to happen if the dole is cut by 40% is that a lot of people will suddenly find themselves moving home. Rent in this country is ridiculous and with very few places accepting rent allowance and most not getting there's going to be a mass migration home to mammy and daddy. Someone getting the basic 188 a week is most likely spending 70-80 a week on rent and another 10-15 a week on ESB. If the dole is cut by the 40% figure being banded about then that would leave the average person with 112 euro a week to pay rent, bills and to live on. It simply is not possible to do so unless the rental market was to be completely over hauled. People could be left with as little as 20 euro a week to pay for groceries and all other expenses. Things are bad atm and there isn't much sign of any light at the end of the tunnel yet but were such a drastic cut to occur to the dole then things will suddenly get a hell of a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

The habitual resistance debate is an interesting topic especially considering that the Irish government have recently opened our boarders to Romanian & Bulgarian workers.

I find it bizarre that there are very few jobs here yet our government suddenly feels the need to allow more people to move here to flood the already saturated jobs market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

The first thing that's going to happen if the dole is cut by 40% is that a lot of people will suddenly find themselves moving home. Rent in this country is ridiculous and with very few places accepting rent allowance and most not getting there's going to be a mass migration home to mammy and daddy. Someone getting the basic 188 a week is most likely spending 70-80 a week on rent and another 10-15 a week on ESB. If the dole is cut by the 40% figure being banded about then that would leave the average person with 112 euro a week to pay rent, bills and to live on. It simply is not possible to do so unless the rental market was to be completely over hauled. People could be left with as little as 20 euro a week to pay for groceries and all other expenses. Things are bad atm and there isn't much sign of any light at the end of the tunnel yet but were such a drastic cut to occur to the dole then things will suddenly get a hell of a lot worse.

And what if mammy and daddy dont have room for juniour moving home?
    Maybe they downsized or they grew old and had to be put in a home where the selling of the house was needed. Or worse that the parents had died and the house was sold.

The idea of moving back home for some people with young families is not an option. Would you move back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement